April 27, 2024, 03:45:02 PM

Author Topic: General LF Discussion  (Read 1128364 times)

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: General LF Discussion
« Reply #3570 on: September 15, 2011, 02:15:09 PM »
I got word that it's still testing due to viewer feedback. It's mist likely going to be a permanent change but if we do complain, they'll yank the lbar locals out

Offline WeatherStarXL

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: MediaCom
  • HD Channel #: 753
  • HD WxStar ID #: I2xD
  • SD Channel #: 42
  • SD WxStar ID #: I2Jr
« Reply #3571 on: September 15, 2011, 02:21:13 PM »
I got word that it's still testing due to viewer feedback. It's mist likely going to be a permanent change but if we do complain, they'll yank the lbar locals out
I just got a reply back too.
"Effective Mon, 9/12, we started using a squeeze back Local on the 8s during most live programming at :08, :18, :38 and :48.  Full screen locals will remain as is at :28 / :58. It is most likely a permanent change, although we do continue to monitor viewer feedback. I will be sure to forward your note to our Locals team.
Thank you for letting us know what you think."

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #3572 on: September 15, 2011, 02:30:13 PM »
"Effective Mon, 9/12, we started using a squeeze back Local on the 8s during most live programming at :08, :18, :38 and :48.  Full screen locals will remain as is at :28 / :58. It is most likely a permanent change, although we do continue to monitor viewer feedback. I will be sure to forward your note to our Locals team.

:cry3: :cry3: :cry3:

What possible benefit do they think this has?  For viewers who actually watch The Weather Channel for weather information, very little.  Unfortunately, this isn't the audience TWC is interested in anymore.  :(

Offline WeatherStarXL

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: MediaCom
  • HD Channel #: 753
  • HD WxStar ID #: I2xD
  • SD Channel #: 42
  • SD WxStar ID #: I2Jr
« Reply #3573 on: September 15, 2011, 02:38:07 PM »

What possible benefit do they think this has?  For viewers who actually watch The Weather Channel for weather information, very little.  Unfortunately, this isn't the audience TWC is interested in anymore.  :(
I know. I would watch it a lot to get my local info and I liked most of the music as well, but since I can only get my local info at 28/58.. I will most likely get my weather information elsewhere.

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #3574 on: September 15, 2011, 02:40:48 PM »

I know. I would watch it a lot to get my local info and I liked most of the music as well, but since I can only get my local info at 28/58.. I will most likely get my weather information elsewhere.

Ah well, just another reason not to rely on the Weather Channel for real weather anymore. If the message wasn't clear before, it surely is now, with a big exclamation point. Not a big deal in the big scheme of things, but it is certainly a real bummer for loyal TWC viewers. It bothered me at first, but at this point, I really don't even care if they drop music and/or LFs altogether (which I guarantee they'll do in the future). Life moves on. There are other sources to find out weather.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 02:43:00 PM by TampaMillTWC88 »
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: September 15, 2011, 02:44:28 PM »
Thank god I'm not a meteorology major. TWC would be the last place I would use to check my local weather info..

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #3576 on: September 15, 2011, 03:06:02 PM »

Ah well, just another reason not to rely on the Weather Channel for real weather anymore. If the message wasn't clear before, it surely is now, with a big exclamation point. Not a big deal in the big scheme of things, but it is certainly a real bummer for loyal TWC viewers. It bothered me at first, but at this point, I really don't even care if they drop music and/or LFs altogether (which I guarantee they'll do in the future). Life moves on. There are other sources to find out weather.

I believe that's doubtful, I don't think it will get any more radical with changes than it has already w/ the LF squeezeback. I don't see the :28/:58 forecasts going anywhere.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #3577 on: September 15, 2011, 03:38:07 PM »
Looks like TWC got what they wished for with the change = viewership   IStar/IS2 and satellite will get the 1:00 or 1:30 depending on content (no new sceens will be added) and the XL will get nothing relating to the squeezeback
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 03:42:41 PM by Alex »

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #3578 on: September 15, 2011, 04:20:02 PM »
TWC employees have (or at least should have) more important things to do than read a petition trying to save the LOT8s.

I went all over with this post, please try to follow along.  :rolleyes:

Here is my thing about the LOT8's. It was a revolution for its time. It was great, until the internet came along. People began going online to get their weather. Yes, most have a computer, but for those who don't (or the elderly, for an example), they need local weather information! Perhaps they could get it at the 5pm news, but it is only current for that moment. Those with an XL - out of luck. Those with a 4000 - out of luck. If TWC isn't going to provide WEATHER or force an IStar upgrade (decommission XL, 4K, and Jr), they need to go off the air, or make it a permanent channel meant for one thing that turned into another (aka., MTV, VH1, etc.) - CRAP.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: September 15, 2011, 04:48:09 PM »
Thank god I'm not a meteorology major. TWC would be the last place I would use to check my local weather info..

I'm confused. What does a meteorology major have to do with this?
Tiddlywinks.

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #3580 on: September 15, 2011, 05:36:13 PM »
TWC employees have (or at least should have) more important things to do than read a petition trying to save the LOT8s.

I went all over with this post, please try to follow along.  :rolleyes:

Here is my thing about the LOT8's. It was a revolution for its time. It was great, until the internet came along. People began going online to get their weather. Yes, most have a computer, but for those who don't (or the elderly, for an example), they need local weather information! Perhaps they could get it at the 5pm news, but it is only current for that moment. Those with an XL - out of luck. Those with a 4000 - out of luck. If TWC isn't going to provide WEATHER or force an IStar upgrade (decommission XL, 4K, and Jr), they need to go off the air, or make it a permanent channel meant for one thing that turned into another (aka., MTV, VH1, etc.) - CRAP.

Yup. You forgot to add Nickelodeon, TLC, and Disney to that list. No TV channel is the same now.
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: September 15, 2011, 07:26:24 PM »

I'm confused. What does a meteorology major have to do with this?
cuz that's where I actually had a passion of the weather, from observing and learning the weather information that was displayed on my XL and IS over the years. Also, if I was majoring in meteorology I would be inclined to check the LOT8s more often for weather forecasts and observations.

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #3582 on: September 15, 2011, 07:39:21 PM »
I don't hate the squeezeback, but I just see it to be an unnecessary feature, as--well, in my case--it's hard to see the pictures and weather info TWC is displaying with the squeezeback. Plus, I just don't see how people will watch what TWC is airing while they are trying to see the local forecast. I think the squeezeback is less attractive, and I think more people like the background music than some would think. (I've even seen TWC on at gas stations because of the local forecast during storms.) We can rant all we want, but that's not going to change anything. Either we can accept the changes or watch a different channel. I honestly find the local news to provide much better, more accurate weather info as it is specifically designated to you a specific area. I will miss the local forecast every 10 minutes if this is a permanent thing. It's a pretty big change for me, but, like I said, we can either just roll with it or not because complaining won't do a thing.

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #3583 on: September 15, 2011, 07:47:18 PM »
TWC needs to provide to everybody a Weatherscan unit. That way, we get to hear the music AND get our LF.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: September 15, 2011, 07:47:34 PM »
It's too distracting as well. I don't know whether to check the local weather information or to check the weather coverage.