April 27, 2024, 09:51:56 AM

Author Topic: General LF Discussion  (Read 1127946 times)

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: General LF Discussion
« Reply #3555 on: September 14, 2011, 04:37:33 PM »
The squeezeback has been on since this morning. I don't know about overnight though..

It was last night, I was kinda surprised.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #3556 on: September 14, 2011, 05:04:28 PM »
The LF's have basically been discontinued on normal programming excluding WUWA and YWT because of the current testing. just be lucky the :28 and :58 haven't been removed yet.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #3557 on: September 14, 2011, 05:21:29 PM »
Where in the hell are you guys getting this info that the :08/:18/:38/:48 LFs were discontinued? There were LFs at 5:38, 5:48, and 6:08 this morning :huh:

EDIT: whoa... i see what you guys mean now :blink: squeezeback @ 4:08 PM ET

Where've you been, Zach? :P

The LF's have basically been discontinued on normal programming excluding WUWA and YWT because of the current testing. just be lucky the :28 and :58 haven't been removed yet.

Now I just can't see that happening. That seems like such a waste with the IS2 and LOT8s promotion (done a couple of years ago). These half-hour LOT8s are kind of like the "live weather update" during long-form, with the "live weather" being specific to your area (unless you have the National Feed).

Offline spinnerwv

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • SD Channel #: 28
  • SD WxStar ID #: 03028
« Reply #3558 on: September 14, 2011, 05:38:45 PM »
I wonder what is going through the minds of the cable companies that use the XL and other units.  Now they got an unit costing over $6,000 that now will only show a local forecast twice an hour and a cable ID.  TWC needs to either upgrade the units to produce a L bar forecast or replace the units with the intellistar(at no cost to the cable provider).  I wouldn't be surprised that these cable operators take legal action against Comcast or drop TWC from their line-up.   

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #3559 on: September 14, 2011, 06:36:07 PM »
TWC has made some dumb decisions over the years (Flick and a Forecast, Peter Lik, "Primed for Excitement", rock music, longform, etc), but this really takes the cake. For all I care, they may eventually drop the LOT8s altogether in the future. There needs to be a petition to return LFs on the 8s of each hour during live programming, as there was a petition to return smooth jazz to TWC. If this two LF per hour trend continues, I will no longer tune in to TWC, because it doesn't make the slightest bit of sense to wait til :28 or :58 for a true local forecast.  :club:  I really hope they weren't naive enough to believe that our request for more weather coverage meant at the expense of locals.   :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 06:44:50 PM by TampaMillTWC88 »
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #3560 on: September 14, 2011, 07:37:20 PM »
I totally agree with you TampaMillTWC88. We need to sign a petition, each of us, although we would need a lot of people, maybe more than everyone on this site. Who knows, I'm just hoping this isn't a permanent thing.
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3561 on: September 14, 2011, 07:48:04 PM »
Here's where to start the petition

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #3562 on: September 14, 2011, 07:51:34 PM »
Here's where to start the petition

I don't want to start it, I want to make sure I have all right info before I make it. If someone else can make it, I would be glad.  :yes:
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #3563 on: September 14, 2011, 08:27:43 PM »
In light of recent events, I have decided to review a few of my videos but found instead a few good songs that TWC aired. I think they need to air "Push to Start" by Paul Taylor, "Perfect Clarity" by Ryan Farish, and "One More Time" by Brian Simpson.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: September 14, 2011, 09:11:53 PM »
Guys, I'm just going to be frank: this is really getting out-of-hand. First off, we don't know 100% if this is even going to be permanent. Alex said they were just "testing" something.

Second of all, I highly doubt a petition is going to help at all. TWC employees have (or at least should have) more important things to do than read a petition trying to save the LOT8s.

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #3565 on: September 14, 2011, 09:21:04 PM »
Guys, I'm just going to be frank: this is really getting out-of-hand. First off, we don't know 100% if this is even going to be permanent. Alex said they were just "testing" something.

Second of all, I highly doubt a petition is going to help at all. TWC employees have (or at least should have) more important things to do than read a petition trying to save the LOT8s.

Like getting the L Bar and LDL back on longfrom!  I know TWC can do it if they want to. Saw it Sat night.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #3566 on: September 14, 2011, 11:13:30 PM »
No one believed me, but I said a while back (and I'm not going to look it up) that with the L-bar, TWC will probably start using that to replace the local forecast segments.  And... it looks like they're testing just that.

If they're going to rely on the L-bar (and the occasional LDL alone) for "local forecasts," I wish they'd at least bring back the expanded LDL.  That would give us more information - precious little as it is already without the full local forecast.

And everyone's right about non-Intellistar viewers - those poor people are really missing out on their local weather.

Offline KevOwensby

• View Profile
    • YouTube
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 2002
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31755
  • SD Channel #: 2
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22909
  • WxScan Ch. #: 270
  • WxScan ID #: 31067
« Reply #3567 on: September 15, 2011, 12:35:50 AM »

I'm not trying to be rude at all, in any way, but I'm honestly waiting for someone to say they're contacting a senator.

Lawsuits, trying to call a corporate office... and now petitions? Come on, guys. It sucks, it's annoying, I'm not a fan of it at all... but I honestly think most of you are more mad about the lack of music than the lack of local weather. It's The Weather Channel, not MTV. I've never talked to anyone, ever, that cared about the music they play during the LOT8's (including me) until I found this forum. They want to see the radar and what the forecast is. Let's face it, most of us are diehard TWC fans or we wouldn't care about coming to this forum. The majority of the viewing population is not. The best way to let them know you'd like the LOT8's back is to use their Feedback or Contact Us pages on weather.com.

Again, I'm not trying to be rude... but let's calm down a bit here.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: September 15, 2011, 10:21:25 AM »
I agree with Kev on this one. Besides, as sad as it is, petitions are not nearly as effective as you think they are. Just because all of us may have signed it and passed it on to the desk of the producers and TWC doesn't mean they are obligated to make that change. Let's be honest: we're an extremely small percentage of the viewers of TWC at any given day. Just 50 or 60 signatures won't do anything. To make them even consider, you need signatures probably in the thousands.

This is one of those situations where you calm down and you deal with change. If you don't like it, if you absolutely can't stand it, then don't watch. It's that simple. I made that decision months ago.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3569 on: September 15, 2011, 11:05:41 AM »
and they must be testing this for reasons we don't even know about.