April 27, 2024, 01:37:10 PM

Author Topic: General LF Discussion  (Read 1128205 times)

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: General LF Discussion
« Reply #3540 on: September 13, 2011, 02:53:56 PM »
With some headends using the legacy STARs; ironically, the lack of LFs should have been a violation against FCC standards.

While I agree with you in theory, I don't think there's actually any FCC regulation requiring any cable network to display weather warnings.  What the FCC does require, however, is that the display of local weather warnings be accompanied by an audible tone.  This is why the WeatherStar III had to be retired: it was capable of producing a tone (assuming it still worked on any given unit) only during the first display of a warning, but not on any subsequent warnings.  An upgrade to conform to FCC regulations would have been too expensive and time-consuming for a 20-year-old computer system.

By its nature, the national feed local forecast/L-bar/LDL can only give so much information.  Even when it shows weather advisories and warnings on a national map, they're not detailed enough to warrant the warning tone: a tone for a tornado warning in ABC county in Texas would be not only worthless, but actually "crying wolf" for a viewer in XYZ County in Montana watching the national feed forecast.

I do agree with you 100%, though, that the loss of non-Intellistar LDLs and the lack of non-Intellistar L-bars is a major drawback for TWC's viewership.  Non-Intellistars are now able to broadcast anything (not counting weather advisories) only during regular local forecast segments - and those are becoming fewer and fewer in number, apparently.  While the Intellistar is used in a lot of headends, it's not used everywhere, leaving so many TWC viewers without their own local weather for large amounts of time.  The "tune to Weatherscan instead" argument doesn't even work, considering how few people have it.

Offline KevOwensby

• View Profile
    • YouTube
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 2002
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31755
  • SD Channel #: 2
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22909
  • WxScan Ch. #: 270
  • WxScan ID #: 31067
« Reply #3541 on: September 13, 2011, 04:39:17 PM »
I really could care less about the music at all. I just want the information the LOT8's provides. The squeezeback needs to be redone if they're going to continue using it on a constant basis. There's a lot of empty screen space that could be utilized with information, especially on the HD feed. Just my opinion. I also don't like that the people who have XL's, etc still don't get the local info on a squeezeback. I have friends that live in Carbondale, KS with Mediacom. They don't have an Intellistar. That means they rarely get local weather information. I'm just lucky I have Weatherscan here in Topeka.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #3542 on: September 13, 2011, 06:27:36 PM »
The "tune to Weatherscan instead" argument doesn't even work, considering how few people have it.

Thank you so much for mentioning this, Eric. :thumbsup: I am tired of hearing how people always say "If you don't have a LOT8s, then you can always tune to WeatherScan" because it is not available for all cable companies!

Question: Does YWT transition directly from live coverage to LOT8s?

Here's something I've thought of. The use of normal LOT8s during peak shows (such as WUWA and YWT) and the squeezeback during less peak shows such as DP kind of reminds me of what they did with the big (33%) LDL when they had it. The LOT8s is used normally during peak shows because viewership is high (this unfortunately does NOT explain why it is not used on WCL). On the contrary, the squeezeback is used on less peak shows. Just a theory...

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #3543 on: September 13, 2011, 06:50:05 PM »
Like i said before anyone who has an XL is basically like someone who can't access the internet for weather = screwed because now we know TWC loves the 2mins at 28/58 just for extra weather coverage during other times of the schedule.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #3544 on: September 13, 2011, 06:52:02 PM »
The "tune to Weatherscan instead" argument doesn't even work, considering how few people have it.

Thank you so much for mentioning this, Eric. :thumbsup: I am tired of hearing how people always say "If you don't have a LOT8s, then you can always tune to WeatherScan" because it is not available for all cable companies!

Question: Does YWT transition directly from live coverage to LOT8s?
-Yes, but IDK if it's for every LF though.

Here's something I've thought of. The use of normal LOT8s during peak shows (such as WUWA and YWT) and the squeezeback during less peak shows such as DP kind of reminds me of what they did with the big (33%) LDL when they had it. The LOT8s is used normally during peak shows because viewership is high (this unfortunately does NOT explain why it is not used on WCL). On the contrary, the squeezeback is used on less peak shows. Just a theory...

Good theory, but like you said that doesn't really explain why WCL was using the squeezeback last night. I thought WCL was a fairly high rated show. In fact I thought only DP was the lowest rated because it comes on during the day when most people are not at home.

As for Weatherscan: Try this for worst case scenario, How about having Weatherscan available in your area, but you can't watch it because the Crapfinity wants to screw you out of as much money as possible by pushing it up on a higher, more expensive digital cable package than you had before which they have done once before in the past. <_< And this is even better, they leave us with a defunct NBC Weatherplus station that only shows a radar w/ no sound and both of these channels are on the lineup right next to eachother! :facepalm:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 06:59:55 PM by Weatherlover »

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #3545 on: September 13, 2011, 07:22:39 PM »
I'm going to be pissed though if this is indeed the format they're going to stick with for the long-run though. I thought the NBC corps mentioned the Local on the 8s are an integral and vital part of the network? Nowadays, I only watch TWC to listen to the music and to check my weather forecast - all of which are in the LOT8s. If they are planning on permanently removing the LOT8s, then playlists will probably be at jeopardy. While I don't think there's a danger to the playlists yet, I can't think what TWC would be without the playlists then. I'm sure many artists would be bummed

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #3546 on: September 13, 2011, 07:48:30 PM »
I never knew a lot of the artists on TWC until their songs premiered on the LF.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: September 13, 2011, 08:03:11 PM »
I smell a lawsuit :P

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #3548 on: September 13, 2011, 08:04:53 PM »

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #3549 on: September 13, 2011, 09:10:56 PM »
I don't see the point of the L-Bar. Just to get a minute and a half of more coverage? Really??? TWC must be really desperate. It seems that this would be a permanent thing. Looks like we may need to take some action  :club:

Taking action is not going to help. ;) Most likely the use of the L-Bar is due to flooding coverage that will, obviously once again, boost their ratings. However, is there also a possibility that TWC thinks (or knows) viewers will tune-in if they extend their live coverage by scaling down on the LOT8s? I know to us its horrific, but we did say we would prefer more weather coverage, especially if it ads up over the hour. :thinking:
But do you think extending the coverage by a minute and 30 seconds really helps? :dunno: No offense but I don't think they need to keep doing extensive coverage on the flooding. The rain (for the most part) has stopped and most of the rivers have receded below flood stage. Of course the destruction caused is terrible, but just to get a minute and 30 seconds more or coverage? I know that it adds up to the amount of coverage but I don't think it's all too necessary just for the coverage of flooding. Btw, I didn't really mean that we needed to take action, just joking  :rofl2:
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 09:13:38 PM by GTAIVman »
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline ap215

• View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: September 14, 2011, 11:17:08 AM »
I've noticed one change they've done since this new format started no vocals which i watched Wake Up With Al they use to do vocal segments during the local on the 8's and now that's gone and as far as a lawsuit goes as Local just mentioned yeah i sense it too as well.

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #3551 on: September 14, 2011, 01:54:23 PM »
I smell a lawsuit :P

I agree, because these artists will end up wasting their time and money in recording and submitting music to TWC. As I said earlier, having only two LFs defeats the purpose of even having a playlist. What is the use of having a playlist if several songs end up not being played? Plus, those who don't have Intellistar will have no idea what is going on in their area.  <_<
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: September 14, 2011, 03:25:05 PM »
If it's permanent, one of three scenarios could happen:

1) The playlists will be discontinued
2) They will switch to 1 or 2 production songs, similiar to what TWN has
3) The playlists will be reduced. There's no way I can see them continuing 40+ song playlists if they are only showing 2 LF's. Besides, the playlists are already full of repeats. This would just solve the repeat issue as well

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #3553 on: September 14, 2011, 03:56:30 PM »
Where in the hell are you guys getting this info that the :08/:18/:38/:48 LFs were discontinued? There were LFs at 5:38, 5:48, and 6:08 this morning :huh:

EDIT: whoa... i see what you guys mean now :blink: squeezeback @ 4:08 PM ET
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 04:11:11 PM by Zach »
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: September 14, 2011, 04:31:28 PM »
The squeezeback has been on since this morning. I don't know about overnight though..