April 27, 2024, 03:43:00 PM

Author Topic: General LF Discussion  (Read 1128363 times)

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: General LF Discussion
« Reply #4905 on: September 24, 2013, 06:26:21 PM »
IntelliSTAR #26203, Pullman, WA. The headend is Time Warner Cable.

TWC IntelliSTAR- Pullman, WA- Sep. 23, 2013- 7:28AM PDT

I once saw a WeatherSTAR XL on this headend about 8 years ago  :yes:  back when the headend was still Adelphia. The XL was replaced with the IS when Time Warner acquired Adelphia in late 2005.

Before when TimeWarner Cable took over with the IntelliStar, by any chance did this XL have the version 3 graphics update? Or did they replace the XL shortly before the logo change on August 15 of that year?

I saw the XL in late August of 2005 and it did have the version 3 graphics.  :yes:
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline TWCJim

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #4906 on: September 28, 2013, 04:26:05 PM »
Sorry for double posting but I caught this rare CC report of fog and wind on my STAR 15 minutes ago:

TWCJim's STAR Database

Offline beanboy89

• Ultimate Member
  • Caulk the wagons and float!
    • View Profile
    • http://billy.mozfaq.org/
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 53
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22608
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #4907 on: October 05, 2013, 03:19:17 AM »
Looks like there is a HiRAD outage right now. Both my domestic IS and Weatherscan are reporting no CC.
My super-awesome website!
[00:45] <SpringRubberMB> I wear a condom everywhere I go!

Offline TWCJim

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #4908 on: October 12, 2013, 02:48:17 AM »
The 2:18AM ET squeezeback LF still doesn't seem to be showing CC conditions each time at the said time. Not sure if it's national or just only on my end. :unsure:

TWC Local on the 8's Squeezeback Error- Astoria, OR- Oct. 11, 2013- 11:18PM PDT
TWCJim's STAR Database

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: October 16, 2013, 07:44:30 PM »
Wow, so apparently separate flavors still do exist on the IntelliStar. :o I caught an LF this morning with CC screen narration and no marine forecast, then another without CC narration and a marine forecast :wacko:

IntelliStar Tampa, FL - October 16, 2013 - 6:58 AM ET

IntelliStar Tampa, FL - October 16, 2013 - 7:28 AM ET

Is there a reason that it's like this though? Is it just random? Because back in the day :28/:58 always had the same lineups iirc :dunno:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline mattregozo1987

• View Profile
    • www.weather.com
  • HD Channel #: 772
  • SD Channel #: 72
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24585
« Reply #4910 on: October 16, 2013, 09:49:15 PM »
Weather icons made its debut on October 8, 2013 from the official website, it looks very similar to The Weather Network in Canada. This icon will match when The Weather Channel makes big changes in November with brand-new graphics, Local on the 8s, and much more.

- Sunny
- Clear

I'm a weatherman. I love my weather. I would love to go any trips if the weather is nicer.

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #4911 on: October 17, 2013, 12:52:06 AM »
Those are pretty simple icons. Know the horse has been beaten to death relentlessly in the past, but the XL icons were the perfect blend of simplicity and attractiveness. But as long as the message gets across, that's all most viewers care about. I wonder how the music will be affected by the changes?

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
« Reply #4912 on: October 17, 2013, 01:29:44 PM »
I don't think anyone knows yet?  :dunno: However on TWC's community feedback page "Weather All the Time" the smooth Jazz post has I think 16 likes 0 dislikes, and All Instrumental's no vocals 26 likes and 5 dislikes. However the post to bring back 2 minute forecasts has about 28 likes and 1 dislike. So the requests for all instrumental music and possibly smooth jazz and 2 minute forecasts are about tied. This is as of Yesterday around 4pm. So let's see what TWC does. Maybe they ignored the request for smooth jazz because they were busy with the relaunch coming up? So I think we have a lot of a better chance of getting are music back since this is all they really are focusing on right now.

Offline WeatherSTARIII

• TWC fan 1991-2005
  • Legacy STAR fan
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #4913 on: October 17, 2013, 06:59:06 PM »
Those are pretty simple icons. Know the horse has been beaten to death relentlessly in the past, but the XL icons were the perfect blend of simplicity and attractiveness. But as long as the message gets across, that's all most viewers care about. I wonder how the music will be affected by the changes?
I agree that the old XL icons showed more detail. I don't mind the icons that the IntelliStar/IntelliStar 2 currently use; I just think the XL ones looked a lot better. I also miss those 4000-style icons that TWC had back in the '90s whenever they would show their regional forecasts on their national segments. Ironically, the new weather.com icons kind of remind me of the graphics that Microsoft uses in their commercials as well Windows 8.  :o  I did some searching on their server, and it seems like they only have 47 icons (some of them are even duplicates of the same icons).
I don't think anyone knows yet?  :dunno: However on TWC's community feedback page "Weather All the Time" the smooth Jazz post has I think 16 likes 0 dislikes, and All Instrumental's no vocals 26 likes and 5 dislikes. However the post to bring back 2 minute forecasts has about 28 likes and 1 dislike. So the requests for all instrumental music and possibly smooth jazz and 2 minute forecasts are about tied. This is as of Yesterday around 4pm. So let's see what TWC does. Maybe they ignored the request for smooth jazz because they were busy with the relaunch coming up? So I think we have a lot of a better chance of getting are music back since this is all they really are focusing on right now.
As for bringing the two minute LFs back, I too would also agree. Especially on legacy STARs, because that it would show additional features. Even the IntelliStar/IntelliStar 2 would also show more features too. I just don't like how TWC is "dumbing down" their LFs. I also think the vocal music is annoying for the most part. They should bring back the smooth jazz and most of the non-vocal instrumentals back. Playing mainstream music just doesn't fit well with TWC. It's no wonder why I have been collecting classic TWC music.
Classic TWC, Weatherscan, legacy WeatherSTARs, and classic Prevue/TV Guide fan.

R.I.P. Weatherscan: 1999-2022

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: October 17, 2013, 08:29:39 PM »
Especially on legacy STARs, because that it would show additional features.
it wouldnt matter anyways cuz legacy STARs are gonna soon be a thing of the past
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #4915 on: October 17, 2013, 08:49:25 PM »

Activism does nothing in today's society. Well, most of the time, anyways.

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
« Reply #4916 on: October 17, 2013, 09:48:16 PM »
It seems like no one listens anymore.  This is a trait that has pervaded our society.  The people who want 2-minute locals or instrumental-only playlists (myself included) unfortunately might be viewed by TWC as a fringe fanbase.  If the channel doesn't make any changes as a result of this poll, then the poll has been rendered a mere formality.  Will it be time for me to flip the channel to SonicTap once again for the umpteenth time to get my fix?

With that aside, the poll is a positive move.  If they are willing to listen to the loyal viewers, then maybe some of the issues will be sorted out.  Even with satellite LFs I would watch more if I could count on hearing some rare gems or seeing two (or even 1½) minutes worth of weather information.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:51:08 PM by Metarvo »

Offline WeatherStarXL

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: MediaCom
  • HD Channel #: 753
  • HD WxStar ID #: I2xD
  • SD Channel #: 42
  • SD WxStar ID #: I2Jr
« Reply #4917 on: October 18, 2013, 03:32:29 AM »

I agree that the old XL icons showed more detail. I don't mind the icons that the IntelliStar/IntelliStar 2 currently use; I just think the XL ones looked a lot better. I also miss those 4000-style icons that TWC had back in the '90s whenever they would show their regional forecasts on their national segments. Ironically, the new weather.com icons kind of remind me of the graphics that Microsoft uses in their commercials as well Windows 8.  :o  I did some searching on their server, and it seems like they only have 47 icons (some of them are even duplicates of the same icons).

it wouldnt matter anyways cuz legacy STARs are gonna soon be a thing of the past

I know I will certainly miss the XL after they change everything next month. TWC & my local forecast just won't be the same. I've been uploading the older XL video clips that I have to my Youtube channel. I had forgot about some of the good songs they used to play before they decided to go all mainstream on us.
Taking you back to 2010 here's 2 clips featuring songs that I'm sure we would all appreciate hearing during local forecasts..
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/mDHbnDtnKA0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/mDHbnDtnKA0</a>
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DCjY92XJpFU" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DCjY92XJpFU</a>
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 03:34:15 AM by WeatherStarXL »

Offline TWCJim

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #4918 on: October 22, 2013, 11:23:19 PM »
Looks like someone in the TWC graphics department forgot to drink their coffee this morning  :P  because as of today, a new sponsorship bug now has the blue box that is normally shown behind the Dish/DirecTV IntelliSTAR sponsorship bugs.

TWCJim's STAR Database

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: October 22, 2013, 11:32:07 PM »
Looks like someone in the TWC graphics department forgot to drink their coffee this morning  :P  because as of today, a new sponsorship bug now has the blue box that is normally shown behind the Dish/DirecTV IntelliSTAR sponsorship bugs.

I saw that happen when I was on vacation in Virginia 2 years ago.. and there have also been times where the blue box doesn't show up for ads on the DirecTV STAR too

WTF is this...