April 27, 2024, 11:22:00 AM

Author Topic: General LF Discussion  (Read 1128061 times)

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
Re: General LF Discussion
« Reply #4515 on: November 01, 2012, 08:14:10 PM »
Hi Alex,

The instrumental playlist is for severe weather, and it will end after Sandy coverage dies down.

I appreciate it,
Melissa

I can't handle the vocal music, it turns my stomach upside down every time I hear it

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #4516 on: November 01, 2012, 09:17:23 PM »

I can't handle the vocal music, it turns my stomach upside down every time I hear it

Same here.

Don't ya just miss all of the good times when the LF music was all instrumentals? Even though I've grown to accept the vocal music on TWC, I'm still a little disappointed that they are now using vocal music in their playlists  :(  The only thing I can do now is just listen to Weatherscan music on my computer or watch my DVD recordings of classic TWC.
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #4517 on: November 02, 2012, 07:33:23 PM »
Hi Alex,

The instrumental playlist is for severe weather, and it will end after Sandy coverage dies down.

I appreciate it,
Melissa

Amen to that.

Offline Patricius Maximus

• View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: November 02, 2012, 09:18:26 PM »

:rolleyes:

Same here.

Don't ya just miss all of the good times when the LF music was all instrumentals? Even though I've grown to accept the vocal music on TWC, I'm still a little disappointed that they are now using vocal music in their playlists  :( 

Me too. Instrumentals alone won't cut it for me - I need good instrumentals. Preferably from a variety of genres, including smooth jazz (City Streets in March 2010 was great). The better playlists from 2009 to 2011 conform to my standard. When there's a good playlist on, listening to local forecasts is actually a pleasure, but now actually deriving pleasure from seeing a LF is a foreign experience, with the exception of a few songs from the Sandy coverage. I only record LF's now if I have a particular desire to document the weather forecast, and even then I have an extreme aversion to recording any of the vocal songs - I always keep the LF with the least vocals.

Of course, any instrumental playlist is better than what they have now, but what sort of standard is that? That's like using toxic waste dumps as the baseline to measure the quality of all landfills (I know, horrible metaphor, but it gets the point across).

To give an idea of how we're in a severe depression when it comes to playlist quality, for the entirety of this year to date there have only been two new songs that I've loved - Matthew Shuman's Running out of Time, and Jeff Pearce's deluge. That's it. The previous norm was at least 10 per year (including songs that were reused but not recently (<1 year)).

The only thing I can do now is just listen to Weatherscan music on my computer or watch my DVD recordings of classic TWC.

There's another option. Sometimes I like to look at TWC locals on mute with some better (perhaps jazzy) music playing on my computer, and I imagine what it would be like if TWC used my playlists.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 09:58:27 PM by Patricius Maximus »

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #4519 on: November 02, 2012, 09:25:54 PM »

:rolleyes:

She doesn't realize saying that is just going to run LFs into the ground.

Offline TWCJim

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #4520 on: November 04, 2012, 11:05:44 AM »
Quick question for everybody here: Was anyone's IntelliSTAR and/or Weatherscan affected by this morning's DST switch?  :unsure:  Usually these units glitch during each DST switch but earlier this morning it didn't seem to affect the STAR units at all   :huh:
TWCJim's STAR Database

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: November 04, 2012, 11:15:50 AM »
Quick question for everybody here: Was anyone's IntelliSTAR and/or Weatherscan affected by this morning's DST switch?  :unsure:  Usually these units glitch during each DST switch but earlier this morning it didn't seem to affect the STAR units at all   :huh:
If TWC was live at both 1 AM EDT and 1 AM EST, then there was probably no effect. Two years ago, they were live at 1 AM EDT but had longform at 1 AM EST and at 1 AM EST, IntelliStars nationwide were cuing on the '8s as if it was live programming.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline TWCJim

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #4522 on: November 04, 2012, 11:21:32 AM »
If TWC was live at both 1 AM EDT and 1 AM EST, then there was probably no effect. Two years ago, they were live at 1 AM EDT but had longform at 1 AM EST and at 1 AM EST, IntelliStars nationwide were cuing on the '8s as if it was live programming.

Ah, I get it now  :yes:

I remember last year the IntelliSTAR didn't cue at all during the 1AM EDT hour, then the programming LDL cued and remained stuck throughout the 1AM EST hour, with the IS itself cuing either late or early.
TWCJim's STAR Database

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #4523 on: November 04, 2012, 03:14:49 PM »
Gosh, I am loving this music TWC is playing right now, especially that song by Day Behavior (that's what SoundHound told me it was, anyway). I actually think this music sounds cooler than jazz--or is at least as good. I think TWC would be very sound with LF music if they kept the taste they showcase in times of inclement weather. Heck, it seems easier to keep it one way all the time, anyway. It's too bad TWC doesn't feel the same way about the matter.

Offline mattregozo1987

• View Profile
    • www.weather.com
  • HD Channel #: 772
  • SD Channel #: 72
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24585
« Reply #4524 on: November 07, 2012, 06:37:52 PM »
The word phrase "Snowfall around one inch" is narrated as "About one inch of snow expected", like the word phrase shown on the IntelliStar.
I'm a weatherman. I love my weather. I would love to go any trips if the weather is nicer.

Offline Nathan - a.k.a. NWRGeek

• also elevatorsonly
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • HD WxStar ID #: 24131
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24131
« Reply #4525 on: November 10, 2012, 10:58:50 AM »
My Weatherscan did. I got lucky - I actually DVR'd mine for the DST switch and it COMPLETELY rebooted. I feel lucky to have gotten it, we had DirecTV installed the next day! This post will be edited soon to include said video, once YouTube's glitches are done with.

Two years ago, they were live at 1 AM EDT but had longform at 1 AM EST and at 1 AM EST, IntelliStars nationwide were cuing on the '8s as if it was live programming.
LOL!
Thanks NBC Comcast for driving me away from TWC. You've officially made TWC junk, NBC Comcast.

Offline TWCJim

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #4526 on: November 10, 2012, 09:19:49 PM »
High Wind Watch in effect "near beaches and headlands"

Anyone here seen the phrase "near beaches and headlands" on the weather bulletin product before?
TWCJim's STAR Database

Offline mattregozo1987

• View Profile
    • www.weather.com
  • HD Channel #: 772
  • SD Channel #: 72
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24585
« Reply #4527 on: November 12, 2012, 07:05:00 AM »
Notice, no 90-second forecast or 2-minute Local Forecast due to program changes by The Weather Channel today. After the live segment, 1-minute local forecast is played just before the commercial breaks. Normally the local on the 8s shown at 8s of every hour after commercials.
I'm a weatherman. I love my weather. I would love to go any trips if the weather is nicer.

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #4528 on: November 12, 2012, 07:57:41 AM »
Notice, no 90-second forecast or 2-minute Local Forecast due to program changes by The Weather Channel today. After the live segment, 1-minute local forecast is played just before the commercial breaks. Normally the local on the 8s shown at 8s of every hour after commercials.

Gross. Another stupid idea, hate to say. Wrong direction again.

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
« Reply #4529 on: November 12, 2012, 08:41:32 AM »
I saw/heard a very interesting phrase on the text based forecast this morning..."Any remaining showers and thunderstorms will diminish as the day progresses".