April 27, 2024, 02:48:31 PM

Author Topic: General LF Discussion  (Read 1128304 times)

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: General LF Discussion
« Reply #3870 on: January 27, 2012, 12:17:55 AM »
I'm guessing it's only for Day Planner, just like the case with the one minute LFs in 2009.

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #3871 on: January 27, 2012, 07:32:06 AM »
If they are going to do a squeezeback, DirecTV could, at the least, develop a squeezeback app.

Paul @ 6:46am: "We always will guarantee you a local on the 8's on The Weather Channel!"
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 07:49:58 AM by Austin M. »

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #3872 on: January 27, 2012, 09:41:38 AM »
Looks like they don't cue it during YWT either.
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #3873 on: January 27, 2012, 10:58:40 AM »
I won't be surprised if the L-Bar is gone in march with a new playlist starting.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #3874 on: January 27, 2012, 12:57:19 PM »
Remember, the last time the L Bar came into effect they weren't implemented during the late overnight hours or morning hours. They only implemented them from 11:08am to 1:48am in the overnight hours.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3875 on: January 27, 2012, 02:01:31 PM »
I won't be surprised if the L-Bar is gone in march with a new playlist starting.

Not to try to bash you here, but honestly, what does a playlist have to do with anything? :dunno:  I wouldn't think that TWC would develop a squeezeback and air it for two months just because the playlist was getting stale.  Could be wrong, though.  I'm not the mind of TWC.

Offline spinnerwv

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • SD Channel #: 28
  • SD WxStar ID #: 03028
« Reply #3876 on: January 27, 2012, 06:13:08 PM »
I got this email from my cable provider this past September when I inquired about the squeezeback.

Thanks for writing to Shentel. I did not have immediate answers to your questions, so I had to go investigate. Here is what I have found out.

You are correct. About three weeks ago, the Weather Channel changed the Star Platform to only show local on the 8s at :28 and :58 past the hour. We will not be upgrading to Intellistar because TWC has announced an entirely new platform that is supposed to be even better and they have run out of Intellistars. So we have to make do until the new option is ready which our engineering guy said it would be mid-1012.

I'm guessing all intellistars will be upgraded to the new platform and all remaining headends will upgrade to the intellistar.  I hope they retire the legacy stars.  I just can't see TWC using 5 different Star platforms out in the field.    I just remembered about the email or i would have posted it back in Sept.  :)

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333
« Reply #3877 on: January 27, 2012, 06:28:45 PM »
I got this email from my cable provider this past September when I inquired about the squeezeback.

Thanks for writing to Shentel. I did not have immediate answers to your questions, so I had to go investigate. Here is what I have found out.

You are correct. About three weeks ago, the Weather Channel changed the Star Platform to only show local on the 8s at :28 and :58 past the hour. We will not be upgrading to Intellistar because TWC has announced an entirely new platform that is supposed to be even better and they have run out of Intellistars. So we have to make do until the new option is ready which our engineering guy said it would be mid-1012.

I'm guessing all intellistars will be upgraded to the new platform and all remaining headends will upgrade to the intellistar.  I hope they retire the legacy stars.  I just can't see TWC using 5 different Star platforms out in the field.    I just remembered about the email or i would have posted it back in Sept.  :)

Finally! The Intellistar's graphics are outdated and I am glad that they will upgrade there Stars to look modernized and not outdated.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3878 on: January 27, 2012, 06:37:07 PM »

Wonder why your headend refuses to upgrade.. if there's enough hype from viewers, they should. The IntelliStar actually costs less than the XL from what I hear, which is quite ironic if your headend refuses to upgrade.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline spinnerwv

• View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 28
  • SD WxStar ID #: 03028
« Reply #3879 on: January 27, 2012, 06:59:14 PM »
Wonder why your headend refuses to upgrade.. if there's enough hype from viewers, they should. The IntelliStar actually costs less than the XL from what I hear, which is quite ironic if your headend refuses to upgrade.

I've wondered that myself.   They actually bought our cable system about 2 years ago.  Upgrading to an Intellistar  was prob on the bottom of their to-do list.  They will most likely upgrade to the new platform when it becomes available and skip the Intellistar.  I remember when it was Time Warner they went from a 3000 to the XL.

What will the new STAR be called?  Any ideas?   If it looks like the HD Star.  I think Intellistar XL would be cool.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 07:00:54 PM by spinnerwv »

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #3880 on: January 27, 2012, 07:25:21 PM »
I hope they'll at least be keeping the Intellistar 2. They only worked on it for 2 years now.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3881 on: January 27, 2012, 09:14:56 PM »
Alright, I've got a couple questions to ask about this e-mail:

What do they mean by TWC has "run out of IntelliSTARs?" :blink:  I didn't think something like this could "run out."

Also, to respond to some of you, I can't imagine that TWC will be developing a new STAR, considering they just released the IS2 a couple of years ago.  This "new platform" almost sounds like the squeezeback will be the new "LOT8s."  This does not explain what the fate will be of the IS2; can't believe they would ditch something like that so quickly, unless it's got to do with money.

And, unless TWC gains great profits from it, I don't think the playlist disappearing would matter to the company or the average viewer.  I know some might miss it, but I don't think that's their primary concern. ;)

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333
« Reply #3882 on: January 27, 2012, 09:32:39 PM »
Also, to respond to some of you, I can't imagine that TWC will be developing a new STAR, considering they just released the IS2 a couple of years ago.  This "new platform" almost sounds like the squeezeback will be the new "LOT8s."  This does not explain what the fate will be of the IS2; can't believe they would ditch something like that so quickly, unless it's got to do with money.

And, unless TWC gains great profits from it, I don't think the playlist disappearing would matter to the company or the average viewer.  I know some might miss it, but I don't think that's their primary concern. ;)

I believe that the new STAR there developing would probably be used only on the SD channel to replace the aging Inteillistar. I don't think the squeezeback will replace the LOT8s and will probably be used in Long-form programs.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #3883 on: January 27, 2012, 09:35:13 PM »
it's nice to know a new platform is coming out, now there is something to look forward to in 2012  :P

Offline yourweathertoday

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: -
  • SD Channel #: N/A
  • SD WxStar ID #: -
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #3884 on: January 28, 2012, 05:27:44 PM »
it's nice to know a new platform is coming out, now there is something to look forward to in 2012  :P

Wouldn't hold my breath on that. If they are developing a new platform-and it's not the squeezeback, big if-it probably won't come out this year. Look how much time was spent developing the IS 2.