April 27, 2024, 04:14:17 PM

Author Topic: General LF Discussion  (Read 1128394 times)

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: General LF Discussion
« Reply #3750 on: November 15, 2011, 06:01:54 PM »
That into is pretty silly

Offline KevOwensby

• View Profile
    • YouTube
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 2002
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31755
  • SD Channel #: 2
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22909
  • WxScan Ch. #: 270
  • WxScan ID #: 31067
« Reply #3751 on: November 15, 2011, 06:06:32 PM »
Don't lie, you love to like it.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #3752 on: November 16, 2011, 11:43:48 AM »
Maybe this is just me, but doesn't it seem like the radars they use on the IntelliStar are in "low resolution"? What I mean by that is it seems like it underestimates the intensity of storms. The ones they use on-air look much better.

EDIT: Heck, even the XL looks a little better.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #3753 on: November 16, 2011, 03:59:49 PM »
I actually disagree about your statement with the XL's radar for two reasons: it gets the same data from where the IS does, but processes it differently and the IS's radar is more higher-resolution (the XL's is pixellated) and the IS's radar maps easily can be easily customized for a headend's service area by having the map zoomed in/out, and more local if needbe. The XL only has one radar map and the only thing that could be customized were its plotted cities and geographical positioning of the map (no zooming, no hi-res data, etc).
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3754 on: November 16, 2011, 04:21:39 PM »
I actually disagree about your statement with the XL's radar for two reasons: it gets the same data from where the IS does, but processes it differently and the IS's radar is more higher-resolution (the XL's is pixellated) and the IS's radar maps easily can be easily customized for a headend's service area by having the map zoomed in/out, and more local if needbe. The XL only has one radar map and the only thing that could be customized were its plotted cities and geographical positioning of the map (no zooming, no hi-res data, etc).

I already knew that, what I mean is even with the XL's radar being pixellated, it still looks better to me as far as showing intensity of storms. For example, this picture is from a couple of hours ago. Would you really believe the storm circled in red is tornadic? It just looks like a heavy rain shower to me.

NintenGamers Nation

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #3755 on: November 16, 2011, 04:31:32 PM »
It would be nice if the IS Radar was updated to Tru-Vu Max

phw115wvwx

« Reply #3756 on: November 16, 2011, 04:38:14 PM »
I already knew that, what I mean is even with the XL's radar being pixellated, it still looks better to me as far as showing intensity of storms. For example, this picture is from a couple of hours ago. Would you really believe the storm circled in red is tornadic? It just looks like a heavy rain shower to me.
Be careful with that last statement as some tornadic storms don't always show a reflectivity hook.  You would need velocity data for true confirmation.  I would hope that the IS2 does an even better job with radar pixelation than the XL and the IS.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3757 on: November 16, 2011, 04:55:34 PM »
Be careful with that last statement as some tornadic storms don't always show a reflectivity hook.  You would need velocity data for true confirmation.  I would hope that the IS2 does an even better job with radar pixelation than the XL and the IS.

That's precisely my problem with the IS's radar. There's really no hint that any of the storms on that radar picture could be tornadic unless I checked the velocity. If it wasn't for the crawl indicating to me what storm was tornadic and where it's going, I wouldn't think anything else of what I was seeing on the radar other than "oh, it's nothing but some heavy rain". I know the colors only are meant to indicate how intense the rain and hail is, but if I'm looking at other sources such as NWS, interactive radars, local news affiliates and they showing dark reds and purples from the same exact storm the IS is only showing yellows and oranges something is seriously wrong. It may be "high resolution" compared to the XL and 4000, but it's still not of high enough resolution as it should be. I can't fairly judge the IS2 until I can see it first hand during severe weather, but I hope it's better than the IS in resolution.

NintenGamers Nation

phw115wvwx

« Reply #3758 on: November 16, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »
That's precisely my problem with the IS's radar. There's really no hint that any of the storms on that radar picture could be tornadic unless I checked the velocity. If it wasn't for the crawl indicating to me what storm was tornadic and where it's going, I wouldn't think anything else of what I was seeing on the radar other than "oh, it's nothing but some heavy rain". I know the colors only are meant to indicate how intense the rain and hail is, but if I'm looking at other sources such as NWS, interactive radars, local news affiliates and they showing dark reds and purples from the same exact storm the IS is only showing yellows and oranges something is seriously wrong. It may be "high resolution" compared to the XL and 4000, but it's still not of high enough resolution as it should be. I can't fairly judge the IS2 until I can see it first hand during severe weather, but I hope it's better than the IS in resolution.
The color scale is likely different between what you see on the IS, the XL, and other sources that you mentioned.  Unfortunately, the real solution to this problem is to show the dBZ values on the color scale that is given on the LF.  However, nobody in the general public would have a clue what that means or even what dBZ is. :P

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3759 on: November 16, 2011, 05:05:03 PM »
True, but people would probably easily understand the fact that dark colors are bad. Such a simple statement, but so true. :P
Tiddlywinks.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #3760 on: November 16, 2011, 09:12:53 PM »
It would be nice if the IS Radar was updated to Tru-Vu Max
Such an upgrade is likely not feasible on a system that's eight years old and doesn't have HD capabilities.

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #3761 on: November 18, 2011, 10:51:31 AM »
Monoliths at :48? :blink: The WUWA playlist is still mixing dahparts up.
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3762 on: November 18, 2011, 04:32:19 PM »
Yeah, WUWA has its own playlist profile, so we are aware. :thumbsup:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #3763 on: November 18, 2011, 04:40:27 PM »
Yeah, WUWA has its own playlist profile, so we are aware. :thumbsup:
Oh, thanks. I was thinking it was an error. And oops, I meant dayparts. :P
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3764 on: November 25, 2011, 06:42:19 PM »
I saw the Ocala, FL IntelliStar (ID #22417) again today and its LDL cities were different than they were back in April.. they are now Ocala, Silver Springs and Gainesville. They previously were Ocala, Orlando D'town and Downtown Tampa. However, when I saw its almanac, the city on it was Leesburg.. doesn't Ocala have an airport of their own? :unsure: