April 27, 2024, 12:17:57 PM

Author Topic: General LF Discussion  (Read 1128117 times)

Offline ap215

• View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: General LF Discussion
« Reply #3525 on: September 12, 2011, 11:20:06 PM »
I also hope this won't be a permanent thing this was the one thing since the 80's i became a fan of the TWC the musicals.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #3526 on: September 12, 2011, 11:58:47 PM »
I don't see the point of the L-Bar. Just to get a minute and a half of more coverage? Really??? TWC must be really desperate. It seems that this would be a permanent thing. Looks like we may need to take some action  :club:

Taking action is not going to help. ;) Most likely the use of the L-Bar is due to flooding coverage that will, obviously once again, boost their ratings. However, is there also a possibility that TWC thinks (or knows) viewers will tune-in if they extend their live coverage by scaling down on the LOT8s? I know to us its horrific, but we did say we would prefer more weather coverage, especially if it ads up over the hour. :thinking:

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #3527 on: September 13, 2011, 01:25:42 AM »
The L-bar trend is continuing on the 1 am edition of WCL. I sure hope this is just a test, because it would be utterly ridiculous to only have two LFs per hour, and a waste of a good playlist.
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #3528 on: September 13, 2011, 01:49:56 AM »
The L-Bar during Irene actually made sense. Someone at TWC mentioned to me that with the feed being broadcast over Sirus/XM, the L-Bar allowed them to better serve that audience. With the L-Bar people only listening by audio were not interrupted by three minutes of smooth jazz. Not sure what the incentive is now though

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #3529 on: September 13, 2011, 08:11:58 AM »
If one of the two actually happened (1: XL's, 4000's, Jr's are all replaced by IStar) or (2: Support for L-Bar would be added for XL), I wouldn't mind the L-Bar every now and then. I would definitely miss the music, but I'd at least get a LOCAL forecast.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #3530 on: September 13, 2011, 08:13:46 AM »
I really don't mind if the lbar is on daily, it makes playlist uploading harder but that's why I got them all up the 1st 2 days before this occurred

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #3531 on: September 13, 2011, 09:10:12 AM »
I don't think the playlist are going away. At least we have the 2 min lfs..the :08s and :18 locals are already shortened, so recording them would make no sense anyways

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: September 13, 2011, 10:56:53 AM »
Guys, I know a lot of you absolutely love to follow the playlist, but I really don't think that's something most viewers care about. So I don't think TWC is thinking twice about removing normally scheduled LOT8s just because they would reduce the playlist to twice an hour.

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #3533 on: September 13, 2011, 11:09:21 AM »
Well, obviously, I don't think the playlists would be discontinued because they just released a new one. I must say that I'd be pretty bummed if I didn't see a full screen local forecast at every :8's, but I'll manage. They're doing what they think is best. It might not even be permanent, for all I know.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #3534 on: September 13, 2011, 11:21:15 AM »
Now I know why I was told the playlist would start earlier in the month for content and programming purpouses (Squeezeback)  I won't be surprised if more things will be added during programming.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #3535 on: September 13, 2011, 11:25:15 AM »
If they seriously even remotely considered getting rid of the LOT8s format, they just wasted a VERY considerable amount of time and money working on a new HD STAR that is not only been around for a little over a year, but is still not widely available to everyone.

If that truly became the case, that time, money and resources could have been spent working on a flashy and stylish local forecast squeezeback, oh wait.... :unsure: :P

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #3536 on: September 13, 2011, 11:36:10 AM »
When I turned on to TWC during WUWA, I didn't see the L-bar. I saw a LF, oddly used at :39, but I would assume that there were five other LFs used during that hour. Now during Day Planner, it's back! I really don't care for the two LFs per hour, but as WeatherWitness said, TWC is obviously not worried about reducing their music LFs, and perhaps these new viewers don't care either. But I know that the music is partly what attracted me and many others to TWC. For TWC to reduce their LFs to twice an hour, if it is permanent, IMO, is the cherry on the sundae in terms of the deterioration of TWC over the last few years.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 11:41:54 AM by TampaMillTWC88 »
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #3537 on: September 13, 2011, 11:45:52 AM »
If they seriously even remotely considered getting rid of the LOT8s format, they just wasted a VERY considerable amount of time and money working on a new HD STAR that is not only been around for a little over a year, but is still not widely available to everyone.

Welcome to the corporate world!  I can't tell you how many ghastly money-wasting ideas have been implemented, only to be changed or outright cancelled almost immediately where I work.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #3538 on: September 13, 2011, 11:48:00 AM »
But I know that the music is partly what attracted me and many others to TWC. For TWC to reduce their LFs to twice an hour, if it is permanent, IMO, is the cherry on the sundae in terms of the deterioration of TWC over the last few years.

I haven't been a fan of the music on TWC for about 20 years.  It's the information in the local forecast that I'm after.  A squeezeback is good in case of an emergency so that more live coverage can be broadcast, but, otherwise, I can't think of any good reason to reduce the number of actual local forecasts... unless TWC is trying to even further deemphasize its original mission.

Offline TWCC_VernonMetcalf

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • SD Channel #: 56
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24788
« Reply #3539 on: September 13, 2011, 02:00:44 PM »
When I turned on to TWC during WUWA, I didn't see the L-bar. I saw a LF, oddly used at :39, but I would assume that there were five other LFs used during that hour. Now during Day Planner, it's back! I really don't care for the two LFs per hour, but as WeatherWitness said, TWC is obviously not worried about reducing their music LFs, and perhaps these new viewers don't care either. But I know that the music is partly what attracted me and many others to TWC. For TWC to reduce their LFs to twice an hour, if it is permanent, IMO, is the cherry on the sundae in terms of the deterioration of TWC over the last few years.
Regular LFs were shown during Your Weather Today, as well.

With some headends using the legacy STARs; ironically, the lack of LFs should have been a violation against FCC standards.