April 27, 2024, 03:44:44 PM

Author Topic: General LF Discussion  (Read 1128364 times)

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: General LF Discussion
« Reply #3075 on: January 07, 2011, 10:24:32 PM »
Question: That phrase "The National Weather Service Has Issued a Weather Bulletin For Our Area" anyone know if it's supposed to say that on certain local forecasts? I've been hearing off and on since they issued the Winter Storm Watch here along with the Wind Advisory.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #3076 on: January 07, 2011, 10:44:12 PM »
Sometimes if there's more than one advisory, the Istar will cue that narration to save time.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #3077 on: January 18, 2011, 10:40:17 AM »
Ever since i got my HD pvr ive noticed this but for anyone with TWC HD, have you ever noticed how the thunderstorm forecast/precip forecast banners looked aliased or roughened? I thought it was my tuner at first until i moved my LCD TV to my living room with an HDMI signal going to it (the HD PVR uses component video or for you "techies", YCbCr) and noticed it there :unsure: however the severe weather warnings banner looks fine
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline tuez13

• Radio DJ, Graphic Designer & NWS Certified Storm Spotter & Tracker
  • 2 fried chickens & a Coke...
    • View Profile
    • South Meadows PWS
  • Cable Provider: Midcontinent Comm.
  • HD WxStar ID #: 028785
  • SD Channel #: 3
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22928
« Reply #3078 on: January 18, 2011, 03:02:51 PM »
I think they produce the original image larger than what is used and the proportions are changed in the process giving it the pixelated look.  I noticed that back in the day, too.  That would be my guess. 

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #3079 on: January 21, 2011, 10:58:31 PM »
Should TWC bring back the 3 Day Outlook? (like the XL uses)

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #3080 on: January 22, 2011, 01:53:13 AM »
Ever since i got my HD pvr ive noticed this but for anyone with TWC HD, have you ever noticed how the thunderstorm forecast/precip forecast banners looked aliased or roughened? I thought it was my tuner at first until i moved my LCD TV to my living room with an HDMI signal going to it (the HD PVR uses component video or for you "techies", YCbCr) and noticed it there :unsure: however the severe weather warnings banner looks fine
I think VIZ does that to the images so they don't slow the system down to much. I've seen other examples of viz and it does something similar.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #3081 on: January 22, 2011, 12:47:15 PM »
Should TWC bring back the 3 Day Outlook? (like the XL uses)

No.  It's simply a relic from the distant past.

The WeatherStar III and before only displayed text.  At first, the extended forecast was written out like the local forecast, but in the 1990s it changed to a 3-day tabular format similar to the WeatherStar 4000.  The WeatherStar 4000 didn't have the resolution necessary to display anything more than a 3-day forecast.  (Like the III, the 4000 also displayed a prose-style extended forecast at the very beginning.)

When the XL came out, it simply carried over many of the details from the 4000, and this included the 3-day extended forecast.  There's really no reason to keep it now.  A 7-day forecast gives you a lot more information (though forecasts aren't perfectly accurate that far out, they at least can give you a general idea of what to expect.)  Showing a 3-day forecast now would not only give you less information, but the only benefit I can see would be to see really large weather icons, if someone's interested in that.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: January 22, 2011, 02:03:14 PM »
Even though the 3-day had less info, it read it to you, meaning you would hear more information... but I can understand why TWC removed it anyway.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #3083 on: January 22, 2011, 02:19:54 PM »
These days, a 3-day forecast isn't enough for most of the public.  With so many 7-day to even 15-day forecasts out there, the public wants to see out into the future as far as possible.  So, TWC almost had no choice but to abandon the 3-day forecast to be competitive with everyone else.  I think 7 days is just right for now as forecasts beyond that mark would become as good as throwing darts. :P

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: January 22, 2011, 02:22:53 PM »
I think 7 days is just right for now as forecasts beyond that mark would become as good as throwing darts. :P
I think even beyond 2 days is pushing it :P

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
« Reply #3085 on: January 22, 2011, 02:53:11 PM »
I think 7 days is just right for now as forecasts beyond that mark would become as good as throwing darts. :P
I think even beyond 2 days is pushing it :P

Yeah, I find forecasts even overnight can change rapidly. I agree, I think the 7 day should be the only extended forecast product, and that is just right when it comes to accuracy.  Anything beyond that I really don't bother to trust.

So here's the question of the day... I haven't heard the narration phrase "Snowfall rates around one inch" for the wording phrase "Snowfall around one inch" on any Intellistar in years. The exception would be a video that user ajatwister recently uploaded.
Middle Tennessee Snowstorm (2)- Local on the 8s

So why is it that some Intellistars seem to have the phrase, but most don't?

And then I got to thinking about another phrase. My aunt and uncle live in San Clemente, CA (my mom just went to visit them two weeks ago)... and the phrase "Stronger winds in and below canyons and passes" appears on their text forecast a lot.
I recorded an LF with a camera I had when I went there in November 2007... but I lost it when my desktop was reformatted in February 2008. So does anyone know if the Intellistar has that phrase?
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #3086 on: January 22, 2011, 03:19:41 PM »
So here's the question of the day... I haven't heard the narration phrase "Snowfall rates around one inch" for the wording phrase "Snowfall around one inch" on any Intellistar in years. The exception would be a video that user ajatwister recently uploaded.
So why is it that some Intellistars seem to have the phrase, but most don't?
We get the phrase "Snowfall rates around one inch" all the time. All Intellistars have the same phrases, it's just how the forecast is written by TWC.

And then I got to thinking about another phrase. My aunt and uncle live in San Clemente, CA (my mom just went to visit them two weeks ago)... and the phrase "Stronger winds in and below canyons and passes" appears on their text forecast a lot.
I recorded an LF with a camera I had when I went there in November 2007... but I lost it when my desktop was reformatted in February 2008. So does anyone know if the Intellistar has that phrase?
Yes.

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: January 22, 2011, 03:28:42 PM »
I've also heard "stronger winds near the lake shore" (or somewhere to that extent) before.

Offline mattregozo1987

• View Profile
    • www.weather.com
  • HD Channel #: 772
  • SD Channel #: 72
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24585
« Reply #3088 on: January 22, 2011, 08:30:33 PM »
I've heard "Cooler near the lakeshore" narration when reading, right between the High/Low temperature, and the wind information.
I'm a weatherman. I love my weather. I would love to go any trips if the weather is nicer.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: January 22, 2011, 11:03:17 PM »
And to think Allen Jackson/Jim Cantore had to record all these. :wacko: (unless these phrases are not narrated...)