April 27, 2024, 07:11:12 PM

Author Topic: General LF Discussion  (Read 1128596 times)

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: General LF Discussion
« Reply #1695 on: July 13, 2009, 08:07:14 PM »
I'm just agreeing with him because all you guys are doing is arguing over how much you hate HiRAD. What's wrong with HiRAD? I don't see what there is to hate about it. I mean, I'd rather get Current Conditions from Thonotosassa rather than Tampa International Airport for Pete's sake.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #1696 on: July 13, 2009, 08:09:27 PM »
I'm just agreeing with him because all you guys are doing is arguing over how much you hate HiRAD. What's wrong with HiRAD? I don't see what there is to hate about it. I mean, I'd rather get Current Conditions from Thonotosassa rather than Tampa International Airport for Pete's sake.
No, the best idea would have been to stay out of it, and you know that. HiRAD is shit, and computer software will NEVER beat the real observations.
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #1697 on: July 13, 2009, 08:14:17 PM »
HiRAD is not one of my favorite things, i wish they would revert back to the Pre HiRAD Days.

Offline Lightning86

• Extreme Weather & LF Graphic Design Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • youtube.com/LightningFever86
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • HD Channel #: 762
  • SD Channel #: 62
« Reply #1698 on: July 13, 2009, 08:23:24 PM »
HiRAD is okay for me. If it's wrong, I just look outside the window to make sure. But I agree with you guys, though.
TWC fan 12/5/03-4/1/12

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #1699 on: July 13, 2009, 08:31:32 PM »
HiRAD is okay for me. If it's wrong, I just look outside the window to make sure. But I agree with you guys, though.

I do that all the time, there was only one time where the HiRAD CC on my IntelliStar was completely wrong and that was during the March 1st Snowstorm, it said 37° and light rain, but I looked outside and it was moderate snow falling and sticking to the ground, it took about 20 mins. for that to update to snow. The NWS was right though, they said it was 34° and snow.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #1700 on: July 13, 2009, 10:53:24 PM »
All you people do is bitch complain. :rolleyes:

HiRAD, while not perfect, is a VERY neat technology. If you think you can do better, go to college, develop something better, and then get back to me and we'll talk.
Tyler, I hate to break it to you, but you don't know everything. You have terrible temperment, and you are much too cocky. If my "bitching" really bothers you that much, ignore it and either change the topic of discussion or stay out of here until someone else does. Your opinion of HiRAD is fine, but I think it is crap, and I know it always will be. Any reason TWC has to cut itself off from the NWS? Try acting more mature than you think I am for once. I may not be helping my case, but you are not the administrator here.

You're entitled to you're opinion, but all you do is complain about it. Obviously, it's not perfect, nothing is. I mean, NWS obs aren't always up-to-the minute, are they? No. Some NWS sites don't report 24 hours, do they? No. HiRAD was invented to help areas where NWS sites like this exist, or they are too-far in between, and above all, to be MORE LOCAL. Like I said, it's not perfect, but nothing is. It continually undergoes changes and routine maintenance to make it better. But, complaining about it all the time isn't going to do anything about it.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: July 13, 2009, 11:07:54 PM »
Hmm... my headend seems to once again be pulling Burlington's TWC feed like what happened back in January. Time for more headaching chatting with Comcast. <_<
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:14:51 PM by Mike M »

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1702 on: July 13, 2009, 11:58:48 PM »
All you people do is bitch complain. :rolleyes:

HiRAD, while not perfect, is a VERY neat technology. If you think you can do better, go to college, develop something better, and then get back to me and we'll talk.
Tyler, I hate to break it to you, but you don't know everything. You have terrible temperment, and you are much too cocky. If my "bitching" really bothers you that much, ignore it and either change the topic of discussion or stay out of here until someone else does. Your opinion of HiRAD is fine, but I think it is crap, and I know it always will be. Any reason TWC has to cut itself off from the NWS? Try acting more mature than you think I am for once. I may not be helping my case, but you are not the administrator here.

You're entitled to you're opinion, but all you do is complain about it. Obviously, it's not perfect, nothing is. I mean, NWS obs aren't always up-to-the minute, are they? No. Some NWS sites don't report 24 hours, do they? No. HiRAD was invented to help areas where NWS sites like this exist, or they are too-far in between, and above all, to be MORE LOCAL. Like I said, it's not perfect, but nothing is. It continually undergoes changes and routine maintenance to make it better. But, complaining about it all the time isn't going to do anything about it.
Tyler, I am not complaining about it. I have made my opinions on it clear, but I am not complaining about it. You are clearly interpreting it the wrong way. Believe it or not, there is such a thing as TOO LOCAL. Here's something you may not be realizing:
Many headends serve massive areas. I know mine does. To my knowledge, my headend serves Grand Ledge, Eaton Rapids, and Ionia, all at least 10 miles away from the location of the STAR itself (where the HiRAD and Falsepoint sites are set to), and Ionia is indeed 30 miles away. The next headend to the west is over there in Grand Rapids. When headends are this large, there is no point for HiRAD. The "local" feel goes away. Precipitation amounts (especially with thunderstorms) vary greatly over the areas served by these headends. Does it do any good for the people north of Lansing to see a report of a thunderstorm that is over the headend south of Lansing? Do the people of Ionia 30 miles away care if south Lansing is getting heavy snow from a lake effect band when it is just cloudy for them? Sure, NWS sites can be spread out, but HiRAD does not do any better to solve this problem. In most cases, it is just changing the central location from the NWS site to the HiRAD site.

When you get into even bigger cities like Detroit or, Pittsburgh for example, there are more airports that are closer together and are more likely to produce legit and accurate results that are plenty close enough to the headends themselves. The NWS sites in cities/central locations DO produce 24 hour observations. The sites that may not do so are way out in sparsely populated areas where cable is most likely not available anyway. Also, HiRAD updates 3 times an hour. Is this better than the legit NWS sites that produce hourly observations? Sure. But is it better than the sites that update twice an hour? Not really, or at least the difference is neglegable.
TWC in...

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1703 on: July 14, 2009, 05:06:31 AM »
Hmm... my headend seems to once again be pulling Burlington's TWC feed like what happened back in January. Time for more headaching chatting with Comcast. <_<
Hopefully it goes well. In the mean time, try to get some video. I am curious to see what this feed looks like.
TWC in...

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: July 14, 2009, 07:52:38 AM »
Still getting it this morning. I got a reply from Comcast and all those b****'s asked for is my service address, like my ZIP code isn't enough for them.  :rolleyes: I don't think Marlton is served by multiple IntelliStars. I'd ask the Star Team but I don't want them making other changes to my STAR like what happened to yours last month, and you weren't satisfied with those changes. If Comcast doesn't want to cooperate with me that might be my only option, though.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1705 on: July 14, 2009, 10:21:55 AM »
Still getting it this morning. I got a reply from Comcast and all those b****'s asked for is my service address, like my ZIP code isn't enough for them.  :rolleyes: I don't think Marlton is served by multiple IntelliStars. I'd ask the Star Team but I don't want them making other changes to my STAR like what happened to yours last month, and you weren't satisfied with those changes. If Comcast doesn't want to cooperate with me that might be my only option, though.
I'm not completely unsatisfied, there are just further changes that need to be made. What did you do back in January to get the problem fixed? How long did it take?
TWC in...

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: July 14, 2009, 10:24:51 AM »
All I did was contacted Comcast countless times about this. It was fixed a month later, but I don't know if the technical department actually saw the emails I sent, or they just noticed it themselves.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1707 on: July 14, 2009, 11:02:25 AM »
All I did was contacted Comcast countless times about this. It was fixed a month later, but I don't know if the technical department actually saw the emails I sent, or they just noticed it themselves.
That's the advice I would offer to you in this case. Be persistent, and perhaps it will pay off. Try going to the headend office where the Bensalem Intellistar is located and see if they know what is going on.
TWC in...

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: July 14, 2009, 11:07:52 AM »
This is for the iStar here in Marlton, not Bensalem. I'll see about visiting my headend today, I think it's in Cherry Hill somewhere.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1709 on: July 14, 2009, 11:21:18 AM »
Oh okay, I thought you were still in Bensalem.
I found a location that says it is in nearby Maple Shade, but when I look at it on Virtual Earth, it looks like a shopping center. If worse comes to worse, ask Comcast where the location is to verify. I would think there is no reason they would want to conceal it from you.
TWC in...