April 27, 2024, 07:35:00 PM

Author Topic: General LF Discussion  (Read 1128631 times)

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: General LF Discussion
« Reply #1680 on: July 12, 2009, 10:34:10 PM »
I wonder if HiRAD is capable of reporting Funnel Clouds and Tornadoes as a current weather observation though...

We had EAS bulletins interrupting regular programming when we got hit by a tornado 16 months ago, I t would have been really neat to see something like that on my IntelliStar that night, but knowing me I would have been freaking out at the same time.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #1681 on: July 12, 2009, 10:46:15 PM »
I wonder if HiRAD is capable of reporting Funnel Clouds and Tornadoes as a current weather observation though...

We had EAS bulletins interrupting regular programming when we got hit by a tornado 16 months ago, I t would have been really neat to see something like that on my IntelliStar that night, but knowing me I would have been freaking out at the same time.
I always wondered about that too. My area is sometimes under a tornado warning and all they show is a severe/heavy thunderstorm icon instead.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #1682 on: July 12, 2009, 10:53:14 PM »

I always wondered about that too. My area is sometimes under a tornado warning and all they show is a severe/heavy thunderstorm icon instead.

Up until this past week, all I ever saw was the Rain, Heavy Rain ,and Showers icons, it used to really tick my off because it was always wrong most of the time it was lightning and thundering like crazy and it would say showers in the vicinity and usually it was 20 minutes behind on updating to any kind of precip outside.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline LFMusicFan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
  • SD Channel #: 61
« Reply #1683 on: July 12, 2009, 11:48:38 PM »
I'm not talking about hirad or if there's a tornado warning. I'm talking about if the 4000 were to encounter a METAR report such as this:
KARR 052345Z 25008KT 9SM FC FEW065 23/16 A2990 RMK FUNNEL CLOUD......

Rather than displaying 'partly cloudy' (which would be shown because of 'FEW'), the 4000 would display some kind of tornado icon on the CC screen.

And I can assure you that neither the intellistar nor the XL are capable of reporting tornado/funnel cloud as a current condition.
WeatherSTAR 4000 radar map - last updated 11/25/08 at 11:15 PM PDT

Youtube - Myspace - FileFront

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #1684 on: July 13, 2009, 12:04:17 AM »
Nope.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
« Reply #1685 on: July 13, 2009, 01:19:17 AM »
Nope.
HiRAD has a lot of issues. Needs to be accurate for once before it can a display tornado/funnel cloud icon.
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #1686 on: July 13, 2009, 01:25:12 AM »
It needs better tweaking so it can report fog and haze more often. It's hazy here all the time during the summer, but I've only seen haze being reported here once since HiRAD was put into play, and that was in August 2007. Fog and haze is reported a lot more often with the reporting stations.

We also had smoke around here last spring when wildfires were burning in the Pine Barrens, but no HiRAD locations were reporting smoke, even locales located near or within the pine barrens like Fort Dix, Browns Mills, and Lakewood.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 01:30:18 AM by Mike M »

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1687 on: July 13, 2009, 01:57:03 AM »
It needs better tweaking so it can report fog and haze more often. It's hazy here all the time during the summer, but I've only seen haze being reported here once since HiRAD was put into play, and that was in August 2007. Fog and haze is reported a lot more often with the reporting stations.

We also had smoke around here last spring when wildfires were burning in the Pine Barrens, but no HiRAD locations were reporting smoke, even locales located near or within the pine barrens like Fort Dix, Browns Mills, and Lakewood.
Well, as it says in my signature, I have never seen Heavy Snow, Heavy Rain, or Visibilities lower than 0.3 miles, not once since HiRAD was installed here. Really bothers me when I can't see 10 feet down Pennsylvania Avenue in snow, not even down to the hospital a block to my north.
TWC in...

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #1688 on: July 13, 2009, 11:08:08 AM »
I see heavy rain being reported here all the time here. Only seen heavy snow once or twice, though.

Offline narunetto

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 706
  • SD Channel #: 78
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #1689 on: July 13, 2009, 01:32:37 PM »
My biggest gripe is that HiRAD is verrrry wrong with temperature around here. It varies too much around here for HiRAD to work. For example it might be 78 at the Seattle Airport where the reporting station is, but it'll be 86 here in Auburn. But, instead HiRAD only thinks it's 81 here.

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #1690 on: July 13, 2009, 01:56:43 PM »
The HiRAD temperature for Bensalem is almost always the same (maybe 1-2º apart sometimes) as the temperature reading at the Northeast Philadelphia airport station, which is only about 10-15 minutes from here.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1691 on: July 13, 2009, 03:11:14 PM »
I see heavy rain being reported here all the time here. Only seen heavy snow once or twice, though.
Could just be a fluke with my unit. I've never seen it happen though, even when the airport is reporting heavy precip or visibilities less than 0.3 miles, and I am less than 5 miles from it.

My biggest gripe is that HiRAD is verrrry wrong with temperature around here. It varies too much around here for HiRAD to work. For example it might be 78 at the Seattle Airport where the reporting station is, but it'll be 86 here in Auburn. But, instead HiRAD only thinks it's 81 here.
That seems to me like the idea HiRAD was originally developed to address. My biggest thing is that a software program installed on a STAR will NEVER do a good job with local demographics (changes in elevation, population density, etc).
TWC in...

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #1692 on: July 13, 2009, 03:39:14 PM »
All you people do is bitch complain. :rolleyes:

HiRAD, while not perfect, is a VERY neat technology. If you think you can do better, go to college, develop something better, and then get back to me and we'll talk.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #1693 on: July 13, 2009, 03:50:43 PM »

HiRAD, while not perfect, is a VERY neat technology. If you think you can do better, go to college, develop something better, and then get back to me and we'll talk.
Amen. :clap:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1694 on: July 13, 2009, 07:58:58 PM »

Tyler, I hate to break it to you, but you don't know everything. You have terrible temperment, and you are much too cocky. If my "bitching" really bothers you that much, ignore it and either change the topic of discussion or stay out of here until someone else does. Your opinion of HiRAD is fine, but I think it is crap, and I know it always will be. Any reason TWC has to cut itself off from the NWS? Try acting more mature than you think I am for once. I may not be helping my case, but you are not the administrator here.

Amen. :clap:
You know Zach, I seem to remember a time when you were on the other side of the fence. When did the tables suddenly turn? I obviously wasn't aware of it. Don't try to make yourself look good, because that is exactly what you were doing there. Tyler wants to interpret things the wrong way here, maybe I should follow suit.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 08:01:17 PM by socool775 »
TWC in...