April 27, 2024, 09:58:43 AM

Author Topic: General TWC Discussion  (Read 1891716 times)

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: General TWC Discussion
« Reply #8820 on: June 18, 2013, 02:11:57 PM »
Good grief, I wonder how much money TWC gets for decking their homepage out in these (what I think are) annoying ads.  Maybe that's the money they need to keep vocals on the LOT8s! :lol: <_<

It's not just Weather.com at the end of Morning Rush they played the trailer for the movie as a part of the show. :no:
Why would NBC Universal want to promote a Disney Movie as a segment during any of their shows or promote it on their websites?
Not to mention the movie is not out till November 27.  :thrilled:

I get why they are promoting Despicable Me 2 since it's distributed by Universal Pictures.

I have a great idea! How about having weather be the first thing on weather.com instead of a slide show of stories with some of them not even related to weather.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 02:16:37 PM by IceManNYR »

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #8821 on: June 18, 2013, 02:27:09 PM »
Good grief, I wonder how much money TWC gets for decking their homepage out in these (what I think are) annoying ads.  Maybe that's the money they need to keep vocals on the LOT8s! :lol: <_<

I have a great idea! How about having weather be the first thing on weather.com instead of a slide show of stories with some of them not even related to weather.

This must be to weather.com what longform is to TWC.  In light of the potential money trouble, what would be cheaper, weather coverage or longform?  One might say longform is cheaper because it can be rerun over and over; weather coverage is only rerun so many times (it really is, no kidding).  However, there's so much longform that the cost might balance out in the long run.  ;)

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8822 on: June 18, 2013, 02:33:02 PM »

You do not know how much I have wanted this.  Heck, I have even sent them feedback at times asking why they have to have these stupid top-stories on "What is THIS?" or "They Did WHAT?" or "How Did THAT happen?" or whatever other crap they like to promote when there is something more important to talk about: WEATHER.  Again, I guess it's just a way of making money.  Let's just say I wish I was in charge of weather.com.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #8823 on: June 18, 2013, 02:48:40 PM »
I get The Weather Channel airing commercials for the Disney Movie. It was just strange to have Mike Bettes doing an intro to the trailer during the live show and having Kyla being on a video clip that airs before the trailer on weather.com.

I doubt any Disney TV network would do the same thing for a Universal movie.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8824 on: June 18, 2013, 04:44:16 PM »
TWC started WCL 30 minutes early to cover a reported tornado in Denver.  It's a good thing too - I almost didn't think they were going to. :hammer:

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #8825 on: June 20, 2013, 05:27:04 AM »
I noticed the touch screen in the studio that used to have a Perceptive Pixel logo on the bottom on it now has a Microsoft Logo.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8826 on: June 20, 2013, 12:43:44 PM »
Where are Chris and Alex in this picture?  Is that the Global Forecast Center?  This was taken from the 10 PM ET hour of WCL last night, and I also noticed that Day Planner is in the same place this morning.  Is something going on with the "normal location" in the HD studio?

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #8827 on: June 20, 2013, 02:03:13 PM »
On the AM shows and WLC they were avoiding the video wall area so I'm guessing it was being worked on.

That is Studio 1C the former Digital Media Center that got a remodel in 2012.
It used to have the left side of the studio with the desk and computers and the right side of the studio with the brick wall interview area.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:38:37 PM by IceManNYR »

Offline brandonmahaffey85

• Avid Weather Channel Watcher
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 441
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22826
  • WxScan Ch. #: 17
« Reply #8828 on: June 21, 2013, 02:03:17 PM »
I'm starting to think TWC is doing some of the changes that are coming. With the live shows such as DP, WCL, etc being shot in a different studio now. We can all hope they are making the changes now and hopefully they will be good changes.
Brandon Mahaffey

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #8829 on: June 22, 2013, 10:00:38 PM »
Here's the answer from Kyla on FB about the video wall area,
"Kyla Grogan It's been getting some work done Should be back soon, I would guess Monday."
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 01:15:53 AM by IceManNYR »

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333
« Reply #8830 on: June 24, 2013, 02:34:38 AM »
The video wall was used during 10pm WCL

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #8831 on: June 25, 2013, 02:34:05 PM »
TWC has preempted long-form programming to cover President Obama's speech on climate change.

EDIT: TWC has resumed regular programming as of 3PM ET.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 03:10:27 PM by TWCJim »
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline ap215

• View Profile
« Reply #8832 on: July 06, 2013, 12:03:24 AM »
From the LA Times

The weather's always fine for the Weather Channel

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-weather-channel-ratings-20130705,0,4755475.story

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #8833 on: July 08, 2013, 11:04:36 AM »
Great article.  I watched TWC's coverage of the Moore, Oklahoma tornado and was taken by surprise at how awesome their coverage was.  Straight to the point, great explanations and nothing seemed hype (I mean seriously, I don't think there is a such thing as "hype" with a tornado like that).

I remember reading a statistic saying that 96% of the viewers during that time period were not watching from areas affected.  Not that I need to tell you, but that leaves just 4% of people in the areas affected were tuned in to The Weather Channel.  So, that means, a fact that many of you have brought up here, people tune into their local television stations for storm coverage.

Anyway, I sometimes have TWC on as background, and seriously, Lava Chasers?

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8834 on: July 09, 2013, 07:13:21 PM »
The only thing that bothered me about that article was the sixth paragraph:

Helped by a steady string of blizzards, tropical storms, hurricanes and tornadoes, the cable channel has increased its revenue while some other media outlets have struggled. Even when the weather in most of the country is mild, the channel's round-the-clock coverage tends to be heavy with big graphics, capital letters and warnings of what bad weather could be unfolding somewhere, soon, in the United States. Such weather data are now expanding to the Web and cellphones, part of the reason the company changed its name to the Weather Co. from the Weather Channel late last year.

Round-clock coverage?  Are you kidding me? :rolleyes:  Perhaps they were referring to the mobile apps and website.  However, I completely agree with the latter part of the paragraph that says TWC likes to focus on the "future" instead of the "now."  Take this instance, for example.  Instead of including decent coverage of the central Plains heat wave and Midwest storms on their homepage, they have the big red banner and top story as something about Chantal, a tropical storm still days away from "landfall."