April 27, 2024, 05:01:24 PM

Author Topic: Site News  (Read 252598 times)

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Site News
« Reply #1155 on: May 07, 2009, 08:08:12 AM »
socool, here's the bottom line: either live with the limitations or leave. You don't need to tell us your life story in your sig. A few sentences is more than sufficient.

Martin, I wouldn't tighten the restrictions any further. I think 7 lines is sufficient. But of course thats just my opinion.  :biggrin: B)
Where are you guys getting this idea that I am telling my life story? It is barely 3 sentences about my opinion, and has been there since February.
Aaron, want a tip to help you out? Try to put your sig into an image with a height of 140px... that sig could look great with a nice small font and such... use some creativity and imagination  :biggrin:

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
« Reply #1156 on: May 07, 2009, 08:11:27 AM »
socool, here's the bottom line: either live with the limitations or leave. You don't need to tell us your life story in your sig. A few sentences is more than sufficient.

Martin, I wouldn't tighten the restrictions any further. I think 7 lines is sufficient. But of course thats just my opinion.  :biggrin: B)
Where are you guys getting this idea that I am telling my life story? It is barely 3 sentences about my opinion, and has been there since February.
Aaron, want a tip to help you out? Try to put your sig into an image with a height of 140px... that sig could look great with a nice small font and such... use some creativity and imagination  :biggrin:
That's not a bad idea, thanks! The only problem though, I am not good with artwork like many of the other people on this site are  ;)  :blushing:  :no:  <_<
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

phw115wvwx

« Reply #1157 on: May 07, 2009, 09:47:33 AM »
Aaron, ask others for help with the artwork if needed.  If you'd rather keep your signature as text, try quick bullet points or a brief list so that you still say what you want but far more efficiently.  I counted 13 complete sentences in your signature, and that's just way too many.  Just state that you hate the current IntelliStar, HiRAD, and Trupoint.  If we want to know why you hate them, we'll ask you personally.

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #1158 on: May 07, 2009, 03:30:16 PM »
Im highly thinking about bring that 7 to 5. Im viewing some signatures maxed out to 7 that still look long and cluttered to me. Let me know what you think.

If members could understand the concept of a signature then we wouldn't need restrictions

I say go for 5. :biggrin:

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1159 on: May 07, 2009, 03:36:52 PM »
I would just like to say that this whole thing would not be such an issue had I not been confronted with it. I was never asked kindly to change the length of my signature. It was done for me, and I was made to feel as though everyone is against me. If I can get help from Jesse and Patrick, then maybe I can manage to shorten my signature. But again, it was fine as it was and my signature is my signature.
TWC in...

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: May 07, 2009, 03:47:04 PM »
Seven seems fine to me. I can barely fit all of my links with seven, and my signature isn't long at all. Does anyone have an answer to the question I posted this morning?

I think the best solution to this is to set the default font size of signature to a lower size, like 1 instead of 2 like it is now. That would make it considerably shorter, and we could increase the limit a line or two. In fact, I think a character limit is better than a line limit, like, say, 500 characters. That's how it's like in most forums, and the signatures would turn out better that way.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 03:54:44 PM by Mike M »

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #1161 on: May 07, 2009, 04:22:31 PM »
Seven seems fine to me. I can barely fit all of my links with seven, and my signature isn't long at all. Does anyone have an answer to the question I posted this morning?

I think the best solution to this is to set the default font size of signature to a lower size, like 1 instead of 2 like it is now. That would make it considerably shorter, and we could increase the limit a line or two. In fact, I think a character limit is better than a line limit, like, say, 500 characters. That's how it's like in most forums, and the signatures would turn out better that way.
Actually there was a character limit I put in place but I am taking that down a notch. As for the lines, I think 7 is good for now.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1162 on: May 07, 2009, 04:31:48 PM »

Actually there was a character limit I put in place but I am taking that down a notch. As for the lines, I think 7 is good for now.
Well thanks a lot Martin, that unnecessary change of signature length truncated my signature. Do you want to get rid of them altogether? Seems that way to me.

I already took out tidbits of info tat did notadd to my points, took out spaces between thoughts/ideas/points, and also took out some extre emotocons that needed to be there. Is there any room for a signature at all?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 04:36:25 PM by socool375 »
TWC in...

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #1163 on: May 07, 2009, 04:47:48 PM »
You are allowed 700 characters. Isn't that long enough for most people?

If there is a large outcry over this I will consider changing. I reduced my computers resolution to compare how the forums looked with current signatures but still saw things as cluttered. I really dont see the big problem. :dunno:

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1164 on: May 07, 2009, 04:53:58 PM »
You are allowed 700 characters. Isn't that long enough for most people?
Believe it or not, the amount of characters adds up. You failed to at least tell me you were going to forcefully truncate my signature.

I really dont see the big problem. :dunno:
That's what I'm saying!  :rofl2:
Seriously, what all of a sudden made you decide that you needed to change signature lengths so that they could almost no longer exist?
TWC in...

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #1165 on: May 07, 2009, 04:54:13 PM »
I think 700 characters is plenty and sufficient.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 04:56:09 PM by twcfan68 »

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1166 on: May 07, 2009, 04:55:34 PM »
I think 700 is way more than enough.
Well look at your signature. Is there even so much as 50 characters on it? Mine was fine as it was.
TWC in...

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #1167 on: May 07, 2009, 04:57:38 PM »
Look, yours was too long. When I'm scanning a thread I don't want to see all of that. That's my opinion.

Offline Stephen

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 1038
  • HD WxStar ID #: 28111
  • SD Channel #: 38
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22694
  • WxScan Ch. #: 324
« Reply #1168 on: May 07, 2009, 05:08:44 PM »
Look, yours was too long. When I'm scanning a thread I don't want to see all of that. That's my opinion.
Exactly! That's why we have those restrictions in place. :thumbsup:

Offline Al

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: SuddenLink
  • SD Channel #: 02
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22975
« Reply #1169 on: May 07, 2009, 05:24:05 PM »
I think 700 is way more than enough.
Well look at your signature. Is there even so much as 50 characters on it? Mine was fine as it was.

nobody likes to see outrageously long and pointless signatures...your signature right now (the text you have) is unnecessary, and honestly am surprised an admin has not gotten after you for it. you're the only one with the issue on this topic, and for the most part the mass majority tends to win in situations like this, that being said - just three more words: get over it.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 05:32:02 PM by 20AL09 »