April 27, 2024, 04:16:39 PM

Author Topic: Site News  (Read 252585 times)

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Site News
« Reply #1140 on: May 06, 2009, 10:04:37 PM »
9 7 lines max for signatures. Forum updated everyones signatures so if yours was too long it was shortened. You may need to fix it

Images are not affected... yet. Im looking into those
Why does it matter? I don't see the big deal with signatures of any length (within reason). I fail to see why mine had to be shortened. :dunno:

Not to be rude, but yours doesn't look shortened at all. :no: Martin, what do you mean by "lines"?
Uh, okay...
The bottom line was supposed to be three lines, and I know I did not shorten that.

I don't get what the big deal is with the sigs. Just change to "Do not show users signatures" in your account.
Yeah, that's what I am saying. I don't see why it matters, so long as the signature length is within reason.
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #1141 on: May 06, 2009, 10:07:40 PM »
Because chances are that if you don't want to view others sigs, they're all going to be image sigs anyways.

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
« Reply #1142 on: May 06, 2009, 10:26:00 PM »
All I'm going to say is that there are several people here who have sigs that are so big that their unsightly. I had thought long and hard about making similar restrictions, but just decided to go with the live and let live approach to the problem. I think Martin is 100% justified in making these restrictions. It seems to me that for the most part the only people not liking the restrictions are those who have sigs that are not within those restrictions.  <_<

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1143 on: May 06, 2009, 11:02:06 PM »
All I'm going to say is that there are several people here who have sigs that are so big that their unsightly. I had thought long and hard about making similar restrictions, but just decided to go with the live and let live approach to the problem. I think Martin is 100% justified in making these restrictions. It seems to me that for the most part the only people not liking the restrictions are those who have sigs that are not within those restrictions.  <_<
Well, I think it is just stupid and unnecessary. 7 lines is too short to say much of anything. As long as it is within reason, people should be allowed to set their own limits.
TWC in...

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #1144 on: May 06, 2009, 11:27:58 PM »
Well, I think it is just stupid and unnecessary. 7 lines is too short to say much of anything. As long as it is within reason, people should be allowed to set their own limits.
I thought about going lower than 7 lines.
A signature is meant to be a brief statement or perhaps display a small image you want to share. NOT to tell your life story!!   
Do you really need to tell the entire history of the XL and IS and how you dont like it in a paragraph that is shown under EVERY post you make?  I honestly dont think so. Long signatures clutter up things, makes reading posts difficult. Long signatures are distracting and are unnecessary IMO.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 11:31:03 PM by Martin »

Offline Al

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: SuddenLink
  • SD Channel #: 02
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22975
« Reply #1145 on: May 06, 2009, 11:38:17 PM »
A signature is meant to be a brief statement or perhaps display a small image you want to share. NOT to tell your life story!!   
Do you really need to tell the entire history of the XL and IS and how you dont like it in a paragraph that is shown under EVERY post you make?  I honestly dont think so. Long signatures clutter up things, makes reading posts difficult. Long signatures are distracting and are unnecessary IMO.

amen. thank you.  :clap:

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #1146 on: May 06, 2009, 11:39:30 PM »
Im highly thinking about bring that 7 to 5. Im viewing some signatures maxed out to 7 that still look long and cluttered to me. Let me know what you think.

If members could understand the concept of a signature then we wouldn't need restrictions
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 11:41:49 PM by Martin »

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #1147 on: May 06, 2009, 11:59:40 PM »

amen. thank you.  :clap:

Agreed.  :yes:
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1148 on: May 07, 2009, 12:24:21 AM »
Do you really need to tell the entire history of the XL and IS and how you dont like it in a paragraph that is shown under EVERY post you make? 
Actually, yes, I do. I have already shortened it myself, taking out the two qoutes I had there, and minor tidbits that did not add to the point I am attempting to make.
My signature was fine as it was, and did not clutter things up at all. I made sure to organize it and make it look neat. To me, my signature is a way to express my views. 7 lines is not enough, and 5 would not be a smart idea, IMO.

You guys all agree, fine. I don't. My signature is my signature and I should have control over how it looks. It was fine as it was.
TWC in...

Offline number1twcfan

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: MediaCom
  • SD Channel #: 25
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24380
« Reply #1149 on: May 07, 2009, 12:32:29 AM »
Do you really need to tell the entire history of the XL and IS and how you dont like it in a paragraph that is shown under EVERY post you make? 
Actually, yes, I do. I have already shortened it myself, taking out the two qoutes I had there, and minor tidbits that did not add to the point I am attempting to make.
My signature was fine as it was, and did not clutter things up at all. I made sure to organize it and make it look neat. To me, my signature is a way to express my views. 7 lines is not enough, and 5 would not be a smart idea, IMO.

You guys all agree, fine. I don't. My signature is my signature and I should have control over how it looks. It was fine as it was.
Hate to tell you this. But I agree with Martin as well.

Signature defines as...
A signature (from Latin signare, "sign") is a handwritten (and sometimes stylized) depiction of someone's name, nickname or even a simple "X" that a person writes on documents as a proof of identity and intent

Simple as that, not a 2 paragraph essay on god knows what.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1150 on: May 07, 2009, 12:35:05 AM »
Hate to tell you this. But I agree with Martin as well.

Signature defines as...
A signature (from Latin signare, "sign") is a handwritten (and sometimes stylized) depiction of someone's name, nickname or even a simple "X" that a person writes on documents as a proof of identity and intent

Simple as that, not a 2 paragraph essay on god knows what.
I don't really care if you agree with him or not. My signature is my signature, and that is that.
TWC in...

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1151 on: May 07, 2009, 12:40:09 AM »
There. I even shortened my signature so I could add a few words to it. Now, it does look cluttered since there is little separation between each of my ideas.
TWC in...

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: May 07, 2009, 06:17:19 AM »
There is a perhaps more important problem with the seven line limit. I have a lot of BBcode tags in my signature which takes over a good part of it (especially in the links to my Facebook, twitter, etc). I really don't have much on there, it's the tags that prevent me from resaving it.

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
« Reply #1153 on: May 07, 2009, 07:50:24 AM »
socool, here's the bottom line: either live with the limitations or leave. You don't need to tell us your life story in your sig. A few sentences is more than sufficient/

Martin, I wouldn't tighten the restrictions any further. I think 7 lines is sufficient. But of course thats just my opinion.  :biggrin: B)

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1154 on: May 07, 2009, 08:00:48 AM »
socool, here's the bottom line: either live with the limitations or leave. You don't need to tell us your life story in your sig. A few sentences is more than sufficient.

Martin, I wouldn't tighten the restrictions any further. I think 7 lines is sufficient. But of course thats just my opinion.  :biggrin: B)
Where are you guys getting this idea that I am telling my life story? It is barely 3 sentences about my opinion, and has been there since February.
TWC in...