May 15, 2024, 04:39:49 PM

Author Topic: Dish Network to drop TWC from 214, carragie dispute  (Read 39636 times)

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: Dish Network to drop TWC from 214, carragie dispute
« Reply #75 on: May 22, 2010, 05:26:09 PM »
Severe weather is the obvious reason, but there has to be another.  :thinking:
Its this little thing called $$$$$

That's another obvious reason. :P
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline willh699

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #76 on: May 22, 2010, 11:32:08 PM »
looks like the Dispute is officially over, as i just put on The Weather Channel and noticed something that was MIA the past few days, and that something was the LDL bar during the LOT8s, so i'm guessing they turned off the Satellite Intellistar that shows the LOT8s/LDL bar during the last few days.

Offline beanboy89

• Ultimate Member
  • Caulk the wagons and float!
    • View Profile
    • http://billy.mozfaq.org/
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 53
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22608
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #77 on: May 23, 2010, 12:04:28 AM »
looks like the Dispute is officially over, as i just put on The Weather Channel and noticed something that was MIA the past few days, and that something was the LDL bar during the LOT8s, so i'm guessing they turned off the Satellite Intellistar that shows the LOT8s/LDL bar during the last few days.
AFAIK, the LF LDL on Dish was disabled back in March when the blue LDL was replaced.
My super-awesome website!
[00:45] <SpringRubberMB> I wear a condom everywhere I go!

Offline willh699

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 23, 2010, 03:00:03 AM »
AFAIK, the LF LDL on Dish was disabled back in March when the blue LDL was replaced.

but they re-enabled in a while back, i mentioned in i think was the "New LDL bar" thread

Offline willh699

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 24, 2010, 02:04:13 AM »
just giving everyone an head up, The Weather Channel will go dark this morning at 3AM ET/12 AM PT for 30 mins to an hour, as well as The Weather Cast and most of the channels on Dish Network.

the reason: Dish Network is moving these channels off a Satellite to another new Satellite in the same location. The satellite that these channels are one right now is known as Echostar 7, which is located at 119.0°W and the one it's moving to is called Echostar 14, which will become the new 119.0°W satellite in space. so Dish Customers, don't worry about why The Weather Channel is gone. it won't go away, just go dark for this satellite transition.

i been following the carriage disputed and the 119.0°W transition on a satellite TV forum site called Satelliteguys.us. that's where i got the news about Dish's threat to pull The Weather Channel from.

edit: actually, it's this morning, not tonight since it's after midnight here.

Offline ruhgster

• First Name: Ryan
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #80 on: May 24, 2010, 09:30:11 AM »
Looks like the dispute has been resolved.

DISH Network and The Weather Channel Reach Agreement
Includes development of new full-time weather forecasting services

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. and ATLANTA, May 24, 2010 /PRNewswire via COMTEX News Network/ -- DISH Network L.L.C. and The Weather Channel today announced that they have reached a multi-year agreement for continued distribution of The Weather Channel on DISH Network's programming platform.

The deal provides for collaboration between both companies in developing state-of-the-art, full-time weather forecasting services designed specifically for satellite customers, including localized weather programming on DISH Network Ch. 213 (in addition to The Weather Channel's main feed on Ch. 214), interactive TV applications, as well as new Internet and mobile services.

Deployment of the new services will begin this summer.

"Through this new partnership with The Weather Channel, DISH Network is giving our subscribers exactly what they've asked for and more. Not only are we developing a unique satellite service that provides localized weather 24/7, but also we'll soon deliver personalized weather reports via the Android mobile platform and the web," said Dave Shull, senior vice president of Programming for DISH Network. "This agreement recognizes the importance of cross-platform video delivery, ensuring that our subscribers will have the most detailed local weather information available at their fingertips anytime, anywhere."

"DISH Network and their customers are extremely important to us, and maintaining and expanding our partnership is a high priority for our company," said Mike Kelly, CEO and President of The Weather Channel. "DISH Network will now be carrying two of our channels - The Weather Channel and a customized 24-hour, all-local weather information network - to provide even better service to their customers. We also look forward to working with DISH Network on other cross-platform and interactive initiatives, taking advantage of our leadership position in mobile and the Internet."
Additional terms of the deal were not disclosed.

About DISH Network
DISH Network L.L.C., a subsidiary of DISH Network Corporation (Nasdaq: DISH), leads the pay-TV industry in technological breakthroughs and provides more than 14.3 million satellite TV customers, as of March 31, 2010, with the highest quality programming and technology at the best value. Customers have access to the most HD channels, the most international channels, state-of-the-art interactive TV applications, and award-winning HD and DVR technology including the ViP 922 SlingLoaded DVR, the world's only DVR with TV Everywhere functionality. DISH Network Corporation is included in the Nasdaq-100 Index (NDX) and is a Fortune 200 company. Visit www.dish.com, follow on Twitter, @dishnetwork (DISH Network (dishnetwork) on Twitter), or become a Fan on Facebook, www.facebook.com/dishnetwork.

About The Weather Channel Companies
The Weather Channel Companies (TWCC) is made up of The Weather Channel television network, The Weather Channel digital properties, and Weather Services International (WSI). The Weather Channel(R) is based in Atlanta and is seen in more than 100 million U.S. households. TWC also operates Weatherscan, a 24-hour all-local weather network and seen in 20 of the top 25 markets; The Weather Channel Radio Network; and The Weather Channel HD. The digital properties of TWC, which include the weather.com(R) site, The Weather Channel Desktop and The Weather Channel Mobile, reach more than 40 million unique users online each month and is the most popular source of online weather, news and information according to Nielsen//NetRatings. WSI, headquartered in Andover, MA, primarily provides business-to-business weather services, particularly for the media, aviation, marine and energy sectors. TWCC is owned by a consortium made up of NBC Universal and the private equity firms The Blackstone Group and Bain Capital. For more information, visit www.weather.com/press.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/214277-dish-network-weather-channel-reach-renewal.html

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #81 on: May 24, 2010, 11:02:13 AM »
The Weather Cast posted this on their FB page

UPDATE: The Weather Cast will no longer be available on Dish Network, channel 213. Dish Network and The Weather Channel will be bringing you a new service with your local weather information

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 24, 2010, 11:04:53 AM »
Dang.. beat me to it.

This means..... The Weather Cast will no longer be available now that TWC has finally agreed with Dish.

Awwww, but the rivalry was just getting good!!!! Oh well.  :whistling:
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.

Drobbins

« Reply #83 on: May 24, 2010, 01:49:22 PM »
Just as long as I can get the weather when I want and not have to sit through movies, morning shows, weather stories, annoying commercials for a channel I am already watching, etc... It doesn't matter to me if it is The Weather Channel (TWC) or The Weather Cast (TWC) just as long as my bill does not go up!

Offline Darr'chelle

• View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 70
« Reply #84 on: May 24, 2010, 02:28:33 PM »
Yes, it has been resolved, apparently...

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/generalities/weather_channel_dish_network_strike_deal_162448.asp?c=rss

"A spokesperson for Weather declined to comment on how much more the channel was getting in affiliate fees (the network was previously receiving approximately 11 cents per subscriber, according to SNL Kagan), but noted that the new agreement includes a second channel, interactive TV features and mobile applications. The second channel will be located next to Weather on DISH's lineup, at channel 213, and will feature localized weather reports. It will also be taking the place of DISH's Weather Cast service, which the satellite operator was threatening to replace Weather with on its lineup."

The exact opposite of what was needed, but the fact that Charlie wanted to play hardball should be a huge wake up call for the channel.

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 24, 2010, 02:40:32 PM »
This sounds similar to WeatherScan... but man... I'm not happy.  :no:
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #86 on: May 24, 2010, 03:17:35 PM »
This is stupid. TWC really needed this as a lesson and instead they're getting the exact opposite. I had a feeling WeatherCast was gonna be gone :(

Offline willh699

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2010, 04:37:45 PM »
Courtesy of Satelliteguys.us and it's founder Scott Greczkowski:

this is a picture of the message that people are seeing on Channel 213, which was home to The Weather Cast:

so that means The Weather Cast is no more on Dish. the dispute is finally over, thank god.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2010, 04:46:18 PM »
I thought I saw images somewhere on the internet to where The Weather Cast's local app was exactly the same one TWC had for Dish, but with different icons and a different logo. :thinking:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 24, 2010, 07:38:23 PM »
IIRC, that was on Photobucket  :yes: