2005-2008/new logo-climategate issues
3 (23.1%)
2008-2009/NBC purchase/HD relaunch
6 (46.2%)
2009-present/Al Rooker/OCM different shifts/etc
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: December 01, 2010, 09:16:13 PM

Author Topic: So...when has TWC really jumped the shark?  (Read 7649 times)

bergone

So...when has TWC really jumped the shark?
« on: August 22, 2010, 08:04:30 PM »
 I say, hands down, when NBC bought it in 2008. Definately. I wish A&B would be on at night again, I think Stephanie does well at times, seems cool to hangout with in person probably, but she is a little too loud for mornings. IMO. They need to stop having so much graphics/scrolls and stuff like that. It's ok to have nice graphics, and a few scrolls, but damn, they just overload. Big time. Also cancel Wake Up with Al, as I like to call him "Al Rooker" because he is barely a meterologist (get the joke/pun/whatever, Rooker?) and they need to stop showing news that is not related to weather. 2 weeks ago I heard about a turtle almost getting killed crossing the street. Yeah that's weather. Cool. It's only a matter of time before one of the headlines is about Jim Cantore's Facebook page getting tons and tons of spam comments in almost record time. And they will try and analyze it and such. Holy smokes, sometimes I think that behind the scenes some of the OCM's/meterologists are playing games and such, like beer pong. Ah, I can see it now...

"Well I can tell you that we don't know for sure how much rain will fall in the south later on today, but I do know is that Jim Cantore will NOT get this pong ball in the cup. WHOA! Jimmy you just proved me wrong!"

Jim Cantore- "I should grab a beer, that was fantastic."

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: So...when has TWC really jumped the shark?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 08:29:32 PM »
Landmartk didnt have a choice to TWC themselves or not. The founder of TWC was ill only to find out he passed under a year later and they didnt have the money

The OCMs are placed in slots where NBC sees the most popularity and priority. It seemed moving A&B to mornings after Marshall Seese retiring made YWT popular again (opinion)

For the news stuff, graphics, rock music, etc, thats NBCs way of bringing in money and Im sure TWC likes that just for $$$

Overall they really havent jumped the shark. The info-displayed L3rd was introduced prior to NBCs purchase and they have told news-related stories in the past. When i see the stories, I still see some weather applied into them although a bear attack and arrest seems a little too much

As for OCM layoffs, they happen. The OCMs that get layed off are likely ones coming close to renewal (except for Bill Keneely since he haad higher seniority and has been there forever) and they dont have the money to handle paying them. :no: Yes they could keep their jobs but they would have to have lower pay which they dont want :hmm:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 08:44:10 PM »
Landmartk didnt have a choice to TWC themselves or not. The founder of TWC was ill only to find out he passed under a year later and they didnt have the money

The OCMs are placed in slots where NBC sees the most popularity and priority. It seemed moving A&B to mornings after Marshall Seese retiring made YWT popular again (opinion)

For the news stuff, graphics, rock music, etc, thats NBCs way of bringing in money and Im sure TWC likes that just for $$$

Overall they really havent jumped the shark. The info-displayed L3rd was introduced prior to NBCs purchase and they have told news-related stories in the past. When i see the stories, I still see some weather applied into them although a bear attack and arrest seems a little too much

As for OCM layoffs, they happen. The OCMs that get layed off are likely ones coming close to renewal (except for Bill Keneely since he haad higher seniority and has been there forever) and they dont have the money to handle paying them. :no: Yes they could keep their jobs but they would have to have lower pay which they dont want :hmm:
Wasn't part of the reason why Landmark gave up TWC to NBC was due to the Hillary Andrews/Bob Stokes lawsuit?

Offline Travis(:

• View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 09:04:35 PM »
No the only reason NBC won was because there were the only ones left to bid after time warner cable dropped out. Plus that incident occurred long before the sale of the weather channel was heating up.

bergone

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 09:48:05 PM »
Also, hasn't Comcast bought NBC? I know this is a little offtopic, but I recall back in Decemebr this was making headlines.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 10:11:30 PM »

Wasn't part of the reason why Landmark gave up TWC to NBC was due to the Hillary Andrews/Bob Stokes lawsuit?
No  :no:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2010, 10:12:10 PM »
Also, hasn't Comcast bought NBC? I know this is a little offtopic, but I recall back in Decemebr this was making headlines.

Last time I heard, they were still negotiating.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2010, 11:22:32 PM »
TWC jumped the shark with the rock and soundtrack music, and FAAF. Plus all the doggone longform on weekends!!!  :hammer: WUWA isn't the worst thing that TWC has done. To me, it's tolerable.
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2010, 11:29:25 PM »
TWC jumped the shark with the rock and soundtrack music, and FAAF.

...which I luckily found out from Mike that it has been permanently cancelled. :) At least that's a step in the right direction.

bergone

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2010, 11:38:57 PM »
Good news about the flick thing. That was gay. Still want more changes though. But we all know that is extremely unlikely.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 11:59:29 PM »
First, let me say that I've always hated the expression "jumped the shark." It sounds much better to say "when did (insert TV show or network name here) start to suck?" Anyway, for me, it was 2000 with the introduction of Atmospheres. I believe that was the first moment I was watching TWC and thought to myself "you gotta be kidding me." However, it was still pretty good for a few more years. Then they started adding more shows whose weather subject was VERY thin. Thow in some global warming propaganda, some pretty dull music on the LF, don't cover severe weather, and I've all but lost interest.

BTW, IIRC Landmark sold TWC purely b/c it wanted to. It had nothing to do with someone being sick or a lawsuit. So yes, they had a choice. Dave Schwartz said in an interview that he thought it was odd that the sale happened right before the financial collapse. I do too. I think they sold TWC b/c they knew what was coming. Smart move.
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 12:13:53 AM »
 :facepalm:

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 12:24:47 AM »
First, let me say that I've always hated the expression "jumped the shark." It sounds much better to say "when did (insert TV show or network name here) start to suck?" Anyway, for me, it was 2000 with the introduction of Atmospheres. I believe that was the first moment I was watching TWC and thought to myself "you gotta be kidding me." However, it was still pretty good for a few more years. Then they started adding more shows whose weather subject was VERY thin. Thow in some global warming propaganda, some pretty dull music on the LF, don't cover severe weather, and I've all but lost interest.

BTW, IIRC Landmark sold TWC purely b/c it wanted to. It had nothing to do with someone being sick or a lawsuit. So yes, they had a choice. Dave Schwartz said in an interview that he thought it was odd that the sale happened right before the financial collapse. I do too. I think they sold TWC b/c they knew what was coming. Smart move.

Atmospheres started all of the nonstop longform we have during weekday afternoons and especially on weekends. Unless you watch during the morning time before 2pm, you can't get any type of forecast (save for two measley hours at 6 and 11pm, respectively) on Saturday and Sunday!!!
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline Jake

• Jake
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 03:06:09 AM »
not to mention, those are the same exact times your local news appears, 6pm and 11pm ET, so they picked some great timing there! (NOT!)..

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 10:47:32 AM »
(off-topic) Too bad JTS isn't around anymore.
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper