2005-2008/new logo-climategate issues
3 (23.1%)
2008-2009/NBC purchase/HD relaunch
6 (46.2%)
2009-present/Al Rooker/OCM different shifts/etc
4 (30.8%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: December 01, 2010, 09:16:13 PM

Author Topic: So...when has TWC really jumped the shark?  (Read 7651 times)

Offline CartoonJazzLover

• Ultimate Member
  • Former TWC Fan (2003-2011)
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 52
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: So...when has TWC really jumped the shark?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2010, 05:29:05 PM »
March 2, 2009. The day The Weather Channel became the Weather/News Channel.
Agreed, and I was still a 6th grader at that time.

bergone

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2010, 06:38:30 PM »
I think it became news before March 2, 2009.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2010, 01:38:57 AM »
I think it became news before March 2, 2009.
Well, when Abrams and Bettes premiered in 2006, that show was intended for weather news and not just forecasts. But the other shows still showed mostly hard weather forecasts (with only occasional weather-related news) until early 2009.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2010, 05:10:31 AM »
Seems like these whine-fest threads become a monthly thing now. Well here is my opinion. NBC is not responsible for all of the shifts in direction TWC has experienced, they merely sped it up. TWC has done nothing different than any other cable network has done.

You ask when did this happen? It happened the day people kept watching TWC when they starting airing long form and non weather programming. If they weren't getting decent viewers and ratings then TWC wouldn't be showing it now would they? TWC is a for profit company. Some of you seem to forget that. Its a business and a business is designed to make money. End of story.

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2010, 07:40:17 AM »
Seems like these whine-fest threads become a monthly thing now. Well here is my opinion. NBC is not responsible for all of the shifts in direction TWC has experienced, they merely sped it up. TWC has done nothing different than any other cable network has done.

You ask when did this happen? It happened the day people kept watching TWC when they starting airing long form and non weather programming. If they weren't getting decent viewers and ratings then TWC wouldn't be showing it now would they? TWC is a for profit company. Some of you seem to forget that. Its a business and a business is designed to make money. End of story.
Is this a broken record, or what.  For the umpteenth time, Martin is correct :yes:

I look at it this way.  I am an avid viewer on MTV.  I enjoy *some of the shows put on by that channel.  None of the shows I watch have nothing to do with music.  I enjoy the shows.  I never really watched the channel when they played music videos all of the time (big fan of TRL, however).  I've come to like watching MTV by flipping channels and seeing what is on.

This is what is happening with The Weather Channel, in my opinion.  Yeah, I am sure avid viewers from when weather was 24/7 still watch, but I think TWC's goal is to grab new viewers (which is probably all the network's goals).  If someone is flipping through the channels and see something on TWC that catches their eyes, they are going to stop and see what it is.  They may like what they see and keep coming back.

bergone

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2010, 10:15:54 AM »

I realize that it is making money, and all that. Like I said before, it isn't a big deal. I just wanted to ask when TWC JTS. Not to rant.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2010, 04:32:20 PM »
Feel free to run after me but i havent notice TWC jts a lot :wacko:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

bergone

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2010, 07:41:39 PM »
JTS means jump the shark, if that was what you meant.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2010, 09:20:14 PM »
JTS means jump the shark, if that was what you meant.
I am aware  :rolleyes: It isnt my fault that my DSi doesnt have a keyboard and when im in a hurry ;)
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2010, 11:39:38 PM »
I think we should rename this forum the "classic TWC debate" forum. :P