June 07, 2024, 02:46:14 AM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1789224 times)

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #14145 on: June 16, 2012, 10:21:38 PM »
I just checked the lineup and Pat Metheny's Unity Band is going to be at the Newport, RI Jazz fest August 3rd - 5th

i'm going to go hopefully all 3 days.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14146 on: June 16, 2012, 11:02:15 PM »
There was a Jazz fest concert here a couple of weekends ago, but I didn't know about it until the day of. I don't even know who was performing. If I had of known ahead of time and what musicians were performing I probably would have gone. :hmm:

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14147 on: June 17, 2012, 01:14:24 PM »
As some of you or may not know, debris from the Japan tsunami is starting to wash up all around the Pacific coastline. Here is a photo I took of a pile of debris that I found while walking from my new house to the beach. I'm guessing someone else found this debris on the beach and then moved it up inland and made this pile next to intersecting trails. Pretty interesting stuff here IMO...
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #14148 on: June 17, 2012, 02:23:56 PM »
As some of you or may not know, debris from the Japan tsunami is starting to wash up all around the Pacific coastline. Here is a photo I took of a pile of debris that I found while walking from my new house to the beach. I'm guessing someone else found this debris on the beach and then moved it up inland and made this pile next to intersecting trails. Pretty interesting stuff here IMO...
on a related note, do u guys have to purchase tsunami insurance? Seems like your area is more Tsunami prone than elsewhere in the Continental US due to it's proximity to the Cascadia Subduction Zone, not to mention Alaska and waves coming from Chile or Japan

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #14149 on: June 17, 2012, 02:31:11 PM »
on a related note, do u guys have to purchase tsunami insurance? Seems like your area is more Tsunami prone than elsewhere in the Continental US due to it's proximity to the Cascadia Subduction Zone, not to mention Alaska and waves coming from Chile or Japan

Not exactly. Even though our area is tsunami-prone like you mentioned, the chances of a big tsunami hitting this area is very slim at this point IMO.
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #14150 on: June 17, 2012, 03:26:01 PM »

Not exactly. Even though our area is tsunami-prone like you mentioned, the chances of a big tsunami hitting this area is very slim at this point IMO.

Hmm... I still wouldn't doubt the chance of a tsunami. The people in Japan didn't think it would happen to them, look where they are now. The west coast is over-due for a large earthquake or tsunami though. :thinking:
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14151 on: June 17, 2012, 03:32:59 PM »

Hmm... I still wouldn't doubt the chance of a tsunami. The people in Japan didn't think it would happen to them, look where they are now. The west coast is over-due for a large earthquake or tsunami though. :thinking:
Indeed. I was in California in 2005 and if you've been to Crescent City near the OR border, you will definitely see Tsunami Evacuation route signs around town. That city was hit by a big tsunami from the magnitude 9.2 1964 Alaska Quake.

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #14152 on: June 17, 2012, 06:12:28 PM »
Sad news today that Rodney King passed away at 47. The "can't we all just get along" quote has been a pop culture fixture and parody over the last 20 years, but a lot of people don't realize what a powerful and thoughtul question that was.
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #14153 on: June 17, 2012, 09:15:53 PM »
Thanks everyone for your condolences and well wishes. They are most appreciated and helped a lot!! :) I was out of town for the past couple days wrapping up some affairs but I hope to have a nice relaxing rest of the summer. Bring on the heat :P

Sorry to hear about your loss, Martin.  I sure hope things get better for you and your family as the last several years have been really rough for you. :(
Thanks Patrick! I'm sure things will quiet down a little :)

I'm sorry for your loss Martin :( I lost my grandmother when she was 98 2 years ago and it was tough for the  last few weeks following her death. At least we can cherish the good moments in her life 
I'm so sorry to hear that. I agree completely :yes:
Sad to hear that, Martin :( My grandmother is currently battling breast cancer right now. She goes into surgery tomorrow I believe. So I can feel your pain (to some extent. As heart breaking as cancer is, I can't imagine how it would feel to have someone pass on). I wish you the best, Martin! :thumbsup:
Wow I hope she is recovering well. Fighting a battle like that is no small feat. Good luck to her and your family!

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #14154 on: June 17, 2012, 09:21:26 PM »
I'm glad that school is finally over for me as of Wednesday. :D

Also, unless you've been putting on a blindfold when seeing my posts, you should have noticed my new username. Points for creativity, amirite? :P
Nice username :P I hope you enjoy your summer break :) Any cool plans?

Folks, this is just a reminder that if you're posting a lot in the game room that you need to also post elsewhere in the forum as well.  The limit rule is still there, and a couple of you got close to it last night.  What in the world happened to have the "Which Would You Prefer?" game suddenly get 34 posts in 3 1/2 hours? :wacko:

I wasn't aware of a limit rule on posting in the game room. Sorry.
No worries. The rule was put in place when several users excessively commented only in the game forum. It took away from the other parts of the forum. If you go over once in a while its no big deal :) Just keep it in mind

Out of curiosity, anybody watching that guy walk across a tightrope over Niagara Falls tonight?

That was crazy!!

I wish I could go to the Phish concert today (roads are gridlocked) but I'm not sure if a $75 ticket is in my budget :unsure:
I'm always amazed at the price of concerts! I suppose its an awesome experience but the price is hard to justify sometimes!

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14155 on: June 18, 2012, 09:43:24 AM »
Just three more days until the summer solstice, and the halfway point of the Front Porch for 2012! :D
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14156 on: June 18, 2012, 01:04:23 PM »
Thank god. I'm starting to get sick of the sun not setting until 9:30/9:40 PM up here.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14157 on: June 18, 2012, 01:36:01 PM »
It happens every year, but every time the sun sets after 9pm, it always feels earlier than it actually is. Just like last night , I looked at the clock and noticed it said it was 9:03pm, but when I looked outside it looks like it's only 5:30 or 6 o clock. :blink: :wacko:

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14158 on: June 18, 2012, 02:33:52 PM »
Thank god. I'm starting to get sick of the sun not setting until 9:30/9:40 PM up here.

I'm the opposite.  I love the longer days of daylight, (maybe since I haven't been thrown off by light and time yet, IDK). :P

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #14159 on: June 18, 2012, 02:43:56 PM »
I agree. I would take longer days over shorter days. I hate when the sun sets at 4:22PM in the winter, it feels like the day is over at that point. But the sun doesn't set that late here during the summer. It only sets at 8:26PM and Nautical twilight lasts until 9:43PM, so the time the sun sets doesn't bother me. I'd love to have the sun set later like how you guys have it, heck, I would even like 24 hours of sunlight. I even enjoy how early the sun rises here, about 5:20AM. :yes:
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?