June 07, 2024, 12:30:23 AM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1789034 times)

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #13965 on: May 08, 2012, 10:17:48 PM »
Congratulations!
Thanks Eric. :) I wasn't prepared for the rigorous coursework awaiting for me during the first few weeks, but I had to tackle it if I wanted to be successful. I have learned a lot of interesting material in my classes, though. Lookin forward to organic chemistry and Calculus I though :P

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #13966 on: May 08, 2012, 11:02:14 PM »
It's a learning experience in more ways than one, but definitely worth it.

Being a linguist, those particular subjects were totally off my curriculum.  I was required to take four semesters of natural science, so I took two of biology in my freshman year and two semesters' worth of geology in my last semester as a senior.  I also studied humanities sciences extensively, as would be expected.

Surprising to everyone, especially to me, my math placement test scores were high enough that I automatically qualified for the math requirements and I didn't have to take a single one!  I still don't know how that happened, considering my 12th grade calculus teacher bribed me to leave the class and never return...  That was truly the happiest day of my life - knowing I'd never have to take another math class again!!   :dance:

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #13967 on: May 09, 2012, 07:31:52 AM »
There was a huge house fire right up the street from where I live this past Friday. I went outside to see if I could see the fire, but I couldn't see anything but thick smoke hazing up the sky. At first I thought it was a Brush fire which made me a little nervous. I didn't realize just how close the house fire was until I heard helicopters flying overhead and it was breaking news on one of our local news channels here. Luckily in that case no one was at home from what I heard.
Seem to be a lot of fires lately!
This is very strange. There's a lot of feedback off the radar in New Jersey and in NYC. I checked some observations in the area, there's nothing. I wonder what could be causing this.
Can't recall the description of the problem but I have seen this a couple times locally. If you notice the feedback matches the land area.
I've never taken a physics class before, or anything similar, but I think I finally understand the Barotropic Vorticity Equation. Took me about an hour of writing out on paper what all the terms mean and what they stand for. Yep, this is what I do in my free time. :noexpression: Nothing wrong with that right?  :dunno:
You can do some of my homework if you have that much free time :P
3.84 GPA this semester for me, like a boss :biggrin:
Congrats!!

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13968 on: May 09, 2012, 07:38:33 AM »
Well I have finished my first semester of 19 credit hours. Whew! It was a lot of work but I did well in most of my classes. I'm signed up for 24 hours next semester but I'm working on knocking a couple classes off that. :P
Thanks Eric. :) I wasn't prepared for the rigorous coursework awaiting for me during the first few weeks, but I had to tackle it if I wanted to be successful. I have learned a lot of interesting material in my classes, though. Lookin forward to organic chemistry and Calculus I though :P
Finding that balance between classes and fun is key! I know if I go out with friends to consume some "beverages", I have to make sure its not interfering with my courses. Unlike most people I don't qualify for any financial aid so I figure why do I want to waste my money on a course just to have to take it over again? College is way too expensive to waste money on.

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #13969 on: May 09, 2012, 08:07:23 AM »
Twenty four credit hours? Gee whiz, that seems very rigorous. I always thought 15 was the average, and even that can be tough because I'm expected to do a lot of school work during my free time.

What "beverages" do you like to drink, Martin? Dr. Pepper?  :P (This is sarcasm, by the way.)

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13970 on: May 09, 2012, 11:04:41 AM »
I was enrolled in nine credit hours this semester. I'm unsure whether or not i want to raise that to 12 for the fall so I can be considered a "full timer," but since I also work 12-15 hours a week at a place that has limited hours I probably shouldn't. I like my current schedule of going to class in the morning, working afternoons, and studying in the evenings.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 11:06:39 AM by Mike M »

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13971 on: May 09, 2012, 11:43:59 AM »
Well I have finished my first semester of 19 credit hours. Whew! It was a lot of work but I did well in most of my classes. I'm signed up for 24 hours next semester but I'm working on knocking a couple classes off that. :P
Finding that balance between classes and fun is key! I know if I go out with friends to consume some "beverages", I have to make sure its not interfering with my courses. Unlike most people I don't qualify for any financial aid so I figure why do I want to waste my money on a course just to have to take it over again? College is way too expensive to waste money on.
Exactly. Where you're on financial aid or not, you're going to college for an education. That's always the main reason. Especially in this economy and tight job market, getting a college degree is a must.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13972 on: May 09, 2012, 02:39:50 PM »
What "beverages" do you like to drink, Martin? Dr. Pepper?  :P (This is sarcasm, by the way.)

Mountain Dew of course :P

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13973 on: May 09, 2012, 03:12:39 PM »
Exactly. Where you're on financial aid or not, you're going to college for an education. That's always the main reason. Especially in this economy and tight job market, getting a college degree is a must.

And a good degree at that, because there are more and more degrees out there that just aren't going to pay off in the long run. Lord knows how many of my friends at UND are already knee-deep in student loan debt and are on track for a degree that...well, frankly, isn't going to get enough money into their pockets to pay that debt off.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #13974 on: May 09, 2012, 08:24:54 PM »
Break time here at Brookhaven National Labs for Skywarn training. Just need to borrow a pen from somebody to fill out the form. :hmm:

EDIT: No problem here. There was no test nor form to fill out. The only problem I currently have is that they have my name wrong, because I made a typo while doing the registration. I'll need to contact them about that.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 10:42:33 PM by GTAIVman »
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #13975 on: May 09, 2012, 10:39:27 PM »
Wow, best of luck Craig! Many of you guys are lucky.. down here at my area's NWS office (Ruskin/Tampa Bay, FL) you have to be 18 years or older to apply for SKYWARN.. :hammer:

Anyways, I have only had my new pair of glasses for about 3 weeks now, and the screw holding one of the arms came loose.. :wacko: I tried tightening it, but the screw wouldn't go in any lower.. I'm gonna have to wear my older glasses (the pair I got last April) until the frames are repaired. :hmm:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13976 on: May 10, 2012, 12:11:32 AM »
I just had a very unusual experience at Food Lion this evening.  While at one of the self-checkout machines that you scan the items and pay yourself, I noticed two coupons next to the machine that were sticking out from a small printer, which prints the coupons for you to take after making a purchase and using your MVP card.  The last customer to use that machine apparently forgot to take them.  One of the coupons was for $4 off your total bill if you spent $40 or more!  The other one was for $1 off any purchase of cookies or crackers in the store!  I know that you usually get coupons for things you'll never buy, but what the heck was that last customer thinking by leaving behind those particular coupons that anyone could use with no problem? :wacko:

The bottom line is that I literally saved $5 off my grocery bill as my purchase qualified for both coupons!  So, next time you're in a grocery store, make sure you take your coupons and at least look at them. ;)

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13977 on: May 10, 2012, 01:49:02 AM »
I just had a very unusual experience at Food Lion this evening.  While at one of the self-checkout machines that you scan the items and pay yourself, I noticed two coupons next to the machine that were sticking out from a small printer, which prints the coupons for you to take after making a purchase and using your MVP card.  The last customer to use that machine apparently forgot to take them.  One of the coupons was for $4 off your total bill if you spent $40 or more!  The other one was for $1 off any purchase of cookies or crackers in the store!  I know that you usually get coupons for things you'll never buy, but what the heck was that last customer thinking by leaving behind those particular coupons that anyone could use with no problem? :wacko:

The bottom line is that I literally saved $5 off my grocery bill as my purchase qualified for both coupons!  So, next time you're in a grocery store, make sure you take your coupons and at least look at them. ;)
More often than not I see coupons left in the coupon printer at self checkout, but most of them are for items I don't buy anyway :P

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #13978 on: May 10, 2012, 11:00:22 AM »
This question goes to anyone who is decently or well experienced with Photoshop. I was wondering if you can take a picture and erase text off of it and if so would it be easy to explain to me here or would it be a little complicated to explain? :dunno:

EDIT: That's alright I figured it out. In other news, we got a disturbance showing up on the GFS, it's so far out it'll be gone by tomorrow. In just two runs it went from paralleling the East Coast retrograding NW into Canada to a GOM storm hitting Central FL. (Pictures below; I drew the paths of where the GFS was sending the tropical disturbance also)

« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 04:28:01 PM by Weatherlover »

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #13979 on: May 10, 2012, 05:11:24 PM »
That's an interesting forecast... :blink: hopefully it comes true because Central Florida needs the rain for sure! :yes:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~