June 07, 2024, 03:20:16 AM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1789260 times)

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #13950 on: May 06, 2012, 02:20:33 PM »
There was a huge house fire right up the street from where I live this past Friday. I went outside to see if I could see the fire, but I couldn't see anything but thick smoke hazing up the sky. At first I thought it was a Brush fire which made me a little nervous. I didn't realize just how close the house fire was until I heard helicopters flying overhead and it was breaking news on one of our local news channels here. Luckily in that case no one was at home from what I heard.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13951 on: May 06, 2012, 08:20:05 PM »
Smallest. Severe Thunderstorm Watch. EVAR!

Tiddlywinks.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #13952 on: May 06, 2012, 08:24:19 PM »
Mac, be aware that you posted an image that could auto-update so if you want it to stay the way it is now I would suggest uploading it to imgur, tinypic, or any others :thumbsup:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13953 on: May 06, 2012, 08:36:02 PM »
Mac, be aware that you posted an image that could auto-update so if you want it to stay the way it is now I would suggest uploading it to imgur, tinypic, or any others :thumbsup:

Thanks for the note Zach, but this image will remain the same until the end of the world in December. :P
Tiddlywinks.

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #13954 on: May 06, 2012, 09:04:45 PM »
This is very strange. There's a lot of feedback off the radar in New Jersey and in NYC. I checked some observations in the area, there's nothing. I wonder what could be causing this.
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13955 on: May 07, 2012, 04:18:42 AM »
This is very strange. There's a lot of feedback off the radar in New Jersey and in NYC. I checked some observations in the area, there's nothing. I wonder what could be causing this.
It's just ground clutter due to all the low-level moisture.  You can always tell across the country where there's a lot of moisture and where there's not as the radar is sensitive to it.

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13956 on: May 07, 2012, 09:06:12 PM »
I've never taken a physics class before, or anything similar, but I think I finally understand the Barotropic Vorticity Equation. Took me about an hour of writing out on paper what all the terms mean and what they stand for. Yep, this is what I do in my free time. :noexpression: Nothing wrong with that right?  :dunno:
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13957 on: May 08, 2012, 02:14:18 AM »
I've never taken a physics class before, or anything similar, but I think I finally understand the Barotropic Vorticity Equation. Took me about an hour of writing out on paper what all the terms mean and what they stand for. Yep, this is what I do in my free time. :noexpression: Nothing wrong with that right?  :dunno:
Craig, I think you're trying to get ahead of yourself way too much. :P  I didn't learn that equation until junior year in college in a 400-level Meteorology course.  You need Calculus, Physics, and a basic understanding of the atmosphere to even understand that equation and all the assumptions built into it.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13958 on: May 08, 2012, 05:05:06 AM »
Believe me, that equation will not be taught to you in a regular or honors Physics course :no: I'm currently a student of Physics now and we haven't touched it, but it may be in an AP Physics course (not sure on that though)
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13959 on: May 08, 2012, 01:24:28 PM »
Believe me, that equation will not be taught to you in a regular or honors Physics course :no: I'm currently a student of Physics now and we haven't touched it, but it may be in an AP Physics course (not sure on that though)
Zach, there's no way that equation is covered in Physics whether it's AP or not.  It's a concept that can only be found in advanced Meteorology classes during college. ;)

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13960 on: May 08, 2012, 01:40:15 PM »
Zach, there's no way that equation is covered in Physics whether it's AP or not.  It's a concept that can only be found in advanced Meteorology classes during college. ;)

Yeah guys, trust me.  I am majoring in meteorology and haven't even been introduced to that equation yet.  I mean, I guess it's never a bad thing to get introduced to it too early, but that's being a little too ambitious if you ask me. :ermm:

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13961 on: May 08, 2012, 09:35:43 PM »
Ugh I hate power dips. :angry:
My Weather Station

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13962 on: May 08, 2012, 09:53:46 PM »
I finished my first year of college :D Really surprised how fast this school year went. Looking forward to sophomore year though ^)^

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13963 on: May 08, 2012, 09:58:40 PM »
Congratulations!

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008