June 06, 2024, 01:23:58 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1787886 times)

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #11970 on: June 12, 2010, 09:14:28 PM »
Well the problem is, I have dropped it too many times and have used it well beyond its capabilities far too much. When I was in the market for my desktop, and the same with my laptop, the one thing I didn't care about was the processor. I now regret that. From what I have seen, AMD Athlon processors are horrible.

I bought my laptop on my 16th birthday, so the HP 1 year warranty expired on Thursday. I knew I was smart in buying a 2 year warranty through Staples.
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #11971 on: June 12, 2010, 09:36:17 PM »
My desktop, which has an Athlon processor, works fine for the most part with my tuner, especially seeing how it's five years old and only a solo processor. When this one dies I'll probably look at one that's more suited for professional video use since I'd probably need one for my future plans.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
« Reply #11972 on: June 12, 2010, 09:41:51 PM »
My desktop, which has an Athlon processor, works fine for the most part with my tuner, especially seeing how it's five years old and only a solo processor. When this one dies I'll probably look at one that's more suited for professional video use since I'd probably need one for my future plans.
Well from what you've told me, you don't record TWC much at all anymore, and probably don't have your tuner open that often. You also have to realize how I am with my computers. I absolutely hate missing anything (meaning, songs I like when I'm in a new location, or an error). So thus, I'm not able to give my laptop too many breaks or much of one when I'm in a hotel. I like to multi-task with everything... computers included. Sometimes when I've got my tuner open, I'll have AIM open chatting, or I'll be using the internet while listening to a video, etc. You get the picture.
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #11973 on: June 12, 2010, 10:00:36 PM »
If you plan to buy a computer that's good for what you plan to do, be prepared to spend a LOT of money.

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #11974 on: June 13, 2010, 12:16:14 AM »
Worked on some HTML today and came up with this. :D

It seems when I overlay 7 layers onto an HTML file (more towards CSS), it locks the browser up for a sec (for me at least). :thinking:
Seven 3400x1600 images layered over top of each other in any browser causes a huge spike in memory usage to store it all. The spike in memory causes more CPU cycles to be used, thus the slower the browser will get until you close that tab.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #11975 on: June 13, 2010, 06:04:10 PM »
Not wearing contacts... I heard a lot of rumors of how they cause diseases, plus I can't stand putting something into my eye... it gives me that awkward feeling.

My friend told me he wore glasses that supposedly help improve your vision and it worked for him. I'll have to look at those.
That is completely false. Take them out and clean them and you will never have any problems. I have long term ones and can leave them in for weeks. Glasses that can improve your vision sound bogus to me. Laser surgery is the best way to go. I hope to have it done very soon. Ill be getting my eyes checked out for it in a few weeks. Only problem I have had with my eye occurred when a piece of debris got in my eye and I got a corneal ulcer( not contact related) . <- Most painful thing you will ever experience

phw115wvwx

« Reply #11976 on: June 13, 2010, 08:11:48 PM »
I've worn glasses since 7th grade as I never could put things in my eyes.  Just eye drops alone were a pain to me, so I'm happy with my choice.  Martin, I don't want to even know how bad a corneal ulcer can be. :no:

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #11977 on: June 14, 2010, 12:43:46 AM »
Sorry that I haven't been around a lot over the past few days guys. I have a had practice graduations, piano recitals and Harborfest (big local festival) thats been keeping me busy. Ill try to catch up on everything :)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 12:46:05 AM by Martin »

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #11978 on: June 14, 2010, 10:31:32 AM »
Sorry that I haven't been around a lot over the past few days guys. I have a had practice graduations, piano recitals and Harborfest (big local festival) thats been keeping me busy. Ill try to catch up on everything :)
How exciting!  When do you graduate?
-----
I am without a car for a while.  My transmission is basically shot, and my car is sitting at a random gas station 2 1/2 hours from my house.  My parents are headed up there today to get it with a dolly, and hopefully we can find out exactly what's wrong and (hopefully) get it fixed.

Aside from my car problems, I rode my first rollercoaster(s) this weekend at SixFlags.  WHAT A RUSH! I loved it!

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #11979 on: June 14, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »
My family should hopefully be getting the FiOS data plan sometime this week!! :thrilled: Can't get the TV yet until our 2-year contract with DirecTV expires (when we got our HD service). <_<
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #11980 on: June 14, 2010, 01:07:03 PM »
My family should hopefully be getting the FiOS data plan sometime this week!! :thrilled: Can't get the TV yet until our 2-year contract with DirecTV expires (when we got our HD service). <_<

Your parent's should be able to cancel the remainder of the contract? to get fios

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #11981 on: June 14, 2010, 01:18:07 PM »
School is officially over! :D

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11982 on: June 14, 2010, 01:45:28 PM »
School is officially over! :D

Took awhile...just kidding, you all start late and end late. :P

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #11983 on: June 14, 2010, 01:47:40 PM »
3 more days :)

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11984 on: June 14, 2010, 01:59:47 PM »

Your parent's should be able to cancel the remainder of the contract? to get fios
Not without them charging us. :club:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~