June 07, 2024, 04:18:24 AM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1789333 times)

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #10365 on: August 11, 2009, 09:03:02 PM »
I seriously don't get as to why people start school so freakin' early. :blink: Who would want to go to school in such hot weather? Most schools in the Southeast have school starting this week. In the Northeast, most people go to school in September. I can understand going to school in the end of August but in the first week while in "full summer mode" doesn't seem right. :no:

They haven't had the first day of school start in September since the 90's here when my sister was in school. They are ripping us off of a summer vacation because were technically getting out in Late Spring (May) and going back during the peak of summer (August) Don't they know how to look at a calander? :rolleyes: I rather be out from June to September, I wish they could realize that would be much better.
It makes no sense, September is better since it starts to cool down then.

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #10366 on: August 11, 2009, 09:15:11 PM »
I seriously don't get as to why people start school so freakin' early. :blink: Who would want to go to school in such hot weather? Most schools in the Southeast have school starting this week. In the Northeast, most people go to school in September. I can understand going to school in the end of August but in the first week while in "full summer mode" doesn't seem right. :no:

They haven't had the first day of school start in September since the 90's here when my sister was in school. They are ripping us off of a summer vacation because were technically getting out in Late Spring (May) and going back during the peak of summer (August) Don't they know how to look at a calander? :rolleyes: I rather be out from June to September, I wish they could realize that would be much better.
It makes no sense, September is better since it starts to cool down then.

IMO who gives a rip about the heat...the kids are inside >90% of their school day anyway >_>

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10367 on: August 11, 2009, 09:18:55 PM »
IMO who gives a rip about the heat...the kids are inside >90% of their school day anyway >_>

That's whats I think, Jonathan. :yes: Heat should really have nothing to do with when school starts. :no:

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10368 on: August 11, 2009, 09:21:47 PM »
yeah but the heat dyes down in Mid to late September not August.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #10369 on: August 11, 2009, 09:30:30 PM »

That's whats I think, Jonathan. :yes: Heat should really have nothing to do with when school starts. :no:

What about most of the students who have to walk home during the peak of the heat? I hate to keep bringing up the heatwave in August 2007 but it was hell having to walk home when it was 105° outside that whole first week I went back that year. Having a heavy backpack didn't make it any better. I couldn't take the bus or the train since it's halfway between my house and school that wouldn't make any sense. and nobody in my family drives anymore except my sister who's at work when I get out of school. Like Molly said it would better to go in September when it's cooler like in the 70's and low 80's.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
« Reply #10370 on: August 11, 2009, 10:04:46 PM »

What about most of the students who have to walk home during the peak of the heat? I hate to keep bringing up the heatwave in August 2007 but it was hell having to walk home when it was 105° outside that whole first week I went back that year. Having a heavy backpack didn't make it any better. I couldn't take the bus or the train since it's halfway between my house and school that wouldn't make any sense. and nobody in my family drives anymore except my sister who's at work when I get out of school. Like Molly said it would better to go in September when it's cooler like in the 70's and low 80's.

It's called water and cool clothes. >_>

PLUS most kids who walk do not live far away from the school...most are home 10 mins max...the wait sometimes if they are picked up by a parent.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 10:06:52 PM by Jonathan »

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #10371 on: August 11, 2009, 10:11:29 PM »

That still doesn't help me, I easily get more sick in hot weather than I do in cold weather, maybe you like feeling like your body is on fire during the summer, but I don'thaving serious migranes that feel like hangovers and being nauseated constantly. You smart attitude wasn't needed I'm not in the mood today. <_< :angry:

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
« Reply #10372 on: August 11, 2009, 10:50:51 PM »

That still doesn't help me, I easily get more sick in hot weather than I do in cold weather, maybe you like feeling like your body is on fire during the summer, but I don'thaving serious migranes that feel like hangovers and being nauseated constantly. You smart attitude wasn't needed I'm not in the mood today. <_< :angry:

Ever consider I get migraines too? I do...every month or so. And I am NOT getting into drama. And today, I am not in the mood for much anything at all, much less this. <_<

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10373 on: August 11, 2009, 10:52:52 PM »

I wouldn't go to school if it was THAT hot. In 2007, we had temps in the first week of Sept in the mid 90s and I get a very bad fever when I'm out in that much heat so I skipped 2 days of classes not risking myself. I can't imagine 105 degrees temps with high humidity though.  I went to Atlanta last summer and all I can say is WHOA...I felt like coming out of a sauna as soon as I left the airport. It sucks though that people have to start school so early though, it's not like 2009 was a great year anyways.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #10374 on: August 11, 2009, 11:16:40 PM »
If you think that your summer breaks are short, you should be in Japan where students are in school about 240 days out of the year.  The United States is only 180 days.  I saw a report on NBC news two days ago if anyone wonders where I got these numbers.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10375 on: August 11, 2009, 11:30:06 PM »
Correct. They go to school on weekends too AFAIK.

Offline hen7713

• Blue Box
  • I write code.
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 64
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24688
« Reply #10376 on: August 12, 2009, 01:17:03 AM »
Wow, what is up with the drama fests that have been happening the past couple days?

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
« Reply #10377 on: August 12, 2009, 01:55:08 AM »
Wow, what is up with the drama fests that have been happening the past couple days?
And by that, you are referring to?
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline hen7713

• Blue Box
  • I write code.
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 64
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24688
« Reply #10378 on: August 12, 2009, 01:59:43 AM »
I do not mean one particular person or anything, but I have noticed an increase in drama.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
« Reply #10379 on: August 12, 2009, 02:10:15 AM »
Oh, okay. A lot is going on, and TFP is the place to talk about events.
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond