May 04, 2024, 07:04:20 PM

Author Topic: General TWC Discussion  (Read 1896407 times)

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: General TWC Discussion
« Reply #9480 on: April 06, 2015, 01:49:15 PM »
The Wall Street Journal reports Monday that The Weather Channel’s corporate parent, Weather Co., faces a “deteriorating” financial outlook. “Moody’s Investors Service on Friday downgraded the company’s debt, saying it isn’t perceived by cable and satellite companies as a ‘must have’ channel, and could therefore be dropped by more providers or face cuts in carriage fees.”

This sure puts the "WC" in TWC, dosen't it?  :lol:  Although logic dictates that it should be the other way around.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 01:51:08 PM by Metarvo »

Offline mightynine

• View Profile
« Reply #9481 on: April 06, 2015, 06:53:45 PM »
When you have a quote like this in the WSJ article:

In an interview, Weather Co. Chief Executive David Kenny said the company has been aggressively diversifying into digital advertising and business-to-business services so it isn’t so reliant on TV. Those areas combined have already eclipsed TV revenue, he said.

“I feel really supported to finish this transition that we have started,” he said. “We are on a very different path to become a data and tech company.”

It's going to be less likely that The Weather Channel will change its ways and more likely the network as we know it is shut down or completely rebranded. The Weather Company will go where the money is, and whomever owns the network could completely re-shape its focus, like how TVGN (the former Prevue Guide/TV Guide Channel) recently rebranded to Pop!, completing its overhaul from a scrolling program guide channel.

The weather information is available through too many outlets, and local weathercasters now have the same tools TWC has, which was not the case years ago. New networks like WeatherNation and AccuWeather show that no one is beating down the door for all weather forecasts, all the time and with that, neither side is going to pour tons of money into it.

But the second a major outlet rides out the wave of complaints and walks away from The Weather Channel completely and the company isn't too broken up about it, the end is sooner rather than later.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #9482 on: April 07, 2015, 01:02:59 PM »
Anyone willing to guess that this was scripted?  :rolleyes:  :whistling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdRWGMyeSYY

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9483 on: April 07, 2015, 01:28:47 PM »

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #9484 on: April 08, 2015, 07:14:40 PM »
TWC is preempting long-form tonight from 8PM to midnight ET for severe weather coverage. My TV guide says "Severe Weather Outbreak" scheduled from 5PM to 9PM PT.
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline ruhgster

• First Name: Ryan
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: n/a
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #9485 on: April 08, 2015, 07:19:46 PM »
According to Greg Forbes' facebook page, they will be live until at least 2am ET.

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 214
« Reply #9486 on: April 08, 2015, 07:26:56 PM »
To think there was a time when this was normal (the 1 am WCL and Evening Edition West Coast before that).  If my team weren't playing tonight, then I might actually watch.  Oh well, at least I can catch a little after the game.

Offline alex979

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 40
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #9487 on: April 08, 2015, 07:59:11 PM »
According to Greg Forbes' facebook page, they will be live until at least 2am ET.

WUWA starts at 4am ET... At this rate they should just be on all night.

https://twitter.com/twcchriswarren/status/585936318338899968

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333
« Reply #9488 on: April 08, 2015, 08:15:09 PM »
http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/tv-jobs-the-weather-channel-msnbc/260164

TWC is looking for a new OCM to replace Kim Cunningham likely with lower pay.

Offline alex979

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 40
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #9489 on: April 08, 2015, 08:54:38 PM »
http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/tv-jobs-the-weather-channel-msnbc/260164

TWC is looking for a new OCM to replace Kim Cunningham likely with lower pay.

Wow, I thought they'd only be looking for freelancers. I'm surprised they're interested in new full-time OCM's since all of the studio shifts are full right now. Bettes is supposedly going to start anchoring evenings, so why would they need someone to replace Kim in that timeslot?

Offline TJTWX

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Bright House
  • HD Channel #: 1328
  • SD Channel #: 28
« Reply #9490 on: April 09, 2015, 02:04:45 PM »
Tom Nizol is in The Lab. Thought he only did winter weather? And I wonder how much longer he will be in there today. TWC will be on all day and looks to be on all night again.
News Music Fan, Weather Geek, and TWC Fan!
From the Pittsburgh area, in case you couldn't tell by my avatar.
Now living in Indiana, and loving it here!
Favorite station is WTAE Pittsburgh's Action News 4 in the Pgh area; tie between CBS4, FOX59, and WISH-TV here in Indy
Follow me on Twitter @TJTempleWX!

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #9491 on: April 09, 2015, 04:32:09 PM »
Tom Nizol is in The Lab. Thought he only did winter weather? And I wonder how much longer he will be in there today. TWC will be on all day and looks to be on all night again.

That's probably why he's there so others like Carl, Mike, and Jim won't be burnt out. I would imagine if they hadn't of canned Kim she would be helping out as well. I remember on a few occasions like the Super Tornado Outbreak of April 2011 for example where they brought in Bryan Norcross to work alongside with Dr. Greg Forbes. Usually, you wouldn't see Norcross outside of hurricane season.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline TJTWX

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Bright House
  • HD Channel #: 1328
  • SD Channel #: 28
« Reply #9492 on: April 09, 2015, 08:47:42 PM »

That's probably why he's there so others like Carl, Mike, and Jim won't be burnt out. I would imagine if they hadn't of canned Kim she would be helping out as well. I remember on a few occasions like the Super Tornado Outbreak of April 2011 for example where they brought in Bryan Norcross to work alongside with Dr. Greg Forbes. Usually, you wouldn't see Norcross outside of hurricane season.

And if my memory serves me right, I think Norcross helped Carl out with the Moore, OK tornado in 2013.
News Music Fan, Weather Geek, and TWC Fan!
From the Pittsburgh area, in case you couldn't tell by my avatar.
Now living in Indiana, and loving it here!
Favorite station is WTAE Pittsburgh's Action News 4 in the Pgh area; tie between CBS4, FOX59, and WISH-TV here in Indy
Follow me on Twitter @TJTempleWX!

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9493 on: April 09, 2015, 11:06:31 PM »

And if my memory serves me right, I think Norcross helped Carl out with the Moore, OK tornado in 2013.

Yes, he did. :)

TWC has done a good job tonight.  There were limited commercial/LOT8 interruptions.  Only weird part was when national information was being shown on the WATT bar.  It happened just for a little bit, then switched back to local information.

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #9494 on: April 10, 2015, 08:09:07 PM »
Nice Job TWC!! I was worried earlier today when I saw TWC was on a regular schedule. TWC is still live as of 7:08PM CDT. Anyone know how long tonight?