April 28, 2024, 05:57:25 AM

Author Topic: West Plains, MO (aka Podunkville) Weather  (Read 3268 times)

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
West Plains, MO (aka Podunkville) Weather
« on: June 08, 2009, 01:07:31 PM »
I guess I'll hop on the wagon. I'm going to write this in my own words as if I were going to say it on camera. So, I'll do a little forecast along with the conditions.

It's 78 and sunny right now, but don't expect that to last through the day. Moisture is coming in from the Gulf and there's a cold front hanging over the Ozarks this week. Because of that, we have plenty of lift to get those thunderstorms going. In fact, there's a slight risk for severe storms today, so watch out!

I'm a bad writer. <_<

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
Re: West Plains, MO (aka Podunkville) Weather
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 02:14:35 PM »
May 2009 data for West Plains...

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 12:18:37 PM »
Yesterday, a tornado touched down in Mountain View, one of the adjacent communities to Podunkville (errr, I mean, West Plains). The tornado was reported around 6:45 P.M. moving across Highway 17. Debris was reported with the tornado. The tornado's strength is unknown at this time.

In other news, record rainfall was reported last night. The storm that blew through Podu- I mean, West Plains, dropped a total of 1.77 inches of rain, smashing the old record of 1.31 inches set in 1950.

Now for today's forecast. It's 78° and sunny right now, but for the fourth day, don't expect that to last through the day. There's a slight chance for severe storms as a cold front moves back south (again). With this front and the warm weather we'll have today, there is high instability and there will likely be a few severe pop-up storms. The main threats for today are large hail and wind, but a tornado cannot be ruled out. Expect highs in the mid 80's and a 40% chance for pop-up storms. And for tonight: things will calm down with the sun's being low and cooling of the night, reducing fuel for storms. Expect lows in the mid 60's.

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 02:30:31 PM »
There's a potentially dangerous situation thunderstorm watch just to the south of West Plains. We have a possible developing derecho that could bring wind gusts upwards of 105 miles per hour. A tornado has been reported near Pea Ridge, Arkansas, doing damage.

For today, the front that won't say goodbye is back and effecting the Ozarks once more. Fair amounts of instability are available in extreme southern Missouri and northern Arkansas, providing a slight risk for severe weather for the Missouri Ozarks and a moderate risk for the Arkansas Ozarks. Expect thunderstorms for today with near steady temperatures around 80.

For tonight, expect it to be mostly cloudy with a 30% chance of storms. Lows will be around 65.

There's a surprise for tomorrow.

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 05:08:29 PM »
Okay, it's time for the surprise: For the first time since Monday, there is NO risk of severe weather!

The front that won't say goodbye has left the building, only for a while, though. Expect a few clouds today, but you'll be seeing blue in the sky all day for the first time this week. Your highs will be in the low to mid 80's.

For tonight, clouds will return as time goes on and the chance for thunderstorms does, too. There's a 20% chance of storms in the late hours.

Now for the week's forecast:
Sunday
Thunderstorms likely...60% chance. 81 / 67

Monday
Possible storms...50% chance. 81 / 67

Tuesday
Partly cloudy. 88 / 68

Wednesday
Mostly clear. 90 / 70

Thursday
A few clouds. 92 / 71

Friday
A few clouds. 91 / 69

Saturday
Mostly cloudy. 90 / 70

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 12:59:50 PM »
Wow! It's been a long time since I've been in here!

* Jonathan gets Pledge and old washcloth, cleans topic

Today, we have a risk of severe weather. Lightning, hail, and wind are the biggest threats. For other risks, just see the attatched image. :)

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 06:00:38 PM »
And I'm back! :D

Today has been quite mild compared to the past several days, with highs not even reaching freezing most days. This mild streak looks to continue through at least Thursday. I'm loving this.