April 27, 2024, 02:55:11 PM

Author Topic: The Weather Channel temps  (Read 1727 times)

RJARRRPCGP

The Weather Channel temps
« on: June 19, 2010, 04:34:28 PM »
Welp, I seem to get higher daytime high readings in downtown Springfield then the Weather Channel forecasted for Springfield, Vermont. O_O

This makes me suspect that The Weather Channel gets the temp reading from miles out of town! 

I often get the same current temp readings on my thermometer as Lebanon, New Hampshire on TWC.

But it seems common to get lower-high readings when I pull up "05156" on weather.com!

It's likely 86 F, across from the town hall, lol.

I would still expect the nights to cool down, because I'm not in a tropical climate
(usually at least in this formula= high -> - 21 F)  Thus, this would mean if 92 F in the afternoon, the low would be 71 F, if not cooler, which the following is more typical of Vermont: In this example: high: 92 F low: 59 F. -->IIRC, that's called the diurnal variation
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 06:05:15 PM by Martin »

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Welp, I seem to get higher daytime high readings in downtown Springfield then the Weather Channel forecasted for Springfield, Vermont. O_O

This makes me suspect that The Weather Channel gets the temp reading from miles out of town! 

I often get the same current temp readings on my thermometer as Lebanon, New Hampshire on TWC.

But it seems common to get lower-high readings when I pull up "05156" on weather.com!

It's likely 86 F, across from the town hall, lol.

I would still expect the nights to cool down, because I'm not in a tropical climate
(usually at least in this formula= high -> - 21 F)  Thus, this would mean if 92 F in the afternoon, the low would be 71 F, if not cooler, which the following is more typical of Vermont: In this example: high: 92 F low: 59 F. -->IIRC, that's called the diurnal variation
Temps are displayed via HiRad which estimates the temperature based on NWS obs points. Its not exact

RJARRRPCGP

Re: The Weather Channel temps
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 06:18:43 PM »
Sorry about the title. Just was like O_O.

Also, I noticed that my in my area, I often get static shocks! ;)

I sometimes get shocked just from getting out of a vehicle.

If you don't like static, you will not like Springfield, Vt!   :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 06:20:50 PM by RJARRRPCGP »

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar