June 04, 2024, 05:46:38 AM

Poll

Is cable TV going downhill these days?

Yes
75 (86.2%)
No
12 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Is cable TV going downhill?  (Read 84021 times)

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Is cable TV going downhill?
« Reply #90 on: July 01, 2011, 01:31:13 PM »
IMO, each generation likes their generation of TV.

Let's use the Disney Channel as an example. People who are teenagers now think that Disney Channel has gone downhill (myself included) because they added shows like 'Shake it Up' and 'Hannah Montana', because they grew up watching 'Phil of the Future' and 'Boy Meets World'. While the current generation of Disney viewers love these shows, and will probably end up hating the next generation of Disney shows.

That's just my worth.

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #91 on: July 01, 2011, 02:27:13 PM »
IMO, each generation likes their generation of TV.

Let's use the Disney Channel as an example. People who are teenagers now think that Disney Channel has gone downhill (myself included) because they added shows like 'Shake it Up' and 'Hannah Montana', because they grew up watching 'Phil of the Future' and 'Boy Meets World'. While the current generation of Disney viewers love these shows, and will probably end up hating the next generation of Disney shows.

That's just my worth.

Yeah, I remember the days when Disney actually showed Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck. I also grew up on Ducktales, Chip n' Dale, Darkwing Duck, Goof Troop, etc. They also aired cool sitcoms (albeit reruns) like Sister Sister and Smart Guy. Now all you see is Hannah Montana and Suite Life. :rolleyes: I don't watch that channel at all, partly because I'm older, and partly because most of the shows don't interest me much. The last Disney show I watched was That's So Raven, which they don't even show anymore, except on Saturday mornings on ABC.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 02:31:50 PM by TampaMillTWC88 »
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #92 on: July 01, 2011, 11:24:11 PM »
The last Disney show I watched was That's So Raven, which they don't even show anymore, except on Saturday mornings on ABC.

That's So Raven was a good show. That was about the only thing I used to watch on Disney Channel. Too bad they had to get rid of it. :(

I don't even know what they show on Disney Channel now (and really don't care)...

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #93 on: July 01, 2011, 11:42:06 PM »
Sadly, the Disney channel thing is true. My 5 year old niece LOVES that channel to death. There's not one show on there she doesn't watch and doesn't know word from word when she sees it and her craze for Hannah Montana was even worse. If there's any upside, I've noticed lately she watches Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon more and she's still a big Tom and Jerry fan like I was.  :)

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline texasstooge

• Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk!
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 37
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 037
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2011, 01:17:47 AM »
I loved the Disney Channel back then when they were showing some classic cartoons. It has been mutilated by today's teen/tween shows since then. Nickelodeon was heading the same direction.

I'm not complaining much about ABC Family's schedule, because they air "America's Funniest Home Videos" and "Whose Line Is It Anyway?". By the time they show their originals, I usually watch something else in Primetime.

Cartoon Network promised they'd stay on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days, forever and ever and ever and ever and ever...until the end of time. THEY LIED!!! Or was the introduction of the Adult Swim block the end of time? I'm guessing they're trying to get the parents to put the kids to bed. Not that I was complaining back then, because I found a few more favorites on that particular block.

TV Land has shifted to a more current-based programming on 50% of their schedule. 'Nuff said.

Animal Planet has shifted direction to attracted a much older audience 18 and older with some of their much suspenseful programming. While Animal Planet is still within their prime format, there's one show on their schedule I could do without, and that's "I Shouldn't Be Alive". It's a show about survival and does not talk about animals, let alone involve them. They should've kept it on Discovery Channel or at least move it to TLC. Next thing you know, they're gonna air "Cheaters" on there as well. (Not really, but "Cheaters" on Animal Planet? NO WAY!!! :thumbdown: )

I think the main reason for The Weather Channel, MTV, VH1, and CMT to go their current directions is because of the internet. But not everybody can afford the internet, let alone dial-up. Many have to use their local Public Library's internet system to do all that, but they have a limited window of 2 hours max...maybe a little more if nobody's waiting on/or reserved a computer (at least that's how my local library's system works).

Although truTV shows some programs that are reenactments to reality (like "Operation Repo" and a few others), the real reality shows on there I liked are "World's Dumbest" and "Disorder in the Court".

Bravo went from Arts & Performances to....the way MTV's going. I shouldn't say too much about it, because I have a friend who still likes Bravo even to this very day.

AMC was one of my favorite channels when they were airing classic movies and "The Three Stooges". Now they're airing movies, mostly from 2000 on-wards, original shows, and since last year, Paid Programming. It's just not the same!! Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is the only one holding true to its format, and I hope it stays that way.

Sci-Fi...now Syfy - Now I know they're trying to expand their horizons, but adding wrestling on there just ain't it. Not to mention some of the corniest current made-for-TV monster movies I've ever seen (via "The Soup").

I never really cared much for the C-SPANs, HSN, QVC, ShopNBC, Oxygen, The Golf Channel, and Lifetime.

All in all, cable TV has gone downhill for half the time, but sometimes, they may air a great TV show in my favor. There's also TV online if we want to go that direction. We also have cable companies like Time Warner Cable and Comcast going through with their digital migration processes. Once analog cable is wiped off completely, hotels that run TV service through cable TV may have no choice but to install digital cable converters in each room or switch back to using DBS (Direct Broadcast Satellite) as their source. We are often reminded by the said cable companies that there are more choices, but we have to pay out the wazoo for them.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 01:19:37 AM by texasstooge »

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2011, 09:26:21 AM »
I loved the Disney Channel back then when they were showing some classic cartoons. It has been mutilated by today's teen/tween shows since then. Nickelodeon was heading the same direction.

I'm not complaining much about ABC Family's schedule, because they air "America's Funniest Home Videos" and "Whose Line Is It Anyway?". By the time they show their originals, I usually watch something else in Primetime.

Cartoon Network promised they'd stay on 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days, forever and ever and ever and ever and ever...until the end of time. THEY LIED!!! Or was the introduction of the Adult Swim block the end of time? I'm guessing they're trying to get the parents to put the kids to bed. Not that I was complaining back then, because I found a few more favorites on that particular block.

TV Land has shifted to a more current-based programming on 50% of their schedule. 'Nuff said.

Animal Planet has shifted direction to attracted a much older audience 18 and older with some of their much suspenseful programming. While Animal Planet is still within their prime format, there's one show on their schedule I could do without, and that's "I Shouldn't Be Alive". It's a show about survival and does not talk about animals, let alone involve them. They should've kept it on Discovery Channel or at least move it to TLC. Next thing you know, they're gonna air "Cheaters" on there as well. (Not really, but "Cheaters" on Animal Planet? NO WAY!!! :thumbdown: )

I think the main reason for The Weather Channel, MTV, VH1, and CMT to go their current directions is because of the internet. But not everybody can afford the internet, let alone dial-up. Many have to use their local Public Library's internet system to do all that, but they have a limited window of 2 hours max...maybe a little more if nobody's waiting on/or reserved a computer (at least that's how my local library's system works).

Although truTV shows some programs that are reenactments to reality (like "Operation Repo" and a few others), the real reality shows on there I liked are "World's Dumbest" and "Disorder in the Court".

Bravo went from Arts & Performances to....the way MTV's going. I shouldn't say too much about it, because I have a friend who still likes Bravo even to this very day.

AMC was one of my favorite channels when they were airing classic movies and "The Three Stooges". Now they're airing movies, mostly from 2000 on-wards, original shows, and since last year, Paid Programming. It's just not the same!! Turner Classic Movies (TCM) is the only one holding true to its format, and I hope it stays that way.

Sci-Fi...now Syfy - Now I know they're trying to expand their horizons, but adding wrestling on there just ain't it. Not to mention some of the corniest current made-for-TV monster movies I've ever seen (via "The Soup").

I never really cared much for the C-SPANs, HSN, QVC, ShopNBC, Oxygen, The Golf Channel, and Lifetime.

All in all, cable TV has gone downhill for half the time, but sometimes, they may air a great TV show in my favor. There's also TV online if we want to go that direction. We also have cable companies like Time Warner Cable and Comcast going through with their digital migration processes. Once analog cable is wiped off completely, hotels that run TV service through cable TV may have no choice but to install digital cable converters in each room or switch back to using DBS (Direct Broadcast Satellite) as their source. We are often reminded by the said cable companies that there are more choices, but we have to pay out the wazoo for them.

That's occurring right now with Comcast down here. The TV in my grandma's room is the only one w/o a cable box so she has to get one to view the channels she had.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Jonathon

• Weatherscan Contributor
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2011, 04:16:37 PM »

I have to agree with you on that. :yes:

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2011, 01:15:30 PM »
truTV/CourtTV was one of my favorite channels! Then they got rid of all their law enforcement related shows and added in this reality crap. Even their weekday court coverage isn't the same as it used to be, showing less of raw court coverage and more talk. Forensic Files are the only good true court show left on that channel, and they only show that late at night. <_< Although Operation Repo and Bait Car is ok too.

Offline texasstooge

• Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk!
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2011, 03:18:01 PM »
truTV/CourtTV was one of my favorite channels! Then they got rid of all their law enforcement related shows and added in this reality crap. Even their weekday court coverage isn't the same as it used to be, showing less of raw court coverage and more talk. Forensic Files are the only good true court show left on that channel, and they only show that late at night. <_< Although Operation Repo and Bait Car is ok too.
I like "Bait Car" as well as "Forensic Files". But "World's Dumbest" is what kept me watching...until Time Willy-Nilly...I mean...Time Warner Cable took it off the analog lineup. At least truTV has their episodes online.

Offline texasstooge

• Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk!
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 05, 2011, 03:29:48 PM »
One other network I forgot to mention...GSN (Game Show Network)

While most of their programming is focused on game shows, one show that was just added to their lineup is "Drew Carey's Improv-A-Ganza". Not that I'm complaining, I always love a great improv show, but I think it should be on either ABC Family as a counterpart to "Whose Line Is It Anyway?" (my other favorite) or Comedy Central.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #100 on: July 05, 2011, 03:36:46 PM »
I wouldn't say Cable TV as a whole has gone downhill (I love Cablevision and their service), but the channels they carry? Yeah.

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 05, 2011, 08:12:37 PM »
I like "Bait Car" as well as "Forensic Files". But "World's Dumbest" is what kept me watching...until Time Willy-Nilly...I mean...Time Warner Cable took it off the analog lineup. At least truTV has their episodes online.
Comcast has it on basic in PA, but in NJ we need digital preferred or higher to get it. Makes no friggin sense, because Comcast is Comcast. :rolleyes:

Offline beanboy89

• Ultimate Member
  • Caulk the wagons and float!
    • View Profile
    • http://billy.mozfaq.org/
  • SD Channel #: 53
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22608
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #102 on: July 05, 2011, 10:17:39 PM »
Comcast has it on basic in PA, but in NJ we need digital preferred or higher to get it. Makes no friggin sense, because Comcast is Comcast. :rolleyes:
I've never understood that, either. I don't know why every Comcast system has different channel lineups and even totally different channels on neighboring systems.
My super-awesome website!
[00:45] <SpringRubberMB> I wear a condom everywhere I go!

Offline tpirfan28

• Ultimate Member
  • Site Designer Extraordinare!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2011, 11:17:20 AM »
I've never understood that, either. I don't know why every Comcast system has different channel lineups and even totally different channels on neighboring systems.
The second phase of "World of More" digital migration is channel unification....locals from 2-99, the rest grouped in appropriate 100s.  HD is 1XXX, where XXX is the SD number (see my TWC...SD could be channel 103, HD at 1103).

I think a lot of the "channels on different tiers" comes from all the purchases they've made over the years.  It wouldn't surprise me if when the channel unification happens, tier rearragement happens as well.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 11:18:53 AM by tpirfan28 »

Offline WeatherSTARIII

• TWC fan 1991-2005
  • Legacy STAR fan
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2011, 08:20:58 PM »
Most cable systems (even if it is owned by the same company) have differnent channel line-ups in each media market. For example, when I was visiting Panama City Beach, FL last summer, they have Comcast as their only local cable provider. Here in Peoria, we have it too which is also our area's only cable provider as well. While I was visiting PC Beach, I remembered that TWC was on channel 40 in their area, while here in Peoria, we have it on channel 2. So even though its the same network that is also being provided by the same cable company, the local channel line-ups differ in each market. I guess its the staff that works at whichever local cable headend that disides on their channel line-ups and programing packages.

What also bothers me is that some cable systems also disides on whichever channel they want to carry. It also bothers me if they carry the channel, they may not even carry the HD feed of the same network. I know the Comcast here in Peoria doesn't have TWC HD, yet they don't even have Weatherscan either! At least PC Beach has both TWC SD and Weatherscan (but I'm not sure if they even have TWC HD since I was only able to tune in to the SD analog cable channels).

Another thing that bothers me about cable here is that some systems even mismatch the local over-the-air broadcast channel numbers. For example, our NBC affiliate, WEEK has their over the air channel number on 25-1, while on our Comcast system, their channel number is 10 (for SD analog) and their digital HD channel is 906, which is a mismatched and confusing. What also bothers me about some over-the-air stations here is that the digital RF number mismatches with the virtual number. For example, our FOX affiliate, WYZZ has their OTA number on 28-1, but yet, it lists the virtual number (or PSIP) as 43-1 (which is based off from its former analog UHF over-the-air number). Yet it gets even more confusing, the same station here on the Peoria area Comcast has it on digital channel 910, while its analog SD channel number is 6. I hate it when cable companies mismatch the channel numbers for over-the-air stations! Yet, I also hate it when brodcast stations mismatches their phyiscal digital RF number with the virtual channel number too!

Either way, the Comcast in Peoria as well as ALL of our local OTA stations stinks! I which we can get the NYC and LA locals instead. I always hate the idea of local affiliated stations anyways. All of my locals would of been better off as independents.
Classic TWC, Weatherscan, legacy WeatherSTARs, and classic Prevue/TV Guide fan.

R.I.P. Weatherscan: 1999-2022