April 27, 2024, 11:31:27 AM

Author Topic: Weather Center cut back, will appear on weekends; New LOT8s squeezeback  (Read 28872 times)

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Found an interesting read in today's Pittsburgh Post Gazette. Here's a link to the article, and I've attached a clearer image of the new schedule.

http://communityvoices.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/arts-entertainment-living/tuned-in-journal/26881-weather-channel-evolves

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
I have an issue with this schedule... There seems to be a shift issue in the program they used t obuild this schedule. First Outlook doesn't air on Sundays. I'm also noticing weather classroom and sunrise weather on Friday, which should be Sunday. I think that was done in error. Also, it seems the image has changed since you posted this, as the image does not match what you posted:

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
I have an issue with this schedule... There seems to be a shift issue in the program they used t obuild this schedule. First Outlook doesn't air on Sundays. I'm also noticing weather classroom and sunrise weather on Friday, which should be Sunday. I think that was done in error. Also, it seems the image has changed since you posted this, as the image does not match what you posted:

...and I'm pretty sure 8 consecutive hours of Weather Center would not be shown on Sunday of all days, either. :no: (although, this does not appear in the schedule Jesse posted).

I'm not sure how much I can trust these schedules with the many errors. But I will say that I'm quite upset that Monday-Friday are going to become like the weekends with long-form shown more than live weather. :cry: Very upset. :angry:

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
So, that schedule might not be 100% correct, however we do know for sure Weather Center has been cut back M-F in favor of long form, which is disappointing IMO.

Offline Travis(:

• View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 214
 <_< Where's The Weather Cast When you Need it. :hammer: Unacceptable.  :thumbdown:

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
This is EXACTLY what I was looking forward to, and it is here. RIP 50% of Weather Center.

<_< Where's The Weather Cast When you Need it. :hammer: Unacceptable.  :thumbdown:

Not gonna happen. TWCast do not have any plans to come back. TWChannel continues to have better ratings.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
So, that schedule might not be 100% correct, however we do know for sure Weather Center has been cut back M-F in favor of long form, which is disappointing IMO.

We know how accurate TWCs schedules tend to be :P
http://twcmediakit.com/cable/schedule/schedule.html

Article seems legit though and about what I expect from TWC.

I like this quote
"[Viewers] are telling us that weather is more to them than just forecasting, but it's about how weather impacts their life," he said. "The customer has told us that engaging programming in primetime is actually something that they are interested in from The Weather Channel, but it has to be without giving up any of our commitment to live weather coverage."

First they say weather is important to people. Then they say people want long form but without loosing live weather coverage. 1. Thats impossible    2. I have yet to meet the person who says "hey lets sit down and watch this great program on The Weather Channel during primetime". 3. Who is the "customer"? Cable companies or the average joe sitting at home?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 12:15:07 PM by Martin »

Offline beanboy89

• Ultimate Member
  • Caulk the wagons and float!
    • View Profile
    • http://billy.mozfaq.org/
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 53
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22608
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
The squeezeback during long-form looks interesting. I guess they're unhappy with their previous two attempts (the original L-bar and the current "L"-bar?)
My super-awesome website!
[00:45] <SpringRubberMB> I wear a condom everywhere I go!

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
By the looks of the fonts and the radar image, that looks like a mock up for the squeezeback for the Istar2. I have a feeling the Istar's will be a little different. I'll see what I can find out.

Article seems legit though and about what I expect from TWC.
It's definitely legit. Even though it's presented in a blog-like format, the writer is Rob Owen, who is a TV/radio reporter for the Post Gazette. I've been reading his stuff for years (he initially reported on Paul Kocin's departure even before it was made official at TWCC) and has a good track record with inside/sneak peek information.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
I have no opinions about this, since it's not surprising.

The squeezeback during long-form looks interesting. I guess they're unhappy with their previous two attempts (the original L-bar and the current "L"-bar?)
I thought "squeezeback" was the technical term for the L-bar?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 06:29:20 AM by Mike M »

Offline ruhgster

• First Name: Ryan
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
Re: Weather Center cut back, will appear on weekends; New LOT8s squeezeback
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2011, 08:49:48 AM »

Keep in mind that at the bottom of the columns, it is for early the next morning.  For example the First Outlook at the bottom of the 'Sunday' column is actually early morning Monday.  The fact that the times on this schedule don't start at midnight make it confusing.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 09:00:53 AM by ruhgster »

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2011, 01:24:55 PM »
TWC's begins morning-themed programming at 4AM, so they should start it at that time.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2011, 02:01:06 PM »
So Jan 31st, i thought it was start next week because Extreme Weather Week "Deep Freeze" is coming.

And according to that schedule, Primetime Playlists of the future will feature more 1 min songs oh well :P
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 02:10:24 PM by gt1racer »

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2011, 06:42:56 PM »
By the looks of the fonts and the radar image, that looks like a mock up for the squeezeback for the Istar2. I have a feeling the Istar's will be a little different. I'll see what I can find out.

For some reason, the "squeezeback" looks like something that was used on TWC awhile ago. :thinking: I know it's a new concept, and the picture shows a mock-up, but the "design" just doesn't feel right to me. :no: Hopefully TWC will come up with something that mimics the IS2, maybe even like the "LDA" (proper term?) that is on the IS2 now.

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 11:05:54 PM »
lol I wish...

Not gonna happen. TWCast do not have any plans to come back. TWChannel continues to have better ratings.
I think he was being sarcastic...