April 27, 2024, 08:15:44 PM

Author Topic: The Weather Channel Breaks Records over Christmas Blizzard 2010  (Read 2336 times)

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
The Weather Channel Breaks Records over Christmas Blizzard 2010
« on: December 30, 2010, 01:55:56 AM »
Spark Notes version:
    -45 million viewers over holiday weekend (most viewers for any news network over the weekend)

-Over 117 million page views on weather.com

-Over 82 million page views on TWC mobile

-3.8 million page views on iPad app (largest day ever for page views on app)

Link to Article

Clearly, TWC is doing something right.

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
Re: The Weather Channel Breaks Records over Christmas Blizzard 2010
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2010, 10:18:47 AM »
Wow, I would have to say TWC is in the Top 3 news networks overall, even when there's no major storm.
To TWC, this is just another incentive to continue investing in higher, better quality graphics and technology to bring us the best experience and information.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 10:50:43 AM »
Not sure why this is a surprise or big deal.  :rolleyes:

At least in my area there was NO news coverage before the storm. No live updates. Nothing. Everyone was on Christmas break. In fact few networks even had live coverage. Of course TWC is going to win out . TWC gets a lot of views and the sky continues to remain blue.

Wow, I would have to say TWC is in the Top 3 news networks overall, even when there's no major storm.
To TWC, this is just another incentive to continue investing in higher, better quality graphics and technology to bring us the best experience and information.
Ummm top 3 news networks overall? You gotta be kidding me. No way TWC gets the viewers of FOX, CNN, or MSNBC at times without a storm. Perhaps if you add up all of their mobile assets you could make a case
« Last Edit: December 30, 2010, 10:54:10 AM by Martin »

weatherlover94

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2011, 09:15:23 PM »
The Weather Channel used to get a lot of viewers until movies,storm stories, ETC took over and they do more programing instead of weather now but i must say they have been doing better about cutting out the programing when bad weather is hitting now   :)

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 12:36:38 AM »
The Weather Channel used to get a lot of viewers until movies,storm stories, ETC took over and they do more programing instead of weather now but i must say they have been doing better about cutting out the programing when bad weather is hitting now   :)
You do realize that the reason they show movies, storm stories, etc is because they get MORE viewers (or just as many) as live programming. 

Offline Star4000 Fan

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • SD Channel #: 56
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 02:33:31 AM »
This was something I was glad to see.

weatherlover94

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 09:17:23 AM »
You do realize that the reason they show movies, storm stories, etc is because they get MORE viewers (or just as many) as live programming.
[/quote]

well im going to admit i am one of the programing viewers so i guess your right. They dont show full force nature or epic conditions much any more that is the programing that i liked but storm stories is ok to. What my point was there is remember when they showed march of the penguins and things like that and a tornado out break was occurring in the south? I think it was the same outbreak were that big tornado hit Yazoo city. They said that the movie was canceled and they was going to stay live but they didn't. they let the movie play all the way through with out any updates. Only the people on cable and directv knew if they were under a warning. They played the movie while severe weather killed. That turned a lot of people away from TWC for a while. Now they seem to care more about peoples safety and stay live instead of showing  programing.  :thumbsup: