May 12, 2024, 04:06:37 PM

Author Topic: New Graphics coming to TWC  (Read 269688 times)

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: New Graphics coming to TWC
« Reply #120 on: October 06, 2013, 02:21:39 PM »
So basically TWC HD will have the closest Metropolitan Area for a Headend?
I'm curious about this too based on that video. Martin do you know anything about this?

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #121 on: October 07, 2013, 08:59:09 AM »
They're REALLY starting to beat the drum on these changes on air already. (from what I saw a couple of minutes ago)

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline brandonmahaffey85

• Avid Weather Channel Watcher
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 441
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22826
  • WxScan Ch. #: 17
« Reply #122 on: October 07, 2013, 12:56:44 PM »
Yeah they are. I wish I was one of those fans that got to go to TWC Headquarters in Atlanta for the sneak peek of the changes. I'm still wondering how those people got to go see the changes.
Brandon Mahaffey

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #123 on: October 07, 2013, 09:51:15 PM »
If anyone was wondering, the name of the song playing in that video Martin posted is "I'm Alive" by Michael Franti.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #124 on: October 07, 2013, 11:46:49 PM »
So basically TWC HD will have the closest Metropolitan Area for a Headend?
I'm curious about this too based on that video. Martin do you know anything about this?
Don't know specifics on that but my guess is the top 10/20 headends get the personalized looks with a generic for others. I'm not really aware of a headend with many region specific IS2s so its not going to be too big of a deal

If anyone was wondering, the name of the song playing in that video Martin posted is "I'm Alive" by Michael Franti.
And the song sucks because youtube removed part of it due to copyrights lol

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #125 on: October 08, 2013, 07:29:41 AM »
i'm hoping my area gets the Boston Headend :D

Offline Patricius Maximus

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #126 on: October 08, 2013, 08:17:16 AM »
The icons look awful. They should go for a set that's more realistic-looking and diverse (something similar to the current IS2 icons  :hammer:). Also, what if you're 50 or 100 miles away from the nearest metropolitan area/skyline? For a great many people showing weather that's 50 or 100 miles away would be useless in terms of showing them the local weather. 50 or 100 miles makes a huge difference in many situations, such as thunderstorms, snowstorms, and strong cold fronts. TWC has decayed a lot but not enough to do something like that, so I'm assuming that there's a generic background for those outside the big cities.

Other than these two things, I have to say I like the general idea. I could nitpick some more but I'm sure this is just a concept and the final version will look somewhat different.

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #127 on: October 08, 2013, 11:00:52 AM »
Guys get the metropolitan idea out of your head. This is simply an Intellistar/Intellistar HD update. I'd say it would depend on what your ob site is.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 08, 2013, 11:18:30 AM »
i'm hoping my area gets the Boston Headend :D

As a former Bostonian myself, that would be nice.  That said, two questions arise.  First, if Comcast has been so reluctant and/or unable to install an IS2 up until now, what are the odds they're going to rush to get everything ready for TWC's relaunch next month?  Granted, at least it is a possibility...  Second, if the HD feed still won't have the IS2, will the IS (which Boston's Comcast does have) on the SD feed be receiving the same update?  I guess there's a third question... will this mysterious new "replacement" Star for the legacy units be ready in time for the relaunch, and will they be distributed to everyone at once?  Doubtful.

I was so happy when Comcast in Boston started carrying TWC's HD feed, but so disappointed that they never got around to installing the IS2, which meant I had to keep watching the SD feed and Weatherscan for the local weather.  When I moved to Daytona Beach, there was no HD feed or Weatherscan, but the HD feed was eventually added, with the IS2.  I still remember how excited I was at such a random thing that I discovered in the wee hours of the morning because I had insomnia and couldn't sleep!  :thrilled:

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 08, 2013, 11:21:47 AM »
The icons look awful. They should go for a set that's more realistic-looking and diverse (something similar to the current IS2 icons  :hammer:).

I agree.  They look like something out of "USA Today" or some new-fangled app for a tablet, not something worthy of being on television being displayed by very expensive computers.

Also, what if you're 50 or 100 miles away from the nearest metropolitan area/skyline? For a great many people showing weather that's 50 or 100 miles away would be useless in terms of showing them the local weather. 50 or 100 miles makes a huge difference in many situations, such as thunderstorms, snowstorms, and strong cold fronts. TWC has decayed a lot but not enough to do something like that, so I'm assuming that there's a generic background for those outside the big cities.

Until sometime in the mid 1990s, the Stars in my hometown in Massachusetts showed conditions in Boston.  It's a half-hour away by car and right on the coast, while my hometown was inland and often had different weather conditions than in Boston.  Eventually, the current conditions city got changed to Bedford, which is an immediate neighbor to my hometown.  Then I went away for a while, but when I returned to Massachusetts in late 2009, I discovered that the current conditions city had reverted back to Boston, but Bedford was brought back as a secondary city on the new IntelliStar LDL scroll.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 08, 2013, 11:23:16 AM »
Guys get the metropolitan idea out of your head. This is simply an Intellistar/Intellistar HD update. I'd say it would depend on what your ob site is.

But I want demand a background photo of Daytona Beach on my local forecast, and it has to must be one that I personally pre-approve, and it should needs to be a photo that I took and uploaded to TWC's website.  If not, I'm going to raise holy hell! :club: :hammer: :smoke2:

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #131 on: October 08, 2013, 11:43:53 AM »
Does anyone think that TWC will be testing these graphics during. Day Planner? Like they did with the 33% LDL. If they will be, could TWC be starting soon?

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #132 on: October 08, 2013, 11:59:31 AM »
Also,  will the weatherscans be changed?, and sorry if this was said earlier but will something come to Directv and DISH? I don't want to be left out!

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #133 on: October 08, 2013, 01:40:11 PM »
I also wonder if Weatherscan will also be getting a graphical overhaul and/or the new weather icons like the ones in the WATT video.  :thinking:
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 08, 2013, 02:07:20 PM »
Since Weatherscan seems to be the lowest of TWC's priorities now (just think how long it's been since it's had a major overhaul), I doubt anything will change, other than possibly the weather icons.