May 07, 2024, 01:34:08 AM

Author Topic: New Graphics coming to TWC  (Read 269203 times)

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: New Graphics coming to TWC
« Reply #105 on: October 05, 2013, 01:51:08 PM »
Is the standard feed's LOT8s going to look the same as the HD feed this time?

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #106 on: October 05, 2013, 02:53:14 PM »
Is the standard feed's LOT8s going to look the same as the HD feed this time?
I'd like to know too. Looks interesting though, certainly something to wait and see. I don't like how simplistic the radar looks though, it just looks bland and not as good as the radar on the Intellistar

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #107 on: October 05, 2013, 02:57:31 PM »
Since I have satellite and HD, I'll be sure to keep an eye out for any changes to the "satellite LFs" or anything else interesting.

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
« Reply #108 on: October 05, 2013, 03:49:13 PM »
I think if they keep the format as in the demo video we could be seeing a return of 2 minute local forecasts. In the video we get about halfway in the local on the 8s before it goes to commercial and that was about 1 minute and 12 seconds. Let's cross of fingers.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #109 on: October 05, 2013, 03:58:26 PM »
I think if they keep the format as in the demo video we could be seeing a return of 2 minute local forecasts. In the video we get about halfway in the local on the 8s before it goes to commercial and that was about 1 minute and 12 seconds. Let's cross of fingers.
Well it's just a beta, the rollout could look quite different than from the video seen. And what about those with the IS2? Would the IS2 still be used for HD feeds?

Offline GEAUXmedic

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
« Reply #110 on: October 05, 2013, 07:32:56 PM »
It really is beautiful, hopefully they have the same format for both HD and SD. Weather all the time is a great step in the right direction. I know most of us miss the weather-centric broadcasts of the past. The design is what I hoped for when they went HD. Its modern, simple, design but with all the weather info you need. And I love getting all the info you outside of the LOT8s. The sidebar is a mix of ESPN where they give you a rundown of topics/programming and Fox Sports 1 where they give you information pertaining to the current topic or in the case local weather. They couldn't have done better with this, now we just have to see how its implemented.

Also this has been online since Sept. 17th and it hasn't been found yet? lol.

Offline beanboy89

• Ultimate Member
  • Caulk the wagons and float!
    • View Profile
    • http://billy.mozfaq.org/
  • SD Channel #: 53
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22608
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #111 on: October 05, 2013, 08:50:01 PM »
Also, it looks like the new graphics were inspired by Windows 8.
I thought the exact same thing. It's very Metro/Modern-like. I like it. :|
My super-awesome website!
[00:45] <SpringRubberMB> I wear a condom everywhere I go!

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #112 on: October 05, 2013, 09:54:36 PM »
EDIT #2: Sorry, I thought about something else, is this going to replace the existing STARs (IS, XL, 4000)? :dunno:

I guess that depends on the cable companies involved.  Can they be forced to upgrade their equipment?  I doubt it.  Otherwise, it would probably have happened by now.  As has been said before, the WeatherStar III was discontinued only by FCC order, which meant there was no question about it.

That said, those stuck with legacy systems will probably be missing out on an awful lot, even more than they're missing now.  As it is now, they're stuck with the national LDL, and they only get to see their own local weather during local forecast segments (whether full-screen or a full screen over the squeezeback).

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 05, 2013, 09:57:56 PM »
I would hope TWC uses this "relaunch" to provide uniformity across all platforms.  Therefore, this look would be on both SD and HD channels and all "STARS" (if that's even what it's going to be anymore) look alike.

I think the 4000 and the Jr. are quite helpless in this regard.  Maybe even the XL can't do it.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 05, 2013, 09:59:26 PM »
I don't like how simplistic the radar looks though, it just looks bland and not as good as the radar on the Intellistar

As much as I disliked the XL (other than the obvious advance in graphics and information over the 4000), I have to say that the first version XL had the best-looking radar on any Star I've seen.  I just loved the texture.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: October 05, 2013, 10:05:45 PM »
I don't like how simplistic the radar looks though, it just looks bland and not as good as the radar on the Intellistar

As much as I disliked the XL (other than the obvious advance in graphics and information over the 4000), I have to say that the first version XL had the best-looking radar on any Star I've seen.  I just loved the texture.
For the record, aside from a different basemap in the v1 era (and using only 10 frames instead of 30), the XL's radar has pretty much remained unchanged throughout its lifetime.

And Victor, I really don't think the radar is going to look like that. Remember that this is completely a mockup, so things are bound to change.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #116 on: October 05, 2013, 10:23:59 PM »
There was word back in July that all of the existing legacy STAR units will soon be replaced with something new for the cable headends that still use the older STARs:

https://twctodayforums.com/forums/programming/new-graphics-coming-to-twc/msg184191/#msg184191
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 05, 2013, 11:41:49 PM »
There was word back in July that all of the existing legacy STAR units will soon be replaced with something new for the cable headends that still use the older STARs:

https://twctodayforums.com/forums/programming/new-graphics-coming-to-twc/msg184191/#msg184191

I had forgotten about that.  I wonder who will have to pay for this - the individual cable companies or TWC?  Will they be upgraded to the same technology as everyone else, or will there be another "budget model" that isn't quite as good?  And what will "not quite as good" be, exactly?  So many questions... :hmm:

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #118 on: October 06, 2013, 07:27:01 AM »
Was watching TWC this morn, and at 5:45AM CDT, Julie mentioned the new look. It was just people's opinions about it. They could have showed us something! Unless I missed something on TWC Yesterday or the day before. Be on the lookout while watching TWC!

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #119 on: October 06, 2013, 12:14:32 PM »
I'm a fan.  It's simple, and I like simple.  Anxious to see the finished product.