April 27, 2024, 02:11:21 PM

Author Topic: TWC - the big ZERO  (Read 853 times)

Offline Paplaz

• View Profile
TWC - the big ZERO
« on: December 13, 2008, 08:14:00 AM »
I've watched TWC for years, probably saw the first broadcast way back when. They usually have good coverage of the weather when I need it. I think there are too many "canned" programs today but I still use it for trip planning and such.

However, there is one set of graphics that drives me nuts! Every winter when they start to display the temperatures in terms of "20's, 30's" and so forth when the weather turns colder their maps start to show single digit areas above and below ZERO as "0's and -0's"!!! To me this is totally inaccurate and false. The proper display is to show "1's and -1's" for single digit temps? Ever try to punch in a negative zero in your calculator-ERROR! I guess some graphics weenie designed the display and not a math guru. He probably went down the scale of 30's, 20's, 10's and subtracting 1 from each 10 degree range and just ended up with "0" then really screwed up by showing a negative zero.

There is no such thing in nature. You can't have a negative zero. I emailed them several years in a row, even sent one to the National Weather Service but never got any replies, just another crank, I guess they thought. Anybody else notice this or is there some explanation for why they do this?