July 02, 2024, 11:16:23 AM

Author Topic: Has the L-bar been discontinued?  (Read 10506 times)

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: Has the L-bar been discontinued?
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2012, 07:32:25 PM »
TWC doesn't care anymore, IMO. They will continue to promote programming uninterrupted, unless a tropical system is nearing. The L-bar was a good idea to at least show radar and a forecast. All you have now is some dinky LDL.  :club: You absolutely cannot rely on TWC for severe weather coverage (or really any weather coverage) anymore.
That is so sad. :(
You should also note that the quote you just did was from August 2011 and things have definitely changed since then
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2012, 09:09:57 PM »
TWC doesn't care anymore, IMO. They will continue to promote programming uninterrupted, unless a tropical system is nearing. The L-bar was a good idea to at least show radar and a forecast. All you have now is some dinky LDL.  :club: You absolutely cannot rely on TWC for severe weather coverage (or really any weather coverage) anymore.
You should also note that the quote you just did was from August 2011 and things have definitely changed since then
Things certainly have changed since then.  :P
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2012, 09:36:00 PM »
I realize that was nearly 8 months ago. Have things really changed since then?
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2012, 09:53:43 PM »
Just watch and find out for yourself. Thats all i can say
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 12:34:11 AM »
The Weather Channel has changed so much since I started watching it that I honestly don't think I'll be pleased with any changes they make unless they return to the mission that they started with.  Since I doubt that's going to happen, I doubt I'm going to see the network the same way as I did in the past.

Remember when The Learning Channel actually focused on education?  Remember when Bravo actually focused on high culture?  Remember when The Weather Channel actually focused on weather?

Television is careening towards a homogeneous stew simply because advertisers want to stick with what people already know.  Reporting on the movement of a cold front across the North American continent isn't going to attract as many advertisers as showing people being pulled out of the ocean or helicoptered to a hospital from the tundra.

Yes, I think it's 100% sad that advertising basically dictates what appears on the television screen.  Even sadder is that there's precious little alternative.  Americans would start a new revolution if they had to pay a license fee like Britons do to support the BBC.  (Even thought the caliber of BBC programming is so much higher than almost all American programming.)

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 12:36:04 AM »
All I am going to say is that TWC did a FABULOUS job covering the severe weather/tornadoes in Texas today.  (I am biased because this is my hometown, so you better believe I was tuning it in to TWC to see if they were covering anything or not. :P)  Obviously, TWC doesn't show around-the-clock live weather coverage as much as they used to, but when the time comes, they will pre-empt accordingly.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2012, 07:34:04 AM »
I didn't watch it, but I know they only bothered to cover it because it was tornadoes affecting a large population area to cover their own butts, they wouldn't have given a crap if it had of been of string of them hitting a rural area.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2012, 11:14:24 AM »
Maybe a bit of exaggeration.  :P But TWC does a good job, from what I have seen, of covering severe weather when necessary. However, Tavores has a point. TWC has to be more consistent in their coverage. For instance, in the summertime down here, severe weather occurs on almost a daily basis. In terms of the overall quality, TWC has gotten worse, especially with the music and the programming.

The Weather Channel has changed so much since I started watching it that I honestly don't think I'll be pleased with any changes they make unless they return to the mission that they started with.  Since I doubt that's going to happen, I doubt I'm going to see the network the same way as I did in the past.

Remember when The Learning Channel actually focused on education?  Remember when Bravo actually focused on high culture?  Remember when The Weather Channel actually focused on weather?

Television is careening towards a homogeneous stew simply because advertisers want to stick with what people already know.  Reporting on the movement of a cold front across the North American continent isn't going to attract as many advertisers as showing people being pulled out of the ocean or helicoptered to a hospital from the tundra.

Yes, I think it's 100% sad that advertising basically dictates what appears on the television screen.  Even sadder is that there's precious little alternative.  Americans would start a new revolution if they had to pay a license fee like Britons do to support the BBC.  (Even thought the caliber of BBC programming is so much higher than almost all American programming.)

I agree with you. Disney, Nickelodeon, MTV, TWC, TLC, Vh1, and others have all abandoned their original formats for essentially a promotion of reality TV and/or whatever stuff is popular. TV programming is not the same as it was even 10 years ago.

Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2012, 07:22:41 PM »
I didn't watch it, but I know they only bothered to cover it because it was tornadoes affecting a large population area to cover their own butts, they wouldn't have given a crap if it had of been of string of them hitting a rural area.
Exactly. That's just what I was going to say.
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg