June 07, 2024, 02:23:42 AM

Author Topic: IS2 compatibility issues  (Read 3842 times)

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
IS2 compatibility issues
« on: January 27, 2011, 08:43:41 AM »
Even though it's not an official page, the Local on the 8s Facebook page made the following announcement yesterday:

Please note that the IntelliSTAR 2 is not rolling out onto Comcast/Xfinity headends due to compatibility issues.. I don't know much on the situation, so just be patient! A lot of smaller headends have the IS2 by now though..

It's disappointing that one of the largest cable companies in the U.S. is inaccessible for the IS2, meaning the largest share of viewers won't have access to it.  When will this change?  Unfortunately, Comcast isn't exactly known for its rapid response to anything.  My guess is it will be a long while before IS2 comes to Comcast, if ever.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
Re: IS2 compatibility issues
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 09:22:16 AM »
LOL THATS ZACHS PAGE!

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 10:00:51 AM »
Well, now I know!  :smoke2:

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 10:05:51 AM »
It's disappointing that one of the largest cable companies in the U.S. is inaccessible for the IS2, meaning the largest share of viewers won't have access to it.  When will this change?  Unfortunately, Comcast isn't exactly known for its rapid response to anything.  My guess is it will be a long while before IS2 comes to Comcast, if ever.

I agree it's disappointing for the Rollout to be as stagnant as it is now but the only reason i could come up with is Comcast is waiting for every available area to acquire the World Of More/Network Upgrade before acquiring the IS2 for the Regional Headends.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 10:24:28 AM »
Stupid, stupid Comcast... :furious:

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 10:36:56 AM »
Have any Verizon headends received the IS2 yet?

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 01:27:26 PM »
uh this was announced a long time ago

Looks like my area isn't getting the IS2 for awhile  :hmm:
We are working with Comcast to find a technical solution to some compatibility issues we have with their network.  Hoping to have it resolved sometime in the first half of 2011.  Nothing right away however.  Sorry.

Some other good news is Providence, RI Cox Added the IS2 today right when TWC HD launched 12/15/10 on their systems across RI
The IS2 isn't compatible with some newer headend upgrades. I suppose its ok to say that now that the above statement was made. Mostly it appears to only effect large head end
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 01:30:54 PM by Martin »

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 04:51:23 PM »
Yes, the local on the 8s FB page is run by me... if you look at the wall posts, you can see the impatience of one person who gets really frustrated of not having LOT8s in HD thats local... personally if i had cable and wanted local weather, Id watch the SD 'cast :wacko: :whistling:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline emuman100

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 01:04:38 AM »
The "compatibility issue" is not really that. You can use a standard DCII IRD with ethernet and ASI output and feed it into the IS2. The output is ASI which has to be feed into a groomer. Grooming is basically transcoding, because Crapshat loves to feed HD lite to it's customers instead of HD, so they groom the bitrate to reduce it, so they can fit 10000 channels onto an already limited and/or poorly design infastructure. I know with the original Intellistar, it came with a Motorola DSR-4520 Digicipher II IRD. It would output SDI (Similar to DVI, you could say) and multicast IP data via it's ethernet port. The output on the Intellistar would be SDI video with audio, composite video, with analog audio, local avail triggering, etc. The SDI output would connect to a groomer or MPEG2 encoder for feeding into another groomer or multiplexer, then onto the QAM plant. Basically, Crapshat are either idiots, or cheap, but I would have to agree with both.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 10:02:56 AM »
So, in other words, Comcast shaves so much bandwidth off that the IS2 isn't able to work with so little remaining bandwidth.

Comcast obviously isn't going to stop reducing bandwidth, so either the IS2 will need a workaround, like you mentioned, or Comcast just won't be able to use it at its headends, and Comcast's HD viewers had better get used to just the national local forecast.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 10:44:46 AM »
So, in other words, Comcast shaves so much bandwidth off that the IS2 isn't able to work with so little remaining bandwidth.

Comcast would have to remove HD Channels with less viewership in IS2 Qualified areas like Massachusetts and The Boston Area did

7 HD Premiums for example

HBO Comedy HD - 774

Action Max HD - 777

5 Star Max HD - 778

ThrillerMAX HD - 779

WMAX HD - 780

OuterMax HD - 782

Sho Showcase HD - 879

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 07:41:31 PM »

Comcast would have to remove HD Channels with less viewership in IS2 Qualified areas like Massachusetts and The Boston Area did

7 HD Premiums for example

HBO Comedy HD - 774

Action Max HD - 777

5 Star Max HD - 778

ThrillerMAX HD - 779

WMAX HD - 780

OuterMax HD - 782

Sho Showcase HD - 879
They wouldn't have to remove anything if they just kept upgrading their network. They wont ever get rid of premium channels. They make some decent bucks from those.

Offline emuman100

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 01:07:34 AM »
I might have worded it wrong and confused people, I tend to do that, sorry. :P The bandwidth they use to carry TWCHD is what they'll use for the TWCHD with IS2. The IS2 is said to output ASI and eventually IP. When fed into the groomer, you need to know the PIDs of all the streams, which TWC should be able to help them with, to properly route the proper streams to be groomed. I bet no one at Crapshat knows how to make it work.