May 03, 2024, 12:02:50 PM

Author Topic: Has the L-bar been discontinued?  (Read 10350 times)

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Has the L-bar been discontinued?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2011, 06:53:20 PM »
Haven't seen the L-bar in over a week so maybe it has been discontinued    :dunno:

It looks like TWC is changing the way it presents weather information during longform programming.  As it stands now, longform has no weather information, except on the 8s, when the LDL is used.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2011, 07:04:38 PM »
So, is the transparent TWC logo and LDL-only LOT8s effective on ALL long-form shows now? :unsure: I remember that in the past, this was only being tested on selected shows, such as Peter Lik.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2011, 07:19:45 PM »
So, is the transparent TWC logo and LDL-only LOT8s effective on ALL long-form shows now? :unsure: I remember that in the past, this was only being tested on selected shows, such as Peter Lik.

I have no idea whether TWC has made a final decision on this, but it seems to be the direction they're going in.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2011, 07:22:08 PM »
Honestly, I think it's a fluke.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline texasstooge

• Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk!
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 37
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 037
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2011, 10:59:32 PM »
Haven't seen the L-bar in over a week so maybe it has been discontinued    :dunno:

I'm afraid so.

Offline TWCC_DJK5555

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21805
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 09:55:52 PM »

I'm afraid so.

Me too. 

I didn't mind any of the long form programming as long as I'd get an L-bar (and a radar, especially when severe weather is approaching as it was this afternoon) every ten minutes.

Let's face it... when you have severe weather approaching your area, a local radar every 30 minutes just doesn't cut it.   :no:
Men of war make peace

Men of peace make war

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2011, 10:44:01 PM »
TWC doesn't care anymore, IMO. They will continue to promote programming uninterrupted, unless a tropical system is nearing. The L-bar was a good idea to at least show radar and a forecast. All you have now is some dinky LDL.  :club: You absolutely cannot rely on TWC for severe weather coverage (or really any weather coverage) anymore.
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline TWCC_DJK5555

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2011, 03:53:47 PM »
They will continue to promote programming uninterrupted, unless a tropical system is nearing.

That's another thing.  A few years ago, a minimal TS (I forget which one) was moving parallel to the east coast.  A few of the outer bands were reaching land, but the eyewall never even came close.  TWC went wall-to-wall with it, and I didn't see a LF for at least 4 hours.  And yes, there was severe weather in my area that day.   :angry:

For me, my best bet is WGN's 24/7 news sister station CLTV.  They normally do "Weather on the 1s."  In times of severe weather, they usually have a small radar image running constantly in the lower left hand corner of the screen, even when they're airing their long form programming.
Men of war make peace

Men of peace make war

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2011, 06:23:59 PM »
It looks like TWC is changing the way it presents weather information during longform programming.  As it stands now, longform has no weather information, except on the 8s, when the LDL is used.
Yeah, like the LDL is quite useful for me... they don't even show it long enough for it to go through all the cities (just halfway through the second one). :rolleyes:

Offline Subarub4

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • HD Channel #: 762
  • SD Channel #: 62
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 11:35:22 PM »
I saw the L bar here tonight it's been awhile since I watched TWC but I find it takes up too much room.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 05:57:19 AM »
I saw the L bar here tonight it's been awhile since I watched TWC but I find it takes up too much room.

The HD feed has so much wasted space with the L-bar, but it's in good proportion, I think, on the SD feed.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 10:20:08 PM »

The HD feed has so much wasted space with the L-bar, but it's in good proportion, I think, on the SD feed.
The squeezeback on the HD feed is the exact same system that runs the one on the SD, however if you think about how HDTV was before 4:3 letterbox SD became more of a standard (Fox News, CNN, ESPN, etc), there was extra space to the left and right of the channel on their HD feed, respectively..
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 11:18:02 PM »

The squeezeback on the HD feed is the exact same system that runs the one on the SD, however if you think about how HDTV was before 4:3 letterbox SD became more of a standard (Fox News, CNN, ESPN, etc), there was extra space to the left and right of the channel on their HD feed, respectively..

Exactly.  Compared with Europe, so much of digital television in the U.S. is just the SD picture with extra space, where nothing much happens, on the left and right of the screen.  I think it's going to be that way for some time until HD really replaced SD sets in most people's homes.  Just look at color TV in the U.S.: it was nearly a decade and a half before color programs became the norm and not just "specials" aired between regular black and white programming.

Certainly, the HD Intellistar could be programmed to make better use of all that extra space on the L-bar.  But it probably won't happen for a while.

Offline TWCC_DJK5555

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2012, 04:22:06 PM »
It's irritating.  Apparently shows like "Ice Pilots" are too important to interrupt with an L-bar forecast every ten minutes.   :rolleyes:
Men of war make peace

Men of peace make war

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 06:53:17 PM »
TWC doesn't care anymore, IMO. They will continue to promote programming uninterrupted, unless a tropical system is nearing. The L-bar was a good idea to at least show radar and a forecast. All you have now is some dinky LDL.  :club: You absolutely cannot rely on TWC for severe weather coverage (or really any weather coverage) anymore.
That is so sad. :(
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg