April 27, 2024, 07:07:25 AM

Author Topic: 4000/XL/Jr. - The End Is Near  (Read 40563 times)

Offline HulkieD

• NOAAs a guy who NOAAs a guy
    • View Profile
    • A Better Forecast
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27098
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
4000/XL/Jr. - The End Is Near
« on: May 08, 2014, 12:15:01 AM »
I got this from a friend who works at a cable affiliate.  I trust him, and know the information is accurate.

The Weather Channel will be ending its analogue feed on May 31st.  Why is this important?  Because the Legacy STARs - the 4000, the XL, and the WeatherStar Jr. - rely on that feed. 

That means that come May 31st, all units prior to the Intellistar 1 will cease to function.

TWC knows this and is providing new units to ALL providers still using legacy STARs.  If your 4000/XL/Jr. just got replaced by an Intellistar 2 SD unit, that's what they're rolling out.

Expect that rollout to start increasing dramatically.  TWC wants everyone on the new Intellistar units by May 16th.

Basically?

If you still have a 4000, an XL, or a Junior, START TAPING NOW.  You literally have days left!

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
Re: 4000/XL/Jr. - The End Is Near
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 12:17:53 AM »
They had a good run... a quarter of a century of a good run... but the time has come for something better.  Life's like that sometimes.  :)

I'm still nostalgic when I see old videos from The Weather Channel on YouTube.  I miss those days, but I also don't want my cable company to install a WeatherStar 4000 tomorrow, either.  That would be the source of much unhappiness.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 01:04:59 AM »
The WeatherSTAR4000 has always been my all time favorite STAR and always will be. My only regret is I won't be as lucky to have the experience as some of you here who were able to find and witness working units during modern times in person.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 01:21:32 AM »
I myself have been lucky enough to see two 4000s and three XLs in person over the years, but not one Junior sadly.  :(  A bit sad the legacy STARs are going bye-bye, but all good things in life must eventually come to an end.  :itsok:
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 10:36:41 AM »
Seems a little hard to believe. I mean, they're going to replace ALL legacy STARs in less than a month!? And who's paying for the upgrades? I doubt TWC has the money to do so, and I know that many cable companies don't have the money to upgrade. And where's the press release? :thinking:
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 01:47:36 PM »
Seems a little hard to believe. I mean, they're going to replace ALL legacy STARs in less than a month!? And who's paying for the upgrades? I doubt TWC has the money to do so, and I know that many cable companies don't have the money to upgrade. And where's the press release? :thinking:
I can confirm I've independently verified this through a TWC employee.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 03:20:43 PM »
You can confirm what? That it's true or not true? If it's true, who's paying for it and is there a press release? Seems like pretty big news.
TWC Classics Webmaster

Offline mightynine

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 07:00:20 PM »
You can confirm what? That it's true or not true? If it's true, who's paying for it and is there a press release? Seems like pretty big news.

I don't know why you would expect a press release on this.  It's an internal matter between TWC and it's customers with units about to be officially retired.  The general public has no idea what an analogue feed is.

As for your other question on who's paying for it - how many of these legacy units are still kicking?  It has to be a low number, and perhaps TWC is just sending them a replacement unit or offering very attractive terms to get the legacys replaced.

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 12:39:31 AM »
That it is true. No press release, as the general public doesn't know nor really would care. There isn't a significant number of legacy units still floating around out there. I'm not sure who exactly is footing the bill. I'll try and find out.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2014, 12:51:39 AM »
No press release, as the general public doesn't know nor really would care.
I could have sworn there was a press release when the 3000 was decommissioned. I can't think of any other way we found out about it. I remember Charles did a 30 Days of the WeatherSTAR 3000 in December 2004 on TWCC.
TWC Classics Webmaster

Offline HulkieD

• NOAAs a guy who NOAAs a guy
    • View Profile
    • A Better Forecast
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27098
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2014, 12:58:52 AM »
TWC is providing the equipment to the legacy providers at no cost.

While this seems like it's insanity, as Tyler said the amount of legacy STARs still out there is not very large.  Plus, you have to think of the long run here - while TWC might be taking a short term hit, they'll save money by not having to provide an analog feed and not having to support technology that's essentially two to three decades old.

I think the same thing is happening with the sudden spurt in the amount of Intellistar 2 units.  TWC obviously caved and decided getting it out there was more important than charging a high price.  Plus some cable systems will just replace the SD IS1 feed with a downconverted HD IS2 feed.  Not having to run two separate units for local forecasts = money saved.

I don't think every legacy provider will upgrade by the deadline.  Some might just be comfortable with the national feed, and they'll switch to that on their SD TWC feed. 

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2014, 10:52:50 AM »
I don't think every legacy provider will upgrade by the deadline.  Some might just be comfortable with the national feed, and they'll switch to that on their SD TWC feed.

Once upon a time, every cable company that offered TWC was required to install a WeatherStar.  I wonder if that's still the case, though I can't see why such a requirement would be taken away, even considering TWC's massive growth in non-weather programming to attract "a wider audience."

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2014, 10:22:40 PM »
Don't forget there is a lot of really old legacy equipment that has to be maintained on TWCs end to keep data flowing to the older systems. To be honest it's an amazing technological feat that systems 10-20 years old are still functioning.

Offline Star4000 Fan

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • SD Channel #: 56
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2014, 03:16:01 AM »
I have been fortunate to see the 3000, the Jr., the 4000, and most of the Intellistars.

Knowing that the 4000 was based on an SGI derivative and SGI went bankrupt in 2006, it proves that they had a good product and could keep it going.

With those who still discussed the 4000, it was noted that it was having more trouble keeping up with the changes in TWC's formatting of the local forecast in general.  With this latest "kindergartener icon/Windows8" garbage playing now, there was a marked increase in the troubles the legacy stars were having if there were any left out there.  It's expensive to even find some of the ways to fix them anymore.  It's easier to hand out a newer system and go.

We still have the Simulator, and even that has been running into external site issues!

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2014, 09:35:16 AM »
Knowing that the 4000 was based on an SGI derivative and SGI went bankrupt in 2006, it proves that they had a good product and could keep it going.
I think you may have meant the XL there, since the XL was essentially an SGI o2 model inside a different enclosure.

I was so happy to see a STAR 4000 five years ago in Virginia. Here's a video to relive that memory as well.

Chincoteague, VA WeatherSTAR 4000 (NOT FAKE!!!!!) #1- LM Flavour

Also, I'm probably the only person here that has never seen a STAR XL in person ever :(
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~