April 28, 2024, 02:28:34 AM

Author Topic: Hurricane Central 2011  (Read 34413 times)

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Hurricane Central 2011
« on: May 14, 2011, 11:58:10 PM »
May 15th marks the start of the Eastern Pacific hurricane season.  Although I'm not expecting any tropical development for a few more days, I figured this would be a good time to open up the official Hurricane Central 2011 thread.  Here are the storm names for the 2011 Atlantic and Eastern Pacific hurricane seasons:

Atlantic
Arlene, Bret, Cindy, Don, Emily, Franklin, Gert, Harvey, Irene, Jose, Katia, Lee, Maria, Nate, Ophelia, Philippe, Rina, Sean, Tammy, Vince, Whitney

Eastern Pacific
Adrian, Beatriz, Calvin, Dora, Eugene, Fernanda, Greg, Hilary, Irwin, Jova, Kenneth, Lidia, Max, Norma, Otis, Pilar, Ramon, Selma, Todd, Veronica, Wiley, Xina, York, Zelda
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:08:56 AM by phw115wvwx »
Tiddlywinks.

phw115wvwx

Re: Hurricane Central 2011
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 12:31:33 AM »
Thanks, Mac!  I edited your post so that the names don't take up as much space.  Welcome to Hurricane Central 2011!  Use this thread for all general tropical discussions and questions.  As a slight change for this year, please keep posts about invests in this thread as well.  Once a system becomes at least a subtropical or a tropical depression, then you may create a separate topic to track the storm.  Even after the storm is gone, you're free to ask questions or discuss about it until the season is over.  Enjoy! B)

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 02:05:35 PM »
Note that Don, Katia, Rina, Sean, and Whitney are all new names for this season as replacements for the hurricanes of the devastating 2005 hurricane season.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 07:02:21 PM »
Note that Don, Katia, Rina, Sean, and Whitney are all new names for this season as replacements for the hurricanes of the devastating 2005 hurricane season.

Oh, that's right - the 2005 list is getting recycled (although barely!) this year.  I almost forgot!

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 10:27:38 PM »

OK wow, a couple of these names are way too similar to the devastating storm names they are replacing. :blink:

Katia / Katrina

Rina / Rita

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2011, 04:44:09 PM »
A new storm cluster is currently being investigated in the Pacific Basin, and given a 20% chance of development into a tropical system. The Atlantic is also stirring, with another cluster with a 20% chance of development.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 09:48:59 AM »
There is now a moderate chance of tropical development of an area of low pressure today as a storm system makes its way southwestward towards Florida today. The NHC has given this storm system a 30% chance of development.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 01:38:02 PM »
Invest 93L is moving through right now .. strong line of storms passed by ~1 hour ago
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 03:40:13 AM »
I'll be moving to Daytona Beach next month... and I certainly hope this isn't a foreshadowing of things to come!  No hurricanes, please... :cry3:

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 01:12:07 PM »
I'll be moving to Daytona Beach next month... and I certainly hope this isn't a foreshadowing of things to come!  No hurricanes, please... :cry3:
Well at least with hurricanes you have time to get out. Just don't be hesitant to leave.

Offline Star4000 Fan

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • SD Channel #: 56
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 06:25:53 PM »
I was kind of surprised to see low pressure centers coming off the Africa coast.  They fall apart pretty quickly, but there had to have been two areas that had a circulation.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 04:28:44 AM »
I thought this NHC statement for the recap of May in the Eastern Pacific was rather interesting given the factoid in the last sentence:

FOR THE EASTERN NORTH PACIFIC...EAST OF 140 DEGREES WEST LONGITUDE..

NO TROPICAL CYCLONES WERE OBSERVED IN THE EASTERN NORTH PACIFIC
BASIN DURING THE MONTH OF MAY.  ON AVERAGE...ABOUT ONE TROPICAL
STORM FORMS EVERY OTHER YEAR DURING MAY.  HOWEVER...THIS IS ONLY THE
SECOND TIME SINCE THE YEAR 2000 THAT A TROPICAL STORM HAS NOT
FORMED DURING THE MONTH.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 11:52:13 AM »
Oh, wow. Well, two systems are being looked at, one in each basin. Invest 94L shows some pretty good potential for development over the next 48 hours. NHC gives it a 30% chance at the moment as it remains stationary.

The second system, in the Pacific, also remains stationary and has a 20% chance of development.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2011, 06:17:29 PM »
They always forecast an above average hurricane season unless there's an El Nino.
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2011, 07:03:53 PM »
They always forecast an above average hurricane season unless there's an El Nino.

In 2010s case, there was an above average season, but no storms really made landfall.. however that isnt always true.. 2009 had a below average season, and it had a La Niņa summer, which did transfer over into an El Niņo winter. :yes:

I also have a post on my new weatherblog about this hurricane season http://zach.dyndns-work.com:53205/weatherblog/?p=6
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:01:16 PM by Zach »
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~