June 06, 2024, 10:24:55 PM

Author Topic: Record Flooding In North Dakota  (Read 3743 times)

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Record Flooding In North Dakota
« on: March 26, 2009, 10:53:10 PM »
As we've all probably heard, while the folks in the south are bracing for severe weather, the folks in North Dakota are preparing for record setting flooding. The Red River in Fargo is expected to reach as much as 43' in depth before all is said and done, which shatters the old record of 40.1 feet set in 1897.

Share your thoughts, insights, etc.

Offline tuez13

• Radio DJ, Graphic Designer & NWS Certified Storm Spotter & Tracker
  • 2 fried chickens & a Coke...
    • View Profile
    • South Meadows PWS
  • Cable Provider: Midcontinent Comm.
  • HD WxStar ID #: 028785
  • SD Channel #: 3
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22928
Re: Record Flooding In North Dakota
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2009, 01:57:25 AM »
We're preparing for the worst-case scenario but many areas around Fargo and Grand Forks are fighting for their livelihood.  Hundreds of thousands of acres of farmland are underwater, not to mention the towns near the Red River and its tributaries.  A positive in all of this, at least in part, is that some gauges downstream are showing slight decreases.  However, another potentially dangerous storm has its aim on the northern plains which could bring another round of heavy precipitation and further affect the already-swollen rivers and creeks.  Many areas have set all-time record flood levels, and it looks as though many other recording sites will soon break all-time record high levels as well.  The Red Cross is helping areas across ND & MN, so I am certain that if anyone is willing to help, that would be the best way.  I'll do what I can to keep everyone updated in the midst of the tri-state crisis since I am in the middle of everything.  You can keep your eyes on the water, too, here:
Fargo
Grand Forks

Wishing you the best,
Mark

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 08:44:41 AM »
I am so sorry to hear about this, and I can only offer my condolences and support to those people who are working to put sandbags up in hopes of blocking the floodwaters, and to those who are losing everything. I have never been through a flood, but I do know what it is like to lose everything and again, I wish them only the best of luck. Fortunately, we all knew this was coming and they could begin preparing early.  :yes:
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 04:50:48 PM »
I wish the best for all the people in that scenario.

Offline tuez13

• View Profile
    • South Meadows PWS
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 09:47:39 PM »
Today's Update:
We all appreciate the thoughts and prayers from everyone.  Today, I spent some time helping with sandbags for people throughout the county.  In the time I was there, approximately 200 people were working on filling, sealing and stacking sandbags.  This has been the constant for the past four + days and it may not be enough.  Everyone is doing what they can to stay optimistic with the conditions, even if they may be relatively grim.  The Red River at Fargo is above all-time record levels and the River Forecast Center in Chanhassen, MN and the NWS here in Grand Forks are hoping for the best...but admit that they are not completely certain how the river will act since it is in territory that has never been seen since the beginning of weather record keeping.  More to come soon...

phw115wvwx

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2009, 10:25:48 AM »
My thoughts and prayers also go to everyone in North Dakota, especially as I'm looking at the forecast models and seeing more rain heading there for Monday. :no:  Please stay safe, Mark!

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2009, 11:41:56 AM »
My thoughts and prayers go out to those in North Dakota as well, the live footage of the flooding I have seen is very breath taking and horrific. I guess one good bright side that I heard this morning was that the flooding was being slowed down from the sub-freezing temperatures. I hope everyone is staying safe out there.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

phw115wvwx

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 12:36:38 PM »
The precipitation has arrived in North Dakota now.  Thankfully, it's in the form of snow, which won't add to the river levels as much as rain would.  I'm happy to see that the river levels are now falling throughout the state although major flooding is still ongoing.  I've provided a link from the NWS of the hydrograph for the Red River in Fargo, ND to let all of you see the record crest of 40.82' and the river level forecast:  http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=fgf&gage=fgon8&view=1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1

Offline tuez13

• View Profile
    • South Meadows PWS
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 01:38:56 PM »
Definitely, it's a plus.  Certain areas around the Red River are expecting a foot or two of snow, which will eventually make it to the Red.  There is talk of a second crest due to all of this rain/snow that is making its entry today through Wednesday.

Here's the latest state radar to track the storm.  (Image Courtesy Accu-Weather, Inc.)

Here are the latest road conditions throughout ND, showing the road closures due to winter conditions and overland flooding.  (Image Courtesy North Dakota Department of Transportation). 

Offline TWCDude

• Trammell Starks fan
  • We're taking action for you.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2009, 08:12:01 PM »
Wow. I feel sorry for the people of Fargo. :( This is as worse as what happened at New Orleans.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." -Adam Savage of Mythbusters.

"Silence, I keel you!" -Achmed the Dead Terrorist

phw115wvwx

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 08:24:16 PM »
The good news is that the river levels are still falling despite the snow.  The Red River in Fargo, ND is now below 38' and will continue to drop.  Things will slowly get better there. :yes:

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2009, 11:48:57 PM »
The good news is that the river levels are still falling despite the snow.  The Red River in Fargo, ND is now below 38' and will continue to drop.  Things will slowly get better there. :yes:
Always good news.  :dance: I wish them only the best of luck in recovery  :yes:
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline tuez13

• View Profile
    • South Meadows PWS
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2009, 08:49:16 PM »
Yeah, Fargo is in the clear right now.  The river has dropped a few feet and is continuing its trek northward.  Here in Grand Forks, we are preparing for the flood crest sometime this weekend around 51' compared to the record 54' in 1997.  Points north of here will have a more difficult time with the flood water since the elevation is lower, but have been preparing for this for a few weeks now and believe that they are ready for the surplus of water. 

Something to watch, however, is the potential for a second Red River crest coming in a week or two due to all of the rain and snow the region has received over the past week.  Keep your eyes peeled for more flooding information...we're not out of the woods yet!

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2009, 10:33:02 PM »
A second crest of the Red River will be coming next week as river levels are forecasted to rise again starting this weekend as it warms up in North Dakota.  The melting of the existing snow will generate new runoff to trigger this second surge of water.  I hope everyone in eastern North Dakota is ready as it appears that conditions will get worse before it finally gets better.

Offline tuez13

• View Profile
    • South Meadows PWS
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2009, 12:03:11 PM »
We're watching and waiting.  Originally, the upcoming crest was forecast to be higher than the first which made people quite nervous but the NWS has lowered its crest prediction by around a foot so it will be around the same height as the crest a week and a half ago.  That news gave many people a shot of confidence...definitely a plus!