April 27, 2024, 06:40:53 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1769887 times)

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #14865 on: June 23, 2013, 11:04:47 PM »
I'm back from my break with family.  Hope all of you are well during the first days of this summer. :wave:

After speaking with Tavores, the winner of Round 2 at Hartford, CT (KBDL), I have the Round 3 city ready for our forecasting contest:  Peoria, IL (KPIA).  We can start it next week in hopes that it will accommodate more participation this time.
What's the forecasting contest for?

Just for fun. :)  If you've ever wanted to test your forecasting skills or try it for fun, then we encourage you to participate!  You can get all the details and read the rules here.

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #14866 on: June 24, 2013, 05:55:13 PM »
I got two of my wisdom teeth removed this morning (the top left and bottom left.) The numbness in my left cheek and gums has gone away, and I can now feel all of the pain in the impacted area. In addition, any remaining sedation seems to have worn off, as I haven't fell asleep at all this afternoon. Hopefully the pain won't last too long, and gum tissue starts to restore the empty socket within the next couple days. I'm taking some pain medication periodically to help alleviate some of the pain. I cannot drink anything through a straw as that could cause the blood clots where my two wisdom teeth were to fall out, causing a dry socket. Also, I'm on a diet of soft foods for the next day or two. For dinner today I had some applesauce, yogurt, and Jello.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14867 on: June 24, 2013, 07:35:49 PM »
I got two of my wisdom teeth removed this morning (the top left and bottom left.) The numbness in my left cheek and gums has gone away, and I can now feel all of the pain in the impacted area. In addition, any remaining sedation seems to have worn off, as I haven't fell asleep at all this afternoon. Hopefully the pain won't last too long, and gum tissue starts to restore the empty socket within the next couple days. I'm taking some pain medication periodically to help alleviate some of the pain. I cannot drink anything through a straw as that could cause the blood clots where my two wisdom teeth were to fall out, causing a dry socket. Also, I'm on a diet of soft foods for the next day or two. For dinner today I had some applesauce, yogurt, and Jello.

Going through it last month getting two pulled myself, the first 3 days are rough on your appetite and the soreness in your mouth. By Day 4, I was feeling back to normal. :) I stopped taking all my medications all together. I stopped taking the pain killers after Day 2 and I only took 2 nausea pills within the first 24 hours because I was nauseous. It'll be 2 months (July 3rd) since my procedure and my gums have completely healed over.

Funny thing that happened when I got the first one pulled out, I was awake during the entire procedure so when the first one came out (top right end) it actually flew right out of my mouth. :lol:

I hope your recovery from the surgery happens as quickly (or quicker) as it did for me. :yes:

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #14868 on: June 24, 2013, 08:06:50 PM »
What a difference a year makes!

June 2012: no job and 360 pounds BMI Index: 59.9

June 2013: employed and 229 pounds BMI Index: 38.1
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 12:41:41 PM by gt1racerlHDl »

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14869 on: June 25, 2013, 04:57:32 PM »
Alex, just a single moment can make the difference in life.  You had to tell yourself at your worst moment that you were going to change things and follow through with it, so whatever led you to your decision ought to be treasured in your memories if you face any adversity ahead.  I've had my own share as well, and I imagine all of us have at some point.  Good luck with reaching your healthy weight goal!

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #14870 on: June 26, 2013, 01:32:55 AM »
Here's a weather advisory that you don't see every day  :blink:

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ANCHORAGE AK
755 PM AKDT TUE JUN 25 2013

AKZ181-261400-
/X.EXT.PAFC.AF.Y.0001.000000T0000Z-130626T1400Z/
ALASKA PENINSULA-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...COLD BAY...SAND POINT
755 PM AKDT TUE JUN 25 2013

...ASHFALL ADVISORY NOW IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM AKDT WEDNESDAY FOR
SOUTHWEST OF PAVLOF VOLCANO...

* LOCATION...SOUTHWEST OF PAVLOF VOLCANO INCLUDING THE COMMUNITY
  OF KING COVE.

* ASHFALL...LIGHT ASHFALL.

* TIMING...THROUGH TONIGHT.

* IMPACTS...PERSONS WITH RESPIRATORY PROBLEMS MAY HAVE
  DIFFICULTY BREATHING WHEN OUTSIDE. ELECTRONIC DEVICES MAY BE
  DAMAGED IF NOT PROTECTED.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

AN ASHFALL ADVISORY MEANS THAT ASH WILL BE DEPOSITED IN THE
ADVISORY AREA. PROTECT ELECTRONICS AND COVER AIR INTAKES AND OPEN
WATER SUPPLIES. MINIMIZE DRIVING. LISTEN TO YOUR RADIO STATION
FOR FURTHER INFORMATION.

&&

$$
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14871 on: June 27, 2013, 05:07:23 PM »
As Bill Maher would say it on his HBO show:

New Rule - you are no longer allowed to complain about how hot it is in your town when Death Valley is forecast to see temperatures like this.  :blink:

Tiddlywinks.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #14872 on: June 27, 2013, 06:00:13 PM »
When the overnight lows are in the triple digits I think all hope is lost! ;)

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14873 on: June 27, 2013, 07:32:56 PM »
That place would be within 5°F of a world record if this forecast holds.  This same place holds the current record for the hottest temperature ever recorded that was accurately measured, which is 134°F.  Ironically, the 100-year anniversary is coming up for that feat, because it happened on July 10, 1913.

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
« Reply #14874 on: June 27, 2013, 10:42:44 PM »
I feel like I'm burning just looking at that.  :blink:

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14875 on: June 29, 2013, 02:15:44 PM »
The high at that site was 122°F for yesterday, and the low this morning was 96°F.  I'm not sure if it will get all the way to 129°F or if we will see a low of at least 100°F, but the meteorological community will certainly be watching during the next few days.

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #14876 on: June 29, 2013, 03:31:28 PM »
Makes me wonder, does anyone know what the highest min-temp ever recorded on Earth is?
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14877 on: June 29, 2013, 03:47:31 PM »
Makes me wonder, does anyone know what the highest min-temp ever recorded on Earth is?

Ask and you shall receive. :P  The answer is 107°F for the warmest low ever recorded.  Two locations share the record:  July 12, 2012 at Death Valley, CA and June 27, 2012 at the Khasab Airport in Oman.  Here's a Weather Underground article with more information.  It's eerie to me that this record has occurred twice just last year.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/article.html?entrynum=2153

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • WxStar Version: Junior
« Reply #14878 on: June 30, 2013, 03:56:00 PM »
Well. I have no clue where to post this... so I'll post this here. When I try connecting to the website, I get this lovely message. When I "continue at my own risk", the home page loads but something malicious has been downloaded, says Chrome as well as Windows Defender. Anyone else get this...?

Here's the diagnostic report thing from Google: http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=http%3A%2F%2Ftwctodayforums.com%2F&client=googlechrome&hl=en-US

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14879 on: June 30, 2013, 04:03:19 PM »
Well. I have no clue where to post this... so I'll post this here. When I try connecting to the website, I get this lovely message. When I "continue at my own risk", the home page loads but something malicious has been downloaded, says Chrome as well as Windows Defender. Anyone else get this...?

Here's the diagnostic report thing from Google: http://safebrowsing.clients.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=http%3A%2F%2Ftwctodayforums.com%2F&client=googlechrome&hl=en-US

This is a known issue and is already being discussed.  Please see this topic:

https://twctodayforums.com/forums/questions-comments-suggestions/harmful-website-warning-4849/

;)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 04:05:10 PM by WeatherWitness »