April 26, 2024, 10:36:31 AM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1768381 times)

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #14025 on: May 20, 2012, 12:04:44 PM »
I agree with all of you guys lol. Is it possible to like science but hate math? :unsure:

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14026 on: May 20, 2012, 12:07:06 PM »
I agree with all of you guys lol. Is it possible to like science but hate math? :unsure:
At an elementary level, maybe.. Because math is a main driver in how science works and how science data is collected. :yes:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14027 on: May 20, 2012, 01:53:53 PM »
Teachers play a huge role in determining your interests.  I enjoyed good English teachers and learned new material throughout my high school years, so I'm able to write pretty well.  Unfortunately, my Literature classes featured extremely vague test questions and boring stories to the point that I almost lost all interest in reading.  You can tell that I had passionate Math and Science teachers, because they further fueled my interests in becoming a scientist and making Meteorology my career. B)

Offline xoddf2

• TWC Fan 2004­­­–2009
    • View Profile
    • wlair.us.to
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 798
  • SD Channel #: 22
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23811
« Reply #14028 on: May 20, 2012, 02:11:07 PM »
I am not that good at maths either, which I believe to be a Bad Thing™, as it is important to my main interest.

I am much better at English spelling and grammar, to the point that I type correctly even in IRC and instant messaging. I am a terrible writer, though, as I am shy and inarticulate. I also often have trouble explaining things.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14029 on: May 20, 2012, 04:00:26 PM »

Is it possible to like math but hate science? :P  Because I somehow feel opposite.  Despite the fact I'm majoring in Meteorology, I am more comfortable in Calculus than Physics.  But (I know we can't let this account for everything), teachers/professors really play a big role.  I somehow have a curse on me to never have a good Physics teacher in my lifetime; thus, whereas I aced Chemistry in the fall semester, I got a B in Physics this semester and throughout the AP courses I took in high school.

I also love to write and consider myself a very good writer, but cannot understand reading comprehension to save my life. :ermm:

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14030 on: May 20, 2012, 06:01:32 PM »
I also love to write and consider myself a very good writer, but cannot understand reading comprehension to save my life. :ermm:
Me too lol

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14031 on: May 20, 2012, 06:05:12 PM »
Reading comprehension is my all time weakness. Audio or visual, I can never sit myself down and read a passage and expect to remember anything when I answer questions about it. :no: Must be my ADHD-ness or something :P
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 06:07:54 PM by Mike M »

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14032 on: May 20, 2012, 08:39:25 PM »
Reading comprehension is my all time weakness. Audio or visual, I can never sit myself down and read a passage and expect to remember anything when I answer questions about it. :no: Must be my ADHD-ness or something :P
I have poor memory at times. It's hard for me to explain things in the form comprehension. When writing an essay, it's not a problem but during standardized testing it is. All the SAT and ACT reading questions seemed French to me. Fortunately, most of us in college don't have to worry about it anymore. :no:

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #14033 on: May 21, 2012, 11:06:46 AM »
I did not enjoy math until Calculus I.  I was HORRIBLE at algebra, which made me nervous for Calculus.  My trigonometry skills were okay, but became great when integrating it with Calculus.

For those wanting to go into meteorology and are not going for it or thinking about not going it because of the math, GO FOR IT!  Just take each class step by step and you'll do great!  B)

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #14034 on: May 21, 2012, 02:50:30 PM »
I did not enjoy math until Calculus I.  I was HORRIBLE at algebra, which made me nervous for Calculus.  My trigonometry skills were okay, but became great when integrating it with Calculus.

For those wanting to go into meteorology and are not going for it or thinking about not going it because of the math, GO FOR IT!  Just take each class step by step and you'll do great!  B)
I guess that would be great advice for me since I also want to become a meteorologist when I'm older . I'm currently taking Algebra 2/Trigonometry. I'm pretty good at it. My average should be around in the upper 80's. Hopefully the same thing that happened to you happens to me when I go to take Calculus. I've worried at little bit sometimes when I struggle in math because then I believe that it's too challenging for me for what I want to become when I'm older. I'm trying to pay attention more in math and it has been working out.  :happy:
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #14035 on: May 21, 2012, 04:13:36 PM »
I agree with what Patrick has stated above. A teacher really can make you like or hate a subject. I've done average and didn't really care for Math until this year. My current teacher, everyone harasses and doesn't respect, but I do. The reason? This teacher has made me love math and want to go to that class each day. I've never been this way, ever.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14036 on: May 21, 2012, 04:47:28 PM »
My advice to aspiring Meteorology majors here:  Math only seems too overwhelming if you let it.  Once you take all your Calculus courses, you will be stunned at how much it can be used to explain the weather.  It will all make sense once you apply it with Physics to understand the atmosphere.  Until you get to that point in your studies when everything finally clicks in your head, you will just have to work hard and trust me here with this point.

Offline Robert

• Everyday I'm Shufflin'
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 974
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • WxStar Version: XL
« Reply #14037 on: May 21, 2012, 07:53:04 PM »
Math use to be very difficult for me. Once letters came into the picture, it went down hill for me. But after a couple years of struggling, it finally hit me and now I'm addicted to it lol. I love calculus, algebra, and geometry and how they work  :D lol  :P Trig was pretty interesting as well.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14038 on: May 23, 2012, 12:45:52 AM »
Stupid Story of the Week

We had some strong thunderstorms tonight rolling through Grand Forks, and about 15 miles before they moved into town, our entire floor decided to go out and play rugby. That's when we had multiple reports of CG lightning strikes around town flooding into the NWS office just down the road. It got so bad the University Police were called to attempt to bring everyone off the rugby fields and back indoors. So far no one has returned.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #14039 on: May 23, 2012, 07:26:10 PM »
Stupid Story of the Week

We had some strong thunderstorms tonight rolling through Grand Forks, and about 15 miles before they moved into town, our entire floor decided to go out and play rugby. That's when we had multiple reports of CG lightning strikes around town flooding into the NWS office just down the road. It got so bad the University Police were called to attempt to bring everyone off the rugby fields and back indoors. So far no one has returned.

I smell a win here