April 26, 2024, 08:13:00 AM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1768286 times)

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #13500 on: August 09, 2011, 09:30:28 AM »
Well, I'm seriously considering if all political topics should just be avoided.  You and several others gave a lot of political opinions here over the past weeks, and I fear that it caused the fiery storm of attacks.  I want this forum to be a peaceful, happy, and positive place that all of us can enjoy without fear of being critiqued in what you believe.
[/quote]

Sorry for being really late here, but I'll have to agree. This is not the place for politics. I've even seen in some threads that people get split up by religion. Now yes, I am very religious, but this is not the place to be discussing that. This is a TWC forum.

Sorry if I am kind of ranting here, but I am also annoyed by the The Debt Ceiling Deadline thread. Even though it is in the General Discussion, it is a pretty active forum for something to be not related to TWC.

MoopieLips

« Reply #13501 on: August 09, 2011, 10:07:50 AM »
When it comes to politics or any controversial topic, you just have to remember that there is another person with their thoughts and feelings behind the screen. You have the right to believe and think any way you want, and so does the other person. As already mentioned, respect is the important factor that needs to be continually enforced when talking about any controversial topic.

I don't think political topics should be avoided, just as long as the moderators and administrators do their jobs to keep the peace and the other members are respectful of other people's opinions. We can have intelligent conversations without them getting ballistic if we keep those in mind.  :) I just wanted to share my two cents because I was bored. I am Christina, by the way. I just wanted to check in once during my hiatus. I hope to be a regular poster and positive influence here once I adjust to a new school year and better conditions around home. See you guys again soon.

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #13502 on: August 09, 2011, 10:48:37 AM »
But why vent political views in a WEATHER forum? Come on, guys. If you want to talk politics, take it somewhere else, please. All I want to do is have a nice discussion about TWC, weather, pretty much anything that isn't controversial.

btw, Zach, this was the answer to your question you asked me on twitter. xD
If we just talked about weather here, site traffic would dramatically decrease. For example, this thread is the single most discussed thread on the forum, and it has nothing to do with TWC. Very few online communities are 100% specific to one subject.

Bottom line is I think we need to start handing out more warnings when they are needed. I don't believe we (myself included) hand out enough warnings for people who start arguments and attack other members. With that said, I also believe many people here take things to heart way too much, and are very immature. You can't take everything everyone says to you online seriously. If that's how you live your lives, you're in for a rude awakening when you get out into the real world.

I completely agree.

It's sad that some people can't accept another's opinion.  It's great to stand by what you believe, but come on, don't push it on someone else.  Respect the fact that everyone has their own opinion.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13503 on: August 09, 2011, 04:59:06 PM »
Sorry if I am kind of ranting here, but I am also annoyed by the The Debt Ceiling Deadline thread. Even though it is in the General Discussion, it is a pretty active forum for something to be not related to TWC.
The economy is a huge issue right now, and anything in the General Discussion board is meant to be non-TWC.  We just have to calmly communicate and debate issues in a more adult way.  If anyone feels that they cannot contribute to a topic positively, then avoid it.  There are plenty of other topics to discuss here. ;)

It's sad that some people can't accept another's opinion.  It's great to stand by what you believe, but come on, don't push it on someone else.  Respect the fact that everyone has their own opinion.
Sadly, many of these problems come up due to individualism and personal pride.  I think our society would be a lot better if everyone realized the importance of humility.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #13504 on: August 09, 2011, 10:27:51 PM »
I went to the doctor yesterday for a checkup on my spine. It's been 39 months since my scoliosis surgery and my doctor says everything still looks good except he said it looks like I swallowed my keys. :P When the nurse took me to have my x-ray taken, I forgot to take off my key chain so it's in the picture. :lol: You can also see the rod that was placed on my spine from the surgery in May 2008.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #13505 on: August 10, 2011, 03:31:27 AM »
Great, now we know of what the inside of you looks like. :P
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #13506 on: August 11, 2011, 01:32:43 PM »
I went to the doctor yesterday for a checkup on my spine. It's been 39 months since my scoliosis surgery and my doctor says everything still looks good except he said it looks like I swallowed my keys. :P When the nurse took me to have my x-ray taken, I forgot to take off my key chain so it's in the picture. :lol: You can also see the rod that was placed on my spine from the surgery in May 2008.

It just makes it seem like you actually ate your keys...which is quite scary. xD Please don't try that. xD
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #13507 on: August 11, 2011, 02:14:32 PM »
Ha-ha, nice. :) Ana, that's the strikethrough Tyler seems to dislike. :P

I'm feeling a bit better now. After seeing my class schedule, having some therapy, and just spending more time outside despite this awful heat, I don't feel as stressed at the moment. However, here's something I would like to know: Do any of you wake up in the morning with nausea? I have some degree of nausea every morning, but it was really bad today. I have to skip breakfast often because just the sight and smell of food only make it worse. Any of you guys feel like this, too? I may have to see a doctor about this if it persists.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 02:26:45 PM by Christina »

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #13508 on: August 11, 2011, 02:17:46 PM »
Welcome back Christina! :)

I rarely experience nausea, though usually if I feel nauseous after a meal, I usually lie down and sleep to help keep the thought out of me, but since it's when you're waking up, I cant think of any solutions. :(

Glad you arent stressed much anymore  :)  and whats with everyone dissing the strikeout posts anyways? xD
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline kpetree10

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • HD WxStar ID #: 99910
  • SD Channel #: 15
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23277
« Reply #13509 on: August 11, 2011, 02:34:05 PM »
I kind of get that feeling in the morning. Sometimes when I wake up and think about breakfast it makes me feel like I'm gonna throw up. However about 30 minutes or so after getting up I'm fine. I usually get up and work out then have breakfast and I'm ok.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13510 on: August 11, 2011, 10:45:03 PM »
I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned, but the damage costs of Hurricane Katrina has been updated to 108 Billion dollars making it the first 100 Billion Dollar Hurricane in US history. Hurricane Ike comes in second w/ 29 Billion, very far cry from Katrina.

Interesting tidbit, 7 out of the 10 costliest hurricanes listed in the chart occurred in the 2004/2005 seasons alone, the most active seasons of the 21st century.

You can read the article here
http://www.weather.com/blog/weather/8_25283.html
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:47:26 PM by StuckonStoop-id »

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13511 on: August 11, 2011, 11:29:38 PM »
Interesting tidbit, 7 out of the 10 costliest hurricanes listed in the chart occurred in the 2004/2005 season alone, the most active seasons of the 21st century.
Two years qualify as a season?

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13512 on: August 11, 2011, 11:41:45 PM »
Interesting tidbit, 7 out of the 10 costliest hurricanes listed in the chart occurred in the 2004/2005 season alone, the most active seasons of the 21st century.

When I said it the second time I said "seasons" so obviously the first one was supposed to be the same. I didn't even realize I left off the s until you brought it to my attention.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 11:47:05 PM by StuckonStoop-id »

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13513 on: August 12, 2011, 12:50:34 AM »

When I said it the second time I said "seasons" so obviously the first one was supposed to be the same. I didn't even realize I left off the s until you brought it to my attention.

I actually didn't recognize it as a typo - I just thought you were combining two years together for some reason.

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #13514 on: August 12, 2011, 08:52:24 AM »
Katrina was a super monster hurricane that would've caused a lot of damage to any city. It's just unfortunate it hit the city prone to bad surge, but I wouldn't have wanted to wish misfortune anywhere else though. I was still so young back then and confused. I don't know if I told you guys my Katrina story, but I actually moved to Birmingham, Alabama, for a few years after the storm and moved back to New Orleans in 2008, then to Lafayette in 2010.

And thanks for you guys' response to my nausea question. The reason I asked it is because it was so unusually bad that I threw up for no reason (I know, gross). It's a lot better this morning, though. It was definitely something I ate, I think.

Well, my classes start next week, and I'm as nervous as anybody, but I don't know why. I've been actually tormented by boredom this latter half of summer, but I think this year of college will be pretty challenging. Wish me luck, and I hope all of you people have a good start to the year. :)