June 06, 2024, 07:50:30 AM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1787689 times)

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #13485 on: August 08, 2011, 10:20:22 AM »
That sounds like a jam-packed day. Sounds like you had fun!

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #13486 on: August 08, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »
Yep! Sure did. May be going back again this week.

Also, just got this:

Quote from: @weatherchannel
Soon you'll be able to follow select cities' TWC forecast on Twitter. http://twitpic.com/6318fn #comingsoon

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #13487 on: August 08, 2011, 01:20:28 PM »
Yep! Sure did. May be going back again this week.

Also, just got this:

Quote from: @weatherchannel
Soon you'll be able to follow select cities' TWC forecast on Twitter. http://twitpic.com/6318fn #comingsoon

I've been following @twc_pittsburgh for a while now. Works for most major cities (just change the city name).

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #13488 on: August 08, 2011, 09:44:19 PM »
I will be going to a wedding this Saturday.
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13489 on: August 08, 2011, 11:44:10 PM »
From this point forward, anyone doing a political attack on another person will result in a warning or further consequences.  There have been several members who feel so strongly divided about their beliefs that it has caused a wide split at times in threads.  I think it's too much, especially since we all came together here to share in the same interests.  We're all friends here, so let's treat each other respectfully.  Thanks.

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13490 on: August 09, 2011, 12:21:29 AM »
From this point forward, anyone doing a political attack on another person will result in a warning or further consequences.  There have been several members who feel so strongly divided about their beliefs that it has caused a wide split at times in threads.  I think it's too much, especially since we all came together here to share in the same interests.  We're all friends here, so let's treat each other respectfully.  Thanks.

I agree.  :yes: We should all express our political views without personally attacking each other.
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13491 on: August 09, 2011, 12:37:18 AM »

I agree.  :yes: We should all express our political views without personally attacking each other.
Well, I'm seriously considering if all political topics should just be avoided.  You and several others gave a lot of political opinions here over the past weeks, and I fear that it caused the fiery storm of attacks.  I want this forum to be a peaceful, happy, and positive place that all of us can enjoy without fear of being critiqued in what you believe.

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #13492 on: August 09, 2011, 12:57:44 AM »
Well, I'm seriously considering if all political topics should just be avoided.  You and several others gave a lot of political opinions here over the past weeks, and I fear that it caused the fiery storm of attacks.  I want this forum to be a peaceful, happy, and positive place that all of us can enjoy without fear of being critiqued in what you believe.
I respectfully have to disagree. Politics affect all of us. I hate going to online communities where politics or current events can't be discussed, because, like you said, we're all friends (although I use the term "friends" lightly), and should be allowed to discuss things on our mind, no matter the topic. We shouldn't really be regulating what's being discussed, but more how and where it is being discussed. Yes, politics don't belong in TWC threads, and personal attacks are never ok. But saying no political topics at all - I'm certainly not a fan of that.

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #13493 on: August 09, 2011, 01:06:09 AM »
But why vent political views in a WEATHER forum? Come on, guys. If you want to talk politics, take it somewhere else, please. All I want to do is have a nice discussion about TWC, weather, pretty much anything that isn't controversial.

btw, Zach, this was the answer to your question you asked me on twitter. xD
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13494 on: August 09, 2011, 01:11:43 AM »
I respectfully have to disagree. Politics affect all of us. I hate going to online communities where politics or current events can't be discussed, because, like you said, we're all friends (although I use the term "friends" lightly), and should be allowed to discuss things on our mind, no matter the topic. We shouldn't really be regulating what's being discussed, but more how and where it is being discussed. Yes, politics don't belong in TWC threads, and personal attacks are never ok. But saying no political topics at all - I'm certainly not a fan of that.
You're right, Tyler.  It does affect all of us in some way, and I think we need a compromise here amongst all of us on what's best for here.  I just want all the arguing and bickering to stop.  Politics always seems to cause many people to go way too far, and I'll confess that it's very difficult and painful for me to watch people that I respect try to attack one another about their beliefs.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13495 on: August 09, 2011, 01:14:44 AM »
I'm guilty of attacking others here on the forums for political views, I'll admit it. But I think this forum has proven we can talk about political issues in a civilized manner. Political debates, when done right, are enlightening, allow a unique perspective to an issue, and it makes us smarter in the long run. I think all of us here can do that if we put aside our bias and our assumptions about opposing views and discuss matters with an open mind.

I will publicly apologize for any remarks I have made here on the forums that may have offended another member(s). The last thing I want here is to make an enemy.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #13496 on: August 09, 2011, 01:27:09 AM »
But why vent political views in a WEATHER forum? Come on, guys. If you want to talk politics, take it somewhere else, please. All I want to do is have a nice discussion about TWC, weather, pretty much anything that isn't controversial.

If we just talked about weather here, site traffic would dramatically decrease. For example, this thread is the single most discussed thread on the forum, and it has nothing to do with TWC. Very few online communities are 100% specific to one subject.

Bottom line is I think we need to start handing out more warnings when they are needed. I don't believe we (myself included) hand out enough warnings for people who start arguments and attack other members. With that said, I also believe many people here take things to heart way too much, and are very immature. You can't take everything everyone says to you online seriously. If that's how you live your lives, you're in for a rude awakening when you get out into the real world.

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #13497 on: August 09, 2011, 01:28:04 AM »

Btw, why do you always use strikeout? Just wondering... I don't really care, but it sure bugs the hell out of me! :bleh:

phw115wvwx

« Reply #13498 on: August 09, 2011, 01:44:00 AM »
Bottom line is I think we need to start handing out more warnings when they are needed. I don't believe we (myself included) hand out enough warnings for people who start arguments and attack other members. With that said, I also believe many people here take things to heart way too much, and are very immature. You can't take everything everyone says to you online seriously. If that's how you live your lives, you're in for a rude awakening when you get out into the real world.
I fully agree with that proposal.  Okay, I take back my thoughts on eliminating all political topics.  They can still be posted provided that they're only in the General Discussion board and that everyone provides their opinions in a completely civil manner.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13499 on: August 09, 2011, 01:56:44 AM »
I also would like to apologize for any of the bursts I may have made in recent political threads. A lot of things in politics make me feel depressed and I always seem to have to let those words out. But they are not to offend people in any way.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 02:00:58 AM by Mike M »