June 05, 2024, 10:01:32 AM

Author Topic: Nationwide EAS test  (Read 4313 times)

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Nationwide EAS test
« on: November 09, 2011, 02:04:11 PM »
Nationwide EAS test: FAIL!

I monitored three sources: a local broadcast network on cable, a basic cable network, and a local radio station.

The local broadcast network activated the test, but the audio quality was terrible to the point of incomprehensibility. The basic cable network did NOTHING. And the local radio station sounded the warning tone, followed by absolute silence until the end-of-alert tone.

Had this have been a real emergency, the it seems like many people wouldn't have heard it.

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: Nationwide EAS test
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2011, 02:08:09 PM »
Even though the test was a big failure, I managed to record it anyway just for the hell of it. Will post a clip later.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2011, 02:17:50 PM by TWCJim »
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2011, 02:15:01 PM »
Eric, assuming you didnt have a digital box, I wouldnt see how you would see it unless you had on the channel BHN was showing it and redirecting cable boxes to..

NOAA Weather Radio stations also did not partake in the test, and I listened to an FM station/surfed through my OTA channels here in Tampa and maybe one or two did not participate. The FM station did it.

I agree, the audio quality of the message was poor, and could have been better.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2011, 02:21:28 PM »
I noticed the analog TV in our living room started nearly a minute before it did on the cable feed in my room. It also didn't last as long on the cable feed as it did on analog, it lasted about approximately 30 seconds while on the analog TV it lasted about a minute. This actually leads me to a question I've always had in mine. Why is it that the analog feed starts EAS tests (weekly or monthly) earlier than on cable? Also the same thing when it comes to programming in general.

Cable

Analog

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2011, 02:22:55 PM »
Nationwide EAS test: FAIL!

I monitored three sources: a local broadcast network on cable, a basic cable network, and a local radio station.

The local broadcast network activated the test, but the audio quality was terrible to the point of incomprehensibility. The basic cable network did NOTHING. And the local radio station sounded the warning tone, followed by absolute silence until the end-of-alert tone.

Had this have been a real emergency, the it seems like many people wouldn't have heard it.

Well it was the very first one, There was bound to be a hiccup or two in there.

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 02:56:33 PM »
Eric, assuming you didnt have a digital box, I wouldnt see how you would see it unless you had on the channel BHN was showing it and redirecting cable boxes to..

I did watch on a digital cable box.  However, the cable company is supposed to redirect all output to the channel that is carrying the alert, meaning that all viewers should be seeing the same thing, whether or not they have a cable box, and regardless of what channel they were originally watching.  (In other words, all channels are made to show the same output from one source, regardless of how they are tuned.)

In my case, Bright House Networks either did not activate the test on its systems at all, or did not adequately redirect channels.  Considering this was supposed to be a test of the presidential codes (the highest in the system), this was a big fail.

NOAA Weather Radio stations also did not partake in the test, and I listened to an FM station/surfed through my OTA channels here in Tampa and maybe one or two did not participate. The FM station did it.

It was specifically announced that NOAA Weather Radio would not be participating.  One of the shortcomings of the EAS system as it exists is that it can not activate on Weather Radio on its own; the signal (including SAME codes) would have to be specifically sent to Weather Radio for transmission.  For this test, it was decided to not do that.  Radio and TV stations have only two options during activation of the EAS: broadcast the EAS signal, or stop regular broadcasting and inform viewers/listeners where they can get the EAS information.  Continuing with regular programming is not an option.  So, if some of your radio stations continued with regular programming, it means they either didn't receive the EAS signal at all (which is also a failure of the system, since all stations are supposed to constantly monitor for the signal) or were unable to transmit it.

I agree, the audio quality of the message was poor, and could have been better.

Considering the EAS is an audio-only system, the poor quality of the audio is unacceptable, since it's the only way the EAS can disseminate information.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 02:59:21 PM »
This actually leads me to a question I've always had in mine. Why is it that the analog feed starts EAS tests (weekly or monthly) earlier than on cable? Also the same thing when it comes to programming in general.

This has an easy answer.

Analogue transmission is output on a TV or radio as soon as it is received, because it is transmitted by simple means: modifying the amplitude (AM) or frequency (FM) of the radio signal.  This is a real-time process and is reflected by the means of output (TV or radio) by being repeated in real-time.

Digital transmission, however, is in packets of digital information, which are essentially meaningless until they are decoded by the TV or radio.  Therefore, what's being broadcast must be encoded from the broadcasting facility into these digital packets, and then must be decoded by the TV or radio as they are received.  This process takes a little bit of time, hence the delay as compared to analogue.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 03:01:16 PM »
Well it was the very first one, There was bound to be a hiccup or two in there.

That's a good point.  Still, considering this technology has existed for decades and is actually a pretty rudimentary system (audio only, simply codes transmitted in audio for decoding and activation, etc.), AND especially considering that this test used the highest-level presidential codes, it's a pretty glaring failure.  What if a major emergency happened tomorrow and the EAS system needed to be activated?  Judging from today's test, it seems like nothing but luck would allow the message to get out.

Judging from what I've been reading about this on CNN's webpage, the test wasn't so successful anywhere.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2011, 03:56:30 PM »
I thought this was a test by the government. I wasn't aware that stations had a choice. :unsure:
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2011, 04:16:12 PM »
This actually leads me to a question I've always had in mine. Why is it that the analog feed starts EAS tests (weekly or monthly) earlier than on cable? Also the same thing when it comes to programming in general.

This has an easy answer.

Analogue transmission is output on a TV or radio as soon as it is received, because it is transmitted by simple means: modifying the amplitude (AM) or frequency (FM) of the radio signal.  This is a real-time process and is reflected by the means of output (TV or radio) by being repeated in real-time.

Digital transmission, however, is in packets of digital information, which are essentially meaningless until they are decoded by the TV or radio.  Therefore, what's being broadcast must be encoded from the broadcasting facility into these digital packets, and then must be decoded by the TV or radio as they are received.  This process takes a little bit of time, hence the delay as compared to analogue.

Thank you for taking the time to explain.  :)

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2011, 04:46:50 PM »
Not even a hint of an EAS Test on Comcast Cable of Memphis. Then again, they have a suckish in-house EAS as it is (see video below)

Comcast EAS - Severe Thunderstorm Warning - July 24, 2011

This is what I saw today at 1 PM CST:

Nick Walker: "Well, we have a programming note for you. In just a few seconds, there will be a nationwide test of the EAS. Again, this is only a test. The test will begin shortly" (Looks to the monitor as in anticipation of the test)

Vivian Brown: (Big Picture Forecast)

Nick Walker: "The nationwide test of the EAS is now over"

FAIL

Offline tpirfan28

• Ultimate Member
  • Site Designer Extraordinare!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 08:09:21 PM »
Failure means that things can be fixed for the next time.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 08:17:11 PM »
This was just a test to see what would happen with a first ever nationwide EAS activation over all possible media outlets.  The NWS was purposely told not to do a routine weekly test today so that everything else besides the weather radio was tested.  I even sent out that statement about it for my office a week ago.  Obviously, the feedback from this test should hopefully push for significant improvements.  The long-term goal is to have a completely digital EAS so that all platforms like cell phones, pagers, and the internet itself along with the traditional outlets of TV, radio, and weather radios can receive these critical alerts.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 08:36:09 PM »
Failure means that things can be fixed for the next time.

Agreed.  :yes:

This was just a test to see what would happen with a first ever nationwide EAS activation over all possible media outlets.  The NWS was purposely told not to do a routine weekly test today so that everything else besides the weather radio was tested.  I even sent out that statement about it for my office a week ago.  Obviously, the feedback from this test should hopefully push for significant improvements. The long-term goal is to have a completely digital EAS so that all platforms like cell phones, pagers, and the internet itself along with the traditional outlets of TV, radio, and weather radios can receive these critical alerts.

You would think they would have tried doing this like I don't know maybe 5 or 10 years ago or at least tried doing this the same year of the digital transition.

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 549
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • SD Channel #: 49
  • SD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • WxScan Ch. #: 19
  • WxScan ID #: 20271
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2011, 08:44:05 PM »
This is what I saw today at 1 PM CST:

Nick Walker: "Well, we have a programming note for you. In just a few seconds, there will be a nationwide test of the EAS. Again, this is only a test. The test will begin shortly" (Looks to the monitor as in anticipation of the test)

Vivian Brown: (Big Picture Forecast)

Nick Walker: "The nationwide test of the EAS is now over"

FAIL

The test was supposed to begin at 2 PM ET however, based on the tape I set to record (which luckily was set to a news channel so I could see the time), the test was initiated (or received) at 2:03 PM.

It also was apparently routed through local radio station WSTV-FM, whereas normally, FPB transmits it. I guess because it went out on PEP stations...

My test:
National EAS Test - Frankfort, KY (Frankfort PB) - 11/9/2011 2:03 PM

also apparently, my city sounded the outdoor sirens too...