April 25, 2024, 10:41:31 PM

Author Topic: The Weather Channel vs. Fort Worth Councilman on Twitter  (Read 3949 times)

Offline texasstooge

• Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk!
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 37
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 037
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
The Weather Channel vs. Fort Worth Councilman on Twitter
« on: May 12, 2014, 06:04:16 PM »
Fort Worth Councilman Joel Burns, nationally known for his efforts to stop bullying in schools, sent a tweet to The Weather Channel Monday morning. The response he received set off a storm with Twitter viewers across the U.S.

STORY: http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/div-classstorifyiframe-srcstorifycomWFAAfort-worth-councilman-weather-channel-ignite-sociaembedborderfalse-width100-height750-frameborderno-allowtransparencytrueiframescript-srcstorifycomWFAAfort-worth-councilman-w-258910321.html

To be fair, Fort Worth is a part of the DFW area. What does one expect? Though TWC does need to add more photos including other major cities. Not just the known ones (Dallas) but also its nearby (Fort Worth) counterpart(s) as well.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
Re: The Weather Channel vs. Fort Worth Councilman on Twitter
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 09:18:14 PM »
Seems like a lot of fuss over nothing.

I deal with a lot of comments from viewers at the station who simply are nasty and negative because they can. If the councilman had expected a legitimate and honest response then publicly tweeting to his followers "Dear @weatherchannel I SWEAR I'm deleting your aggravating app if you don't STOP SHOWING DALLAS pics for Fort Worth " Isn't the best way to do so. Should I really expect to feel sorry that TWC can't program every single city image into its app? The app isn't to provide you with pretty pictures of cities but rather to show weather information.

Offline luesjo12

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 211
  • HD WxStar ID #: 35644
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 09:45:08 PM »

I deal with a lot of comments from viewers at the station who simply are nasty and negative because they can. If the councilman had expected a legitimate and honest response then publicly tweeting to his followers "Dear @weatherchannel I SWEAR I'm deleting your aggravating app if you don't STOP SHOWING DALLAS pics for Fort Worth " Isn't the best way to do so. Should I really expect to feel sorry that TWC can't program every single city image into its app? The app isn't to provide you with pretty pictures of cities but rather to show weather information.
I couldn't have said it better myself. This is just stupid. He didn't have to take it this far, I mean really that's why TWC Has a Support Website.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 10:27:35 PM »

I couldn't have said it better myself. This is just stupid. He didn't have to take it this far, I mean really that's why TWC Has a Support Website.

Although I somewhat agree with both of you, I think the tweet from TWC staffer was not appropriate either. Reading between the lines, it's obviously clear it was meant to be sarcastic, but it's still insensitive to make a comment like that when it involves something as serious as bullying.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 02:33:07 AM »
This is why I hate Twitter. It's a haven for bullies and self-proclaimed victims. In this case, Joel being the bully and his defenders being the self-proclaimed victims (and therefore also bullies).
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline luesjo12

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 211
  • HD WxStar ID #: 35644
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 06:34:25 AM »
Although I somewhat agree with both of you, I think the tweet from TWC staffer was not appropriate either. Reading between the lines, it's obviously clear it was meant to be sarcastic, but it's still insensitive to make a comment like that when it involves something as serious as bullying.
That's also true, it's just like the time TWC's twitter said: WeatherNation, Where meteorologists go to die?

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 01:54:40 PM »
This is really the dumbest thing I've ever heard.  At first glance, I did not think there was anything wrong with TWC's tweet; however as the article mentions, anything like that up for interpretation that can be taken sarcastically is dangerous to put on Twitter.  Essentially, BOTH are in the wrong, though I am pretty shocked that TWC even responded to said tweet.  I mean, how many tweets a day do you think they get threatening that someone will stop watching them or delete their app, etc.?  And I highly doubt they respond to those tweets.  But I guess since this guy was a "higher up" they felt the need to respond, though I'm still not sure why.

The whole outcry is just stupid, though.  I guess it highlights the hatred between Dallas and Fort Worth.  But, heck, most smaller cities on the app don't even show the skyline - instead it's just a generic picture of clouds or whatever.  Again, this whole thing is just stupid and highly immature in my opinion.  Enough said. :hammer:

Offline Star4000 Fan

• View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 56
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 10:56:11 PM »
This is unbelievable on BOTH sides.   

Is there this much hatred between Minneapolis and St. Paul?  Raleigh and Durham?  Greenville and Spartanburg?  Seattle and Tacoma?

Come on!

I am so glad I don't have Twitter - I didn't even know about this until I read this thread.  I just wasted about five minutes.

I have the WeatherStar simulator from Taiganet - I am HAPPY!  B)