June 04, 2024, 02:49:11 AM

Author Topic: Nicole Mitchell sues The Weather Channel  (Read 34369 times)

Offline ap215

• View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Nicole Mitchell sues The Weather Channel
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2012, 09:39:16 AM »
So now the truth comes out on Nicole's demotion at TWC & departure what arrogance by Comcast Bain Capital & Blackstone disgraceful on how they treated her i am worried about this arbitration issue against Nicole which might go against her i hope i'm wrong & she wins this case.

And about Hillary Andrews she was awarded a monetary settlement in that case against Bob Stokes & i believe she works at CNN now.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2012, 10:43:11 AM »
So now the truth comes out on Nicole's demotion at TWC & departure what arrogance by Comcast Bain Capital & Blackstone disgraceful on how they treated her i am worried about this arbitration issue against Nicole which might go against her i hope i'm wrong & she wins this case.
Don't you mean NBC? I highly doubt their investors have anything to do with day-to-day firings.
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2012, 12:30:09 PM »
After watching that video, I'd be very interested to know who the co-worker harassing Nicole was.  It sounded like he/she would have been an OCM.  (This is more of a rhetorical question, since I know it shouldn't be discussed publicly.)

Also (I may sound stupid here), but what is Nicole looking for as a result of this case if she wins?  One of the guys in the video kept saying he wanted TWC to "do the right thing" but didn't specify exactly what that was.  Does Nicole want more money?  Does she want TWC to cancel the Hurricane Hunters series, or re-edit it with her included (I don't think this will be easy)?  Or does she just want the public to be aware of the issue so that TWC can issue a public apology and treat those in the service with more respect in the future?

I assume that Nicole's winning will definitely lead to the third circumstance, but it may also involve circumstance 1 and/or 2.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2012, 04:51:40 PM »
It didn't sound like a money issue. Maybe she felt "calling out" TWC was the best way to handle how they harrassed her.

Offline The Weatherman

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2012, 08:18:43 PM »
I just saw on my facebook that former OCM Nicole Mitchell is sueing TWC.

Nicole Mitchell Sues The Weather Channel for USERRA Discrimination

I hope it's all right that I put a link to a video about this on here.

She's getting payback. But she wasn't the only one done wrong

Here are my thoughts(Warning: Long and uses Several Parentheses)

I hope she wins and by the way let NBC bring back Marshall Seese, Kristina Abernathy, Dave Schwartz, Bill Keneely, Sharon Resultan, Kristen Dodd, Jeanetta Jones(Car Accident possible exception), Rich Johnson, Cheryl Lemke, and  Mark Mancuso. These people were awesome. I believe just as many people( maybe more) would watch Marshall ad Heather as Al and Stephanie. Al cannot be paid 10x everyone else and only be on for 2 hours. I hope this is the platform for changes in the weather channel. I just saw Heidi Cullen ion TWC for the Top 5 storms of 2011. Heidi Cullen, Miranda Cosgrove, and Tim Tebow have been on the Weather Channel, but Bill Keneely and Marshall Seese aren't. Al is paid 1M+, Yet Dave Schwartz sells shoes at Macy's in Lenox mall(when I go to Lenox I will see him). Al dances all day  :thumbdown:. Dave gives us the weather in a down to earth manor :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. NBC will pay Matt Lauer 30M. Yet OCM's making 350-400K were laid off to "reduce costs". I don't believe that salary was the reason for the layoffs. I think they wanted the old OCM's to speak about Global warming( Heidi Cullen's guest appearance). Maybe it was something else they didn't want to say(Other than global warming). Another reason is probably that they wanted Kristina, Dave, Mark to be a cheesy comedy show( This is the reason for the dancing and stupid jokes). Another TWC problem is the dumb Reality Shows. Back in the 1980's - 1990's and even into the early 2000's NBC had some good shows (Matlock, Golden Girls etc.). Now all you see is The Voice.
I guess since NBC owns part of Bravo that's where the ideas came from. Listen NBC don't try to turn TWC into the second real house wives of Atlanta(I live here). NBC, NO MORE Ice Pilots, WUWA, Lifeguard or any thing.
You may keep It Could Happen Tomorrow, Storm Stories, and other shows that are atleast 90% weather. If you want to keep the reality shows then create The Weather Channel 2. In short, Let Al go to NBC and stay
Let us keep the more seasoned and brilliant OCM's. NBC doesn't realize you can be a good OCM without being stupid. If we want a joke, We know Jay Leno is on at 11:35. Also Give us back the Positive Feel of The Weather Channel that we had just a few years ago. TWC doesn't need comedy after all it survived for 26 years before you instituted it. Last thing NBC, When I put on TWC, I want weather. I am not blaming anyone, but I do want weather back. Good job Nicole. We're rooting for you. NBC can still Change TWC for the better.
hem
Note: I realize that those older OCM's wouldn't be around forever. We would eventually have to learn new people.  However, what happened was not right. Those OCM's had a good 10-15 years left. I don't have a problem with NBC or anyone at TWC personally, but I do want change. I have a problem with the dancing and bad comedy. Only Stephanie Abrams and Al Roker do it. You can be funny and professional at the same time.
An example would be Dave Schwartz :happy: . And There are some I like about as much as as the older ones(They are older themselves and are still there). I really like (who is still there)  Mike Siedel, Jim Cantore, Vivian Brown, Jeff Morrow, Kim Cunningham Carl Parker(Very professional), Dr. Greg Forbes and Adam Burg (he isn't old but is funny and down tho earth like Dave Schwartz(No One can be just like Dave though :( ). Some people are too new for me to formulate an opinion, some are on too late for me to know them, and some I know but can't remember their names. Any professional I will like them and get use to them. They(New OCM's :Maria Larosa, Todd Santos, Jen Carfagno, Stephanie Abrams) look like they are just trying to do their jobs. But if they (New OCM's) tried to get the older OCM's fired ON PURPOSE and used their younger looks and bodies to get the job then remember Karma is a  :censored: . Kristina Abernathy and Sharon Resultan were still very good looking when they were layed off. Keneely and Schwartz were capable and professional too. So if you used your age a looks and bodies to try to replace them, You have 10 years until you're 40 and the next people will come and you feel like Abernathy and Schwartz. So if you did that to get them fired watch out.

This Really last. I don't know what happened or why. Were the older OCM's fired for 1 money,2 not wanting to be silly and a cheesy comedy, 3  Global Warming controversy, or 4 the younger OCM's screwing them over.

If the answer is 4 them we have a problem. Rich Johnson if you read this please reply. Anyone please reply   

Sorry for the long paragraph and series of parentheses. I just had to vent. Good luck Nicole!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2012, 08:26:55 PM »
The only thing I'm going to address about that is that Marshall Seese wasn't forced off TWC. He retired.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2012, 08:31:31 PM »
The only thing I'm going to address about that is that Marshall Seese wasn't forced off TWC. He retired.
Same with Sharon, she voluntarily left TWC.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2012, 08:42:55 PM »
Didn't Kristina Abernathy leave on her own terms too? I don't remember her being apart of the layoffs with Dave, Cheryl and Ebony. :no: She left around the same time I think though, can't remember. This old brain ain't what it used to be. :P

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2012, 08:55:17 PM »
No, Kristina was part of the massive 2008 layoffs. :(
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2012, 09:13:44 PM »
Zach, it was early 2009. She wasn't part of the 2008 layoffs with Lemke, Scwartz and Deon

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 02:17:46 AM »
I wish Nicole the best of luck with her case. Its pointless to even mention any of the other OCMs in this topic. This situation is completely different than any other OCMs who were let go.

Also (I may sound stupid here), but what is Nicole looking for as a result of this case if she wins?  One of the guys in the video kept saying he wanted TWC to "do the right thing" but didn't specify exactly what that was.  Does Nicole want more money?  Does she want TWC to cancel the Hurricane Hunters series, or re-edit it with her included (I don't think this will be easy)?  Or does she just want the public to be aware of the issue so that TWC can issue a public apology and treat those in the service with more respect in the future?
TWC would never issue a public apology or put her back in the series. They are just as likely to rehire her or any other OCMs. No company is going to publicly admit they were wrong in a situation like this. The best Nicole can hope for is to get the non compete clause abolished and perhaps some sort of payout.

Offline JBC

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 08:29:34 AM »
After watching that video, I'd be very interested to know who the co-worker harassing Nicole was.  It sounded like he/she would have been an OCM.  (This is more of a rhetorical question, since I know it shouldn't be discussed publicly.)

I might not have listened correctly, but I thought she was talking about a previous job when she had a co-worker harrassed her for being away on military duty. She only had good things to say regarding TWC until the buy-out.

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 549
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • SD Channel #: 49
  • SD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • WxScan Ch. #: 19
  • WxScan ID #: 20271
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 10:54:59 AM »
TWC issues a statement:
Quote from: The Weather Channel
The Weather Channel is committed to creating a work atmosphere free of discrimination and in compliance with The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 ("USERRA"), and its owners support that commitment. This is a commitment that we have always taken very seriously. We cannot comment on pending litigation, but as with many situations, there is more than one version of what occurred. We disagree with many of the assertions in the plaintiff's press statements and intend to vigorously defend the matter in the arbitration process.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 06:03:28 PM »
TWC issues a statement:
The Weather Channel is committed to creating a work atmosphere free of discrimination and in compliance with The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994 ("USERRA"), and its owners support that commitment. This is a commitment that we have always taken very seriously. We cannot comment on pending litigation, but as with many situations, there is more than one version of what occurred. We disagree with many of the assertions in the plaintiff's press statements and intend to vigorously defend the matter in the arbitration process.
Sounds like what just about any other defendant would say.

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2012, 12:08:21 AM »
TWC issues a statement:

Sounds like what just about any other defendant would say.
They cannot say anything more than that as it could hurt their case when it goes to court.

None the less, a new article about this issue: http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/weather-channel-anchor-says-she-was-fired-over-military-service.html