May 07, 2024, 05:09:31 PM

Author Topic: General TWC Discussion  (Read 1897829 times)

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: General TWC Discussion
« Reply #6810 on: February 24, 2011, 05:58:05 PM »
It did for a very brief time when the new LDL was introduced a year ago.  However, that was only because the IntelliStar LDL didn't have one, and people complained.  When the IntelliStar LDL got a clock, it was removed from the national LDL.

TWC should be able to re-enable the clock for Satellite viewers, it seems kind of ridiculous to not have one because it a hassle (on the DTV end) to have to constantly press the guide or info button just to see what time it is.  <_<

That actually makes sense, since now it's not only satellite viewers (and the viewer with an occasionally out-of-order IntelliStar), but also ALL viewers with a WeatherStar XL, 4000, or Jr.  That number might not be absolutely huge, but it's still very sizable.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #6811 on: February 24, 2011, 06:03:24 PM »
I dont even see the problem TWC has with running 24131/24130 and 27120/27119 on beat-down versions of the IS LDLs just to get time through to viewers... thats precisely what they did until 3/11/10

That actually makes sense, since now it's not only satellite viewers (and the viewer with an occasionally out-of-order IntelliStar), but also ALL viewers with a WeatherStar XL, 4000, or Jr.  That number might not be absolutely huge, but it's still very sizable.
You do realize that 4000/Junior viewers never saw a clock outside the LF on a regular basis in modern times until the clock that premiered last year came, right?
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6812 on: February 24, 2011, 06:26:51 PM »
I dont even see the problem TWC has with running 24131/24130 and 27120/27119 on beat-down versions of the IS LDLs just to get time through to viewers... thats precisely what they did until 3/11/10

You do realize that 4000/Junior viewers never saw a clock outside the LF on a regular basis in modern times until the clock that premiered last year came, right?

No.  Ever since the earliest days of Stars, there was ALWAYS a clock (and date) on the LDL during programming, and also during weather bulletins (until the scrolling warnings on the 4000 premiered).

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
« Reply #6813 on: February 24, 2011, 06:31:38 PM »
No.  Ever since the earliest days of Stars, there was ALWAYS a clock (and date) on the LDL during programming, and also during weather bulletins (until the scrolling warnings on the 4000 premiered).
Read again

I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6814 on: February 24, 2011, 06:42:34 PM »
Read again

What are "modern times"?  Since I started watching TWC in the late 1980s, there was always a clock so long as you had a Star - both during the local forecast (with the III and original version of the 4000, except during the ad crawl) and during programming on the LDL.  The only time I can think of without a clock is since the new LDL premiered.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
« Reply #6815 on: February 24, 2011, 06:52:24 PM »
:facepalm: 2000-present...

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6816 on: February 24, 2011, 07:13:27 PM »

You act as if this is common knowledge.  Maybe other people have different opinions regarding "eras" in the history of The Weather Channel.

Offline yourweathertoday

• HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: -
  • SD Channel #: N/A
  • SD WxStar ID #: -
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #6817 on: February 24, 2011, 09:58:07 PM »

You act as if this is common knowledge.  Maybe other people have different opinions regarding "eras" in the history of The Weather Channel.
He has a point, Zach. Everyone cool down a bit.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
« Reply #6818 on: February 24, 2011, 10:32:22 PM »
The clock seems to be such an issue to everybody. :rolleyes: While I agree there SHOULD be one, there are those who say to just look in the room where you are watching TV...I'm sure there is a clock there. ;)

phw115wvwx

« Reply #6819 on: February 25, 2011, 04:38:39 AM »
The clock on a LF or a LDL is just a nice addition.  But is it really a necessity when we now have watches, clocks, cell phones, VCRs, DVDs, computers, and so many other items to tell us the time?  Let's not make this such a huge issue, please.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #6820 on: February 25, 2011, 07:45:09 AM »
The clock on a LF or a LDL is just a nice addition.  But is it really a necessity when we now have watches, clocks, cell phones, VCRs, DVDs, computers, and so many other items to tell us the time?  Let's not make this such a huge issue, please.

I guess some of us are not accostumed to suttle changes like that, but I agree it's not that important to me either, there a dozen places I can see what the time is inlcuding the watch I wear on my arm everyday.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6821 on: February 25, 2011, 08:20:25 AM »
The clock seems to be such an issue to everybody. :rolleyes: While I agree there SHOULD be one, there are those who say to just look in the room where you are watching TV...I'm sure there is a clock there. ;)

As I look at my TV, I count the following clocks:
1. On the TV display (with the touch of a button)
2. VCR display
3. Cable box display
4. Clock radio on top of the VCR

Do I REALLY need The Weather Channel to tell me what time it is, too?  :)

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
« Reply #6822 on: March 02, 2011, 09:02:07 PM »
No Live Weather Update at 8:59 PM EST this evening.  :thinking:

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #6823 on: March 02, 2011, 10:46:43 PM »

As I look at my TV, I count the following clocks:
1. On the TV display (with the touch of a button)
2. VCR display
3. Cable box display
4. Clock radio on top of the VCR

Do I REALLY need The Weather Channel to tell me what time it is, too?  :)
I like having the clock in the mornings when getting ready, because I don't usually do anything but watch TWC while doing so. I was thinking about this just this morning.

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #6824 on: March 03, 2011, 06:00:39 PM »
I agree. the clock is very useful for me when it comes to getting ready for school or work. Without the clock, I'd be running late.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.