April 26, 2024, 01:58:05 PM

Author Topic: What warnings do the satellite STAR show/not show?  (Read 2372 times)

Offline Pop Light Brown

• Ultimate Member
  • Bonjour!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
What warnings do the satellite STAR show/not show?
« on: February 02, 2011, 10:32:54 PM »
Satellite provider:  DirecTV
Zip Code: 70438 (Franklinton, La.)

I know from past experience that the DirecTV Star will show alerts for the following:
* Severe thunderstorm watches and warnings
* Tornado watches and warnings
* Flash flood warnings

However, my area has been under winter storm watches and warnings (including a WSWatch in effect now) several times, yet I have yet to see alerts for these advisories displayed during the local forecasts or when I first tune in to the channel.

Are there certain watches and warnings the STAR will/will not display? Help me out.
See also #23622, Ch. 31, Hammond, La.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
Re: What warnings do the satellite STAR show/not show?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 10:44:15 PM »
Satellite provider:  DirecTV
Zip Code: 70438 (Franklinton, La.)

I know from past experience that the DirecTV Star will show alerts for the following:
* Severe thunderstorm watches and warnings
* Tornado watches and warnings
* Flash flood warnings

However, my area has been under winter storm watches and warnings (including a WSWatch in effect now) several times, yet I have yet to see alerts for these advisories displayed during the local forecasts or when I first tune in to the channel.

Are there certain watches and warnings the STAR will/will not display? Help me out.

Do you watch TWC when the winter storm bulletins are first issued?  TWC won't show them constantly until they expire.  When each bulletin (including a continuation) is issued, it's shown for a certain number of minutes, then it disappears.  Bulletins such as tornado warnings, however, DO remain on until they expire, but that's because a tornado warning is much more serious and grave than a winter storm warning.

Offline beanboy89

• Ultimate Member
  • Caulk the wagons and float!
    • View Profile
    • http://billy.mozfaq.org/
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 53
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22608
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 07:21:49 AM »
This isn't about a standard STAR, this is about the DirecTV local forecast app that runs locally on your own DirecTV receiver box. For any warnings, it will display a simple Weather Bulletins page during the local forecast from the onset of the warning being issued until it expires. When a Severe Thunderstorm Warning or Tornado Warning is issued, it will also display a notification on screen (similar to the ("Get local weather now/clear" thing) along with a beeping sound. In my year and a half of having DirecTV, I've seen the LF app display the Weather Bulletin page once, and that was for a Severe Thunderstorm Warning. I've been under countless other watches, warnings, and advisories and none of them have displayed on the LF. I believe only the big three (tornado, severe thunderstorm, and flash flood) get any mention on the LF app.
My super-awesome website!
[00:45] <SpringRubberMB> I wear a condom everywhere I go!

phw115wvwx

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 07:41:14 AM »
Severe thunderstorm, flash flood, and tornado warnings are the only warnings considered to be short-fuse warnings.  They must be displayed at all times as they cover events that don't last long in duration (hence the term for "short fuse").  So, any watches and warnings for these three events take the highest priority and urgency.  Anything else doesn't have the same priority or urgency as they're either long-fuse warnings (like a winter storm or a hurricane) or just advisories, so I believe that's why the LF app is responding this way.

Offline TWC STAR Team

• TWC Employee
  • Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 10:14:13 AM »
phw115wvwx is correct for Directv.  The Directv application only launched with those Take Action Alerts of Tornado/Severe/Flash Flooding.  We always expected to add all the rest of the Alerts at a later date but that update has never happened.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 01:57:20 PM »
And the new icons? :P jk

the app will replace the "• GET LOCAL WEATHER NOW   • CLEAR" banner outside the LF with a banner for a flash/tornado/st watch and the same on warnings but a tone sounds on a warning (the same tone the IS2 uses to be exact)
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 05:38:43 PM »
I think I misunderstood the whole purpose of this thread.  It says "satellite Star," yet I was thinking about the IS2 when I wrote my answer.

Sorry! :footinmouth: