May 12, 2024, 09:34:24 PM

Author Topic: Topeka problems again  (Read 5084 times)

Offline KevOwensby

• View Profile
    • YouTube
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 2002
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31755
  • SD Channel #: 2
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22909
  • WxScan Ch. #: 270
  • WxScan ID #: 31067
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Topeka problems again
« on: June 15, 2011, 09:27:47 PM »
Some products like Estimated Precipitation on Weatherscan are showing temporarily unavailable and on the bottom ticker it's not updating everything. Our local cities are showing Thursday's forecast now while the regional cities on the ticker are still showing Wednesday's forecast. Our IS2 is flipping out and green screening, tiling the broadcast feed of TWC and dropping audio, along with blinking severly at times. Last time it did this was at 6pm until about 6:15pm CT. Before that the last time I noticed was at midnight Tuesday night. Weatherscan problem is ongoing. Haven't checked SD Intellistar. Can someone check this out please?

While I'm at it... I didn't want to start a discussion about this because it's not that big of deal but on the IS2 can Carbondale be removed from the 4-city forecast screen and replaced with somewhere like Emporia? Carbondale is 10 minutes away on another cable system in a different county and it's a town you'll drive through in 10 minutes or less plus it's already on multiple other screens. If not, or even so, can you move that city into a west-east alignment? (I think this should be done on all IS2's to make that forecast screen easier to read.) Hope it's not too much to ask. :/ Thank you!

Edit: Estimated Precipitation is back up now. Ticker still showing forecast for Wed at 10:46pm on Wednesday night only for regional cities like Omaha, Wichita, etc.

Edit 2: At 6:00am both local and regional tickers were showing forecast for Tonight. At 8:40am still showing tonight. I can't tell if it's last nights forecast or it already switched over to Thursday nights forecast. I didn't think it switched over to Tonight until about 3pm?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:43:54 AM by KevOwensby »

Offline KevOwensby

• View Profile
    • YouTube
Re: Topeka problems again
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 06:07:18 PM »
IS2 green screen and tiling of weather channel feed again at 5pm on Saturday, June 18.

Offline TWC STAR Team

• TWC Employee
  • Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:24:27 AM »
The IS2 issue has been turned in (for the green screen issue)-most likely a problem with an encoder board from what I am told. Second, This star serves Shawnee County, thus instead of Carbondale, I substituted Auburn which is in the southern part of Shawnee.

Offline KevOwensby

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 07:50:44 PM »
I noticed today. Thanks. Another thing our IS2 is doing is not cueing by up to 20 seconds. Right now at 6:28pm our IS2 did not cue. At 6:30pm when Cantore started talking, it cued. Not sure if the IS2 cueing late is a normal thing that's getting worked out or if it's just us.

Another thing I've noticed is that on the LDL when it shows the other three cities forecast when the transition drops the cities from left to right the left two drop at the same time then the right city drops afterwards. Thought I might let you know.

I hate to ask for any more requests but can you change Manhattan & Lawrence on our IS2 LDL (only) to match the SD IS LDL? So it would be Silver Lake (in NW Shawnee county), Auburn (SW Shawnee county) & Berryton (SE Shawnee county). Topeka is kinda NE Shawnee county. That way it's actually local to Shawnee County. If not, thanks anyways!! :)
One last thing to request: on Weatherscan is there any way you can change Topeka as the first city on the Destination Forecast screen on Travel to somewhere like Omaha or somewhere north? A lot of people from around here go to the Omaha Zoo this time of year. Topeka isn't exactly a destination the people from... Topeka... go to. ;) Thanks!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2011, 07:57:57 PM by KevOwensby »

Offline TWC STAR Team

• TWC Employee
  • Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2011, 08:24:55 AM »
Reply to your questions:

A. It is a known hardware trigger problem which is being worked on.
B. Last city drops a little late is by design (first and second city come up before third).
C. HD should match SD LDL now.
D. Point well taken on Wxscan Travel and changed.

Offline KevOwensby

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2011, 11:30:10 AM »
Thanks for letting me know, since it's apparently still in beta I've been letting you know anything I see in case it's not known or isn't supposed to be like that.
HD & SD LDL do match now and noticed Omaha on Travel.
Thank you, thank you... very much appreciated.

Offline KevOwensby

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 11:30:36 AM »
Alright, now that I've watched for a while with the changes I would like to request one last change. Though I have more requests only for Weatherscan, I'm not going to ask for any of those. You're doing enough with our IS2.
One last request: on our 4-city screen during Local on the 8's can you possibly change Kansas City and put Lawrence back in? So our screen would show: Silver Lake, Auburn, Berryton, Lawrence.
Kansas City is already on our forecast map screens and a lot of people go to Lawrence to shop, go to Kansas University, or live there and commute to Topeka for work. Also it is not on any other forecast screens. Again, Kansas City is. There aren't any other towns in Shawnee county that would warrant having a spot on the 4-city so I thought Lawrence would be good since it's less than 20 minutes drive from Topeka and a popular city.
If not, thank you again for all the changes you've made for us here in Topeka. Even my roommate who just started checking TWC since we got it in HD has commented on the change in a positive way without me saying anything about my requests for these changes.

I want to add separately that it's really appreciated by I'm sure everyone here that you're willing to check in to what us locals are asking be put on our forecasts. We know the areas we live better than anyone else. I'm sure most, if not all, of us are asking these requests for the better good of the area served by TWC and not just our personal likes and dislikes. You all are doing a great job getting these requests changed it seems. Thank you to whoever you are from TWC Star Team for doing this.

Offline TWC STAR Team

• TWC Employee
  • Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 08:25:06 AM »
lawrence is in for KC

Offline KevOwensby

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 10:57:55 AM »
You're awesome. Thanks!

Offline KevOwensby

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 08:03:50 PM »
Not to be a thorn in your side but, you hadn't mentioned anything about the ticker on Weatherscan having the forecast periods way out of whack that I reported in the first post. Just wondering if this is a known issue or if it got lost in all the other things I was enquiring about. Thanks.

Offline TWC STAR Team

• TWC Employee
  • Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 10:05:30 AM »
You asked: Edit 2: At 6:00am both local and regional tickers were showing forecast for Tonight. At 8:40am still showing tonight. I can't tell if it's last nights forecast or it already switched over to Thursday nights forecast. I didn't think it switched over to Tonight until about 3pm?« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 09:43:54 AM by KevOwensby »

Weatherscan is a bit different...On the ticker (black bar), from 4am-4pm forecast will be for and say "tonight" (forecast period is 7pm-7am). At 4pm, forecast changes to the next day's forecast and say the "next day's name" (forecast period is the high temperature for the next day between 7am - 7pm). The next day's forecast (i.e. today is Friday so in the case described in the previous sentence, at 4pm today ticker will say "Saturday"). This runs until 4am the next morning which at that time the cycle of 4am-4pm will switch to the name "tonight" (and will give the low temperature for the forecast period 7pm-7am). Explanation is probably as clear as mud, but that is the best way I can describe the process.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 10:22:39 AM by TWC STAR Team »

Offline KevOwensby

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 10:17:13 PM »
Okay, I had to re-read it a couple times but I got it. So our ticker is messed up then. I'll check it starting at midnight and check a whole day. What you described is not what ours is doing. Will post an update over the weekend detailing our time periods.

Offline KevOwensby

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 11:46:53 AM »
Alright, this is what our ticker did on Saturday 7/9 starting at Midnight Saturday. "Local" will be areas like Atchison, Carbondale, Fort Riley, etc. "Regional" will be the ticker that shows cities like Concordia, Falls City, etc.

Midnight(Saturday)-4pm(Saturday): Both local & regional show Saturday night.
4pm(Saturday)-Midnight(Sunday): Local showing Sunday forecast. Regional showing Saturday forecast.

At 12:02am Sunday both local & regional switched over to Sunday nights forecast.

This repeats every day and has been for about a month now. At 4pm it switches the local ticker to the current days forecast until midnight and the regional ticker shows the next days forecast until midnight. At that time they both switch to the next nights forecast. :(

Thanks for helping out on this.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:45:48 AM by KevOwensby »

Offline KevOwensby

• View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 03:05:02 AM »
Anyone else getting a no report on their Weatherscan L-Bar city current obs every night about 1am that lasts up to over an hour sometimes?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 03:13:04 AM by KevOwensby »

Offline TWC STAR Team

• TWC Employee
  • Technical Support
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2011, 04:07:10 PM »
I checked into this and there is a problem for SD Istars including Wxscan between 2-3am ET.  Appears Current Observations are not being sent or timing out.  I wrote up a ticket for this and it is being investigated.  Thanks for the heads up.