April 27, 2024, 10:33:46 AM

Author Topic: Weatherscan Topic  (Read 248421 times)

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Weatherscan Topic
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2008, 04:20:11 PM »
I wish weatherscan could come back to the basic standard lineup for my area. It used to be on CH 85 on Basic Cable for Comcast South Jersey.

Offline beanboy89

• Ultimate Member
  • Caulk the wagons and float!
    • View Profile
    • http://billy.mozfaq.org/
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 53
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22608
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2008, 05:01:19 PM »
Well, last Saturday marked five years since Weatherscan IntelliStar debuted in my area (9/27/03), and three years since a major update had been made (9/27/05). Right now it's in dire need of changes, but now that it is in the hands of NBC I don't see that happening.
Dire changes? What do you mean by that?  :huh:
My super-awesome website!
[00:45] <SpringRubberMB> I wear a condom everywhere I go!

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2008, 05:13:45 PM »
Well, last Saturday marked five years since Weatherscan IntelliStar debuted in my area (9/27/03), and three years since a major update had been made (9/27/05). Right now it's in dire need of changes, but now that it is in the hands of NBC I don't see that happening.
Wow, I'm surprised you even knew that... I did, as I live in the same area using the same IntelliStar, heh, but still... I would like to see the return of the original Weatherscan :(

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2008, 05:30:39 PM »
I am going to make a petition to force certain cable headends to put Weatherscan back in basic, analog lineups.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2008, 05:32:29 PM »
I am going to make a petition to force certain cable headends to put Weatherscan back in basic, analog lineups.
That's not going to work. Cable companies are putting Weatherscan on higher tiers because the network's ratings have dropped (due to lack of promotions for the channel). If TWC wants their ratings to go up, they should have advertise it more by showing 30-second ads for the channel before the local forecasts, and on the LF ad crawls.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2008, 05:38:29 PM by MikeM2010 »

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2008, 05:40:45 PM »
They should advertise weatherscan I mean who the hell cares about a weak tropical storm thousands of miles away from the US mainland. :rolleyes:

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2008, 12:04:18 AM »
Wow, I'm surprised you even knew that... I did, as I live in the same area using the same IntelliStar, heh, but still... I would like to see the return of the original Weatherscan :(
Yep, I remember that day very well.  It was the same day my XL's transparent LDL became black. This update occured when I lived in PA and before I started going to NJ for school, so I don't remember when the Cherry Hill Weatherscan was upgraded (I've seen both the Weatherscan and domestic XL from that area though). I'm guessing it took place the same day in all headends around here. I was a little disappointed that the Weatherscan XL was gone, but I loved the new production music and eventually got used to the new look and loved it. The new music had me record many clips of Weatherscan during this era and now I'm glad I have footage of this era to share with everyone on YouTube.

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2008, 01:15:52 AM »
Yep, I remember that day very well.  It was the same day my XL's transparent LDL became black. This update occured when I lived in PA and before I started going to NJ for school, so I don't remember when the Cherry Hill Weatherscan was upgraded (I've seen both the Weatherscan and domestic XL from that area though). I'm guessing it took place the same day in all headends around here. I was a little disappointed that the Weatherscan XL was gone, but I loved the new production music and eventually got used to the new look and loved it. The new music had me record many clips of Weatherscan during this era and now I'm glad I have footage of this era to share with everyone on YouTube.
It went the same day yours did... I remember because I flipped through the channel list and say the change... I did a full wtf the day the LDL bar changed because I wasn't happy at first but after a few months, I got used to it... my Local on the 8s didn't get changed to the IntelliStar until March 2004 though... I wasn't happy that day either...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 01:19:37 AM by jtmal0723 »

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2008, 08:34:21 PM »
Ugh, the traffic.com screen/narration is back. They're so annoying!

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2008, 11:04:51 AM »
Any word yet when the summer segments will be turned off for the season in Philadelphia? There's no need for them anymore now that we're seeing low temperatures close to freezing.

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2008, 12:11:14 PM »
Sometime at the end of October/beginning of November would be my guess.

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2008, 12:22:25 PM »
They never seem to have a specific date when to end them. Last year, Garden was disabled in October, but Golf/ Boat & Beach weren't disabled until November, then Ski was immediately added thereafter. In 2006, all three summer segments were gone by the end of September and Ski was added in early December.

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2008, 11:17:18 PM »
This week, the pollen report was disabled on the Philadelphia Weatherscans, and the travel cities have switched to the fall/winter cities, but we are still getting the summer segments. :unsure:

Offline Mike M

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2008, 10:34:22 PM »
The corner radar inset for my Camden, NJ Weatherscan has been modified slightly today. It now has Dover in it, instead of Atlantic City. I'm guessing this is associated with the changes that were made to the FiOS Weatherscan config.

This is the fourth time the corner radar had changed since it debuted in 2005, and the second time this year.

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2008, 10:46:49 PM »
The corner radar inset for my Camden, NJ Weatherscan has been modified slightly today. It now has Dover in it, instead of Atlantic City. I'm guessing this is associated with the changes that were made to the FiOS Weatherscan config.

This is the fourth time the corner radar had changed since it debuted in 2005, and the second time this year.
:O I concur with this change!