April 27, 2024, 02:38:07 AM

Poll

Is cable TV going downhill these days?

Yes
75 (86.2%)
No
12 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: Is cable TV going downhill?  (Read 79511 times)

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Is cable TV going downhill?
« Reply #120 on: March 21, 2012, 06:56:01 PM »
I believe it has. I remember when TBS aired old tv shows like The Andy Griffith Show, The Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island, Happy Days, Sanford and Son, Leave it to Beaver and other old shows. Then, TVLand had those shows, not even TVLand has all those shows anymore.
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #121 on: March 21, 2012, 08:17:41 PM »
I believe it has. I remember when TBS aired old tv shows like The Andy Griffith Show, The Brady Bunch, Gilligan's Island, Happy Days, Sanford and Son, Leave it to Beaver and other old shows. Then, TVLand had those shows, not even TVLand has all those shows anymore.

Gilligan's Island was my show when I was a kid! I don't think I have seen an episode in over 10 years. TBS also used to show the Cosby Show, and cartoons like the Jetsons, Captain Planet (though I never really watched that), and Garfield and Friends back in the day.
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2012, 02:55:44 PM »
I miss the 90s when Nick showed cartoons like Inspector Gadget, Muppet Babies, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and Garfield and Friends. Garfield and Friends also used to come on channel 44 down here every weekday morning at 6am for a while until the mid 2000s, I think. I remember waking up regularly and watching that.  :D Also 44 used to have the Disney Afternoons with Quack Pack, Goof Troop, Disney's Doug, Darkwing Duck, etc. At least Boomerang shows some classics, though the only cartoon I look at is the Jetsons.
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #123 on: April 01, 2012, 03:11:13 PM »
Garfield and Friends also used to come on channel 44 down here every weekday morning at 6am for a while until the mid 2000s, I think.
It did :biggrin: at 6 AM on weekdays.. I remember being in elementary school and before i went to school i was up to watch it
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline WeatherSTARIII

• TWC fan 1991-2005
  • Legacy STAR fan
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #124 on: April 01, 2012, 03:47:04 PM »
Garfield and Friends also used to come on channel 44 down here every weekday morning at 6am for a while until the mid 2000s, I think.
It did :biggrin: at 6 AM on weekdays.. I remember being in elementary school and before i went to school i was up to watch it
It used to come on every weekday mornings in my market as well.  Between September 1999 up until 2000 or 2001, it used to come on at 6 AM on WYZZ, which is my local FOX affiliate. I even remember prior to September 1999 my FOX affiliate before that aired Pokémon back when it was in first-run syndication.  :happy:  Nowadays, my local affiliate shows infomercials and stupid E/I mandated shows.  :( Plus I stopped watching Pokémon after the whole recasting thing. I now watch only the reruns from the orginal series on Boomerang.
Classic TWC, Weatherscan, legacy WeatherSTARs, and classic Prevue/TV Guide fan.

R.I.P. Weatherscan: 1999-2022

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #125 on: April 01, 2012, 04:14:19 PM »
It used to come on every weekday mornings in my market as well.  Between September 1999 up until 2000 or 2001, it used to come on at 6 AM on WYZZ, which is my local FOX affiliate. I even remember prior to September 1999 my FOX affiliate before that aired Pokémon back when it was in first-run syndication.  :happy:  Nowadays, my local affiliate shows infomercials and stupid E/I mandated shows.  :( Plus I stopped watching Pokémon after the whole recasting thing. I now watch only the reruns from the orginal series on Boomerang.

Pokémon is on Boomerang? :huh: How did that happen? That doesn't even fit into the category of classic cartoons. :blink: Eh, but then again looking at some of the shows they have listed on the program guide, a good half of the shows on there are not classic and instead are more modern within the past decade. They've fallen victim to wanting to appeal to a mainstream audience too. :itsok:

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 01, 2012, 04:29:32 PM »

Pokémon is on Boomerang? :huh: How did that happen? That doesn't even fit into the category of classic cartoons. :blink: Eh, but then again looking at some of the shows they have listed on the program guide, a good half of the shows on there are not classic and instead are more modern within the past decade. They've fallen victim to wanting to appeal to a mainstream audience too. :itsok:
Its the original series of Pokemon, from the early 2000s.. if you think thats bad for Boomerang, they air the original Ben 10 as well <_<
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #127 on: April 02, 2012, 11:16:46 AM »
I miss the 90s when Nick showed cartoons like Inspector Gadget, Muppet Babies, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and Garfield and Friends.
Me too. Same with USA and TBS. I watch old promos on YT and RetroJunk just about want to cry. TV was so much better back then. I recently became reacquainted with "USA Up All Night" and "USA Cartoon Express." I remember at the time thinking "Up All Night" was such a lame show. Looking back, though, it was way better than these movie shows with bland, yet annoying hosts that tell you what kind of pizza to have at your Super Bowl party. Rhonda and Gilbert never tried to sell or "help" you with anything and they were funny. Plus, the movies they showed were unique. Unlike today, when its generally ho-hum movies you've seen dozens of times.

Back to Nick, I about s*** a brick the other day when I found episodes of "Are You Afraid Of The Dark" on iTunes. I had kind of forgotten about the show until Teen Nick showed two or three episodes last Halloween. To my disappointment, I found that though DVDs had been released, they were out of print.
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 02, 2012, 11:57:36 AM »
Everything about the 90s was great. Now everything is just ugh. :hmm: :(

NintenGamers Nation

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #129 on: April 09, 2012, 04:12:33 PM »
VH1 Classic, a music channel dedicated to all things classic hard rock and metal, is now showing the sitcom "Married... with Children" on the network. What does that show have to do with hard rock and/or metal?  :dunno:
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 09, 2012, 04:19:29 PM »
MultiJesse1995, this thread is to discuss your opinions on the quality of cable television in the modern day of society, not to post your lineups. :thumbsup:

Offline MultiJesse1995

• Jesse | Zorua
    • View Profile
    • myFacebook
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #131 on: April 09, 2012, 05:20:28 PM »
understood.  B) :yes:
One Way! AND IT'S MY WAY!!!!!!!
--------------------------------------------
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MultiJesse1995
Facebook: [I'll have a page deciated to TWC stuff soon!]
Twitter: http://twitter.com/jessehakinson

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #132 on: April 09, 2012, 10:30:58 PM »
VH1 Classic, a music channel dedicated to all things classic hard rock and metal, is now showing the sitcom "Married... with Children" on the network. What does that show have to do with hard rock and/or metal?  :dunno:
Wow. That's really sad. It's a "classic" channel, yet it still falls to the pressure to "please everyone." Speaking of MWC, I've never understood the appeal of that show. Awful characters and awful writing. Okay, Kelly and Bud's girlfriend in later seasons were hot, but other than that, the show had no redeeming qualities IMO.
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 09, 2012, 10:52:43 PM »

That's downright bizarre.  Pretty soon, every single channel is going to be a carbon copy of every other single channel. :cry:

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 09, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »
Wow. That's really sad. It's a "classic" channel, yet it still falls to the pressure to "please everyone." Speaking of MWC, I've never understood the appeal of that show. Awful characters and awful writing. Okay, Kelly and Bud's girlfriend in later seasons were hot, but other than that, the show had no redeeming qualities IMO.

It's syndicated just as much as That 70's Show sheesh. :wacko: And I disagree, I always liked MWC, it wasn't the best sitcom and the last couple of seasons weren't as great, but it was still a good show to me.

NintenGamers Nation