April 28, 2024, 04:37:43 AM

Author Topic: DirecTV Dropping TWC  (Read 79544 times)

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
Re: DirecTV Dropping TWC
« Reply #300 on: April 08, 2014, 03:48:36 PM »

Offline mightynine

• View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 08, 2014, 04:28:41 PM »
A deal has been struck.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/weather-channel-returns-directv-183200850.html

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/weather-channel-to-return-to-directv_b220756

"WSJ reports the Weather Channel has also agreed to increase the airtime it gives to weather-related news"

It looks like the WCL hours that were cut in November may return.

Far more likely that quote is in reference to the WCL hours already restored during the afternoon/early evening.

Weekdays, to me, means something different than weeknights.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #302 on: April 08, 2014, 04:39:06 PM »
I'd agree the TWC concession of adding more weather news was already done by adding WCL back 2pm-5pm.
This means the schedule is going to stay live programming 4am-8pm and long form 8pm-4am.
16 hours live 8 hours non live.
There was no mention of weekends where TWC has no live shows 2pm to 4am.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 04:46:35 PM by IceManNYR »

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #303 on: April 08, 2014, 04:43:29 PM »
GLAD that this is over! I wonder how many people reacted to DTV when Sam started and now that Dave is coming back?

I'm also proud of DTV for the fact that WN gets to keep its promontion! Hopefully, this is the start of more than one weather channel, not just one.

As for cutting longform, I saw in one article that this will not affect TWC's Primetime Lineup, Of Course!!!  So, has the cutting been done already? Or, is DTV expecting more?

Hopefully, People are getting good service from WN now. I haven't found much if anything on YT about WN on DTV. Tried to view WN DTV other places, no luck!

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 04:45:01 PM by jrhtwc »

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #304 on: April 08, 2014, 06:11:29 PM »
Definitely The Weather Channel is cutting prime time shows  on weekdays. Otherwise what's the point of the new agreement. Plus the press release said they will be cutting more hours. If they counted 2-5pm as part of the coverage The Weather Channel can only air 5 hours of long form a night instead of 8. Which probably means and no this is not an actual schedule, just an example

4am - 8pm (Weather Coverage)
8pm - 11pm (Long Form)
11-1 am (Weather Coverage)
2-4 am (Long Form)

or
4am - 8pm (Weather Coverage)
8pm -10pm (Long Form)
10-12am (Weather Coverge)
1-4am (Long Form)

EDIT:
10 and 1 shows probably return. At least it's 4-8, 10-11, and 1-2, we get an overnight playlist now probably
hopefully they will listen enough now to at the very least bring back the instrumentals back in 2013. I'll keep
requesting.

If 2-5pm is counted that's 3 hours out of 11 so, 11 divided by 2 is 5.5 so about 5 hours is left for primetime.
The Bottom is more likely to be the one if entertainment focused.

HOWEVER if DirecTV still found a problem long form will be reduced to 4 hours a night on weekdays.
I sure hope this is the case.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 06:20:36 PM by weatherfan_2013 »

Offline WeatherSTARIII

• TWC fan 1991-2005
  • Legacy STAR fan
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #305 on: April 08, 2014, 07:07:15 PM »
Excuse me for a moment...

Why DirecTV? Why?! Something tells me that TWC is likely lying about promising to restore more live weather coverage now that DirecTV has reached a new deal. Great, more money out of our DirecTV bills.  :wall:

Believe it or not, I hate to say this (even on a TWC fan site), but because of NBC/Comcrap's recent corporate treatment of TWC, I was hoping for TWC to crash, burn, and die like what happened to G4 on most providers. DirecTV was the first major provider to drop G4 back in 2010 and other providers followed suit recently (even Comcast). I bet two days from now, TWC is going to acquire the rights to Honey Boo-Boo and break their promise of covering the weather. :censored: DirecTV has lost, those corporate demons at NBC/Comcast have won. There goes our money in our DirecTV bills.
Classic TWC, Weatherscan, legacy WeatherSTARs, and classic Prevue/TV Guide fan.

R.I.P. Weatherscan: 1999-2022

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
« Reply #306 on: April 08, 2014, 09:12:28 PM »
Hopefully TWC stays true to their word and goes back to more weather coverage (after all it is THE WEATHER CHANNEL).

So I wonder if DirecTV still has IS 24131, or another STAR?

Offline Stormsentinel

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
« Reply #307 on: April 08, 2014, 10:36:18 PM »
Hopefully TWC stays true to their word and goes back to more weather coverage (after all it is THE WEATHER CHANNEL).

So I wonder if DirecTV still has IS 24131, or another STAR?

They always had an app but never a STAR system of any kind since they take the national feed.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #308 on: April 09, 2014, 12:38:22 AM »
Saw this article on Yahoo! Sounds like TWC finally folded to DirecTV...

The Weather Channel Returns To DirecTV
https://tv.yahoo.com/news/weather-channel-returns-directv-184115273.html

Yep, DirecTV put a good hurtin' on their pockets, they had to concede. :lol:

Here's another arcticle that discusses that DirecTV agreed to a deal with TWC on one condition: slashing reality programming in half with live programming in it's place. Service will be restored to DTV customers today. WN will also remain on DTV.

Weather Channel cuts reality shows in DirecTV deal
https://tv.yahoo.com/news/weather-channel-cuts-reality-shows-directv-deal-190028001.html
« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 12:54:04 AM by toxictwister00 »

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

phw115wvwx

« Reply #309 on: April 09, 2014, 01:58:26 AM »
So, this whole issue has now made a complete full circle in the past three months.  What a waste of time and money, and who says this story won't repeat again in the future?  The only real leverage gained here is that DirecTV now airs a competitor against TWC when there were previously none.  I feel like this whole matter could have been solved in a week if cooperation and compromise would have been executed properly.  It didn't really help both sides well in the public eye of opinion.

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
« Reply #310 on: April 09, 2014, 08:10:56 AM »
Here's another arcticle that discusses that DirecTV agreed to a deal with TWC on one condition: slashing reality programming in half with live programming in it's place.

The good thing about this settlement is that it not only benefits those who have DirecTV by allowing them to once again watch TWC, but it also helps out the newly-minted non-DirecTV cable subscribers by improving the TWC experience for them.

Why DirecTV? Why?! Something tells me that TWC is likely lying about promising to restore more live weather coverage now that DirecTV has reached a new deal. Great, more money out of our DirecTV bills.

It goes to show that "permanent" channel drops don't go that far.  I gather that there is a sizable community out there which disapproved of DTV dropping TWC, with some even going as far as to claim they switched providers over the move.  Those viewers would supposedly be thrilled to be able to watch TWC on DTV, except for the fact that they've already switched.  Does DTV expect to magically get them back?

The only real leverage gained here is that DirecTV now airs a competitor against TWC when there were previously none.

Competition is generally a good thing.  WN certainly seemed good to me at the time because TWC had gone downhill, but that was before this dispute came to a head.  Even immediately before and just after TWC's forced exit from DTV, the channel made a considerable effort to trim the longform back in exchange for live coverage.  TWC is the established network here with the name recognition, and if that constant gets coupled with improvements, WN will suddenly pale in comparison.

Offline Pop Light Brown

• Ultimate Member
  • Bonjour!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #311 on: April 09, 2014, 11:12:16 AM »
WeatherNation is on Channel 361 while TWC has Channel 362 back. No local weather is on there yet, but I suspect the Intellistar they used before the dispute is coming back, perhaps with a new look.

Going live until 8pm Eastern is a much better scenario that I could live with. However, this is TWC. I don't trust them one bit to hold on to the agreement. I do watch WN and I like what they're doing. I do however,  wish they do improve their severe  weather coverage, which I do understand is coming. I do watch them in the morning, for I saw Sam Champion's show this morning and I hate it...a lot. Competition IS a beautiful thing.
See also #23622, Ch. 31, Hammond, La.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 09, 2014, 03:50:32 PM »
DirecTV still has 24131 (or another IntelliStar), because this is currently active..
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Pop Light Brown

• Ultimate Member
  • Bonjour!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #313 on: April 09, 2014, 04:59:25 PM »
I don't know if it's another STAR, but the interactive forecast isn't back yet (using the red button).
See also #23622, Ch. 31, Hammond, La.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 09, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »
I don't know if it's another STAR, but the interactive forecast isn't back yet (using the red button).
The local weather app we all know and love isnt a star at all, it was put up by the receiver itself..
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~